R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Official list of grievances

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:02 PM
godzilla
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by godzilla
Thinking back to what happened to the classic MKI .. I guess history is repeating itself.
Originally Posted by surfblue
Ah, the classic MKI...
So when are you installing that retro sliding windows kit in your modern Mini?
As the classic mini MKI was replaced by subsequent models it received a softer suspension, a fatter body, bigger (uglier) tail lights, cheap looking side mirrors, cheap looking dash with relocated speedo, cheap looking ugly steering wheel and other unnecessary changes in trim that caused the car to lose some of its character that made it so loveable in the first place.
.. and call me crazy but I think the sliding windows were cool!

Old 10-18-2006, 09:59 AM
vladimir
3rd Gear
early reviews its true been very sketchy, (most of them on not fully revealed cars, etc.) but focus on a loss in responsiveness, (couple of issues of automobile, for example), a result of size growth. some of the comments above speak to the issues of "emotion," and i think that is on target. some of us, perhaps, are disappointed that the intimate feel of the current interior is being sacrificed, (correctly pointed out in auto, for example). we wanted the MINI because it spoke to us. that connection is real. we just don't want to see the MINI "mainstreamed," and its not about lamenting about history, the loss of push out or sliding windows on the MKI and all that, that is needlessly harsh complaint in this thread. but is IS fair to be disappointed at the "personality" of the car being dissipated, and so early in its lifecycle...

Old 10-18-2006, 10:45 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vladimir
it IS fair to be disappointed at the "personality" of the car being dissipated, and so early in its lifecycle...
This is, of course a valid point. I'm still very much in love w/ my R50, and there is a certain personality to the car. For me, a lot of it came from having one of those first-generation Coopers. It is special, quirks and all.

As for the personality of MINIs being dissipated, I'm not sure it will be in the end...but it will change, and we just don't know enough yet to say for sure how much. Perhaps it's all a matter of perspective as to what "dissipated" actually means. Dissipated from what standard? Perhaps this is more a personal thing.

What I can predict with a fair amount of certainty this: folks will have their preferences between new and old no matter what. I will, too.

A disclaimer: I have to admit here that personally I love MINIs as Minis and not as performance cars. Shocking, I know. That puts me in a certain category of owner. I also would prefer a Mini with a 997cc engine...and I'd be very happy with a MINI OneD!! So mainstreaming doesn't scare me as much as it would (justifiably) others. I just like to motor. Many have more refined tastes.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:20 PM
godzilla
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by vladimir
early reviews its true been very sketchy, (most of them on not fully revealed cars, etc.) but focus on a loss in responsiveness, (couple of issues of automobile, for example), a result of size growth. some of the comments above speak to the issues of "emotion," and i think that is on target. some of us, perhaps, are disappointed that the intimate feel of the current interior is being sacrificed, (correctly pointed out in auto, for example). we wanted the MINI because it spoke to us. that connection is real. we just don't want to see the MINI "mainstreamed," and its not about lamenting about history, the loss of push out or sliding windows on the MKI and all that, that is needlessly harsh complaint in this thread. but is IS fair to be disappointed at the "personality" of the car being dissipated, and so early in its lifecycle...
I'm not sure if you meant that I was being too harsh.
If I was, I am sorry.
I guess I let my disappointment show a little too easily.
You hit the nail on the head by saying "S fair to be disappointed at the "personality" of the car being dissipated, and so early in its lifecycle... "

Old 10-18-2006, 02:25 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Me Too!

As the classic mini MKI was replaced by subsequent models it received a softer suspension, a fatter body, bigger (uglier) tail lights, cheap looking side mirrors, cheap looking dash with relocated speedo, cheap looking ugly steering wheel and other unnecessary changes in trim that caused the car to lose some of its character that made it so loveable in the first place.
.. and call me crazy but I think the sliding windows were cool!
I thought those sliders were cool too. I miss my MKI 62 Cooper!

Old 10-22-2006, 07:57 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
As cool as MINIs are (R-whatever), classic Minis are still the coolest, imo!!!

Old 10-25-2006, 05:01 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 03Indigo
here is a quick side by side comparo I just threw together....makes the differences in the arches more visible, and the obvious front end differences. From what I can see, the new Cooper gets the same side sills as the S...I had to change mine to S sills because I thought the standard cooper ones were too boring...same with the gas cap cover, I changed that as well.

i guess i'd hafta lower the crap outa' it. it does look suvish.anyone else gonna buy a classic?

Old 11-04-2006, 10:17 AM
godzilla
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by planeguy
1. Fake hood scoop......I HATE FAKE CRAP
Well, here's a good way to take advantage of that fake scoop! lol

Old 11-04-2006, 10:25 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
here's a good way to take advantage of that fake scoop!
Sure that'd work...anything!!!!

Old 11-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Matt2195
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jeffherbst
You know, it really does not look bad. I much prefer my '06 but really I bet that most people (read non mini owners) will not be able to tell the difference. And that says something for the designers who were trying to update the car without losing it's appeal. Show some pictures to your friends and see if they can tell which is '07 and which is not. I think you will be surprised.

I'm not a MINI owner, but I'm looking to buy one soon, and I must say that the '07 looks like a poorly put together sloppy rendition of the current ones. At times, I can be a perfectionist, so I LOVE attention to detail. Although I'm very young, I have an expensive taste, therefore I want something that looks nice, balanced, and clean cut. I was considering getting a Scion TC as my first car because I liked its uniqueness, but then stumbled across the MINI and liked it for its uniqueness and elegance, and the '07 just doesn't reflect that anymore IMO.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:09 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Matt2195
I'm not a MINI owner, but I'm looking to buy one soon, and I must say that the '07 looks like a poorly put together sloppy rendition of the current ones. At times, I can be a perfectionist, so I LOVE attention to detail. Although I'm very young, I have an expensive taste, therefore I want something that looks nice, balanced, and clean cut. I was considering getting a Scion TC as my first car because I liked its uniqueness, but then stumbled across the MINI and liked it for its uniqueness and elegance, and the '07 just doesn't reflect that anymore IMO.

OK... not intending to gash on you to hard here, so please take this the right way...

Have you actually looked close at the Scion? Sat in one? Driven one? Not really in the same league as the MINI (R53 or R56) as far as build quality (let alone performance).

Also, though I will agree that several of the design elements of the R56 LOOK like they might be kind of cheesy (like EVERYTHING below the speedo)... all the reviewes who have seen and actually "handled" the car seem to mention again and again that the materials used and the overall build quality of the car are better than the previous generation MINI.

...and there's the build quality of the BMW/Peugeot engine vs. the Chrysler cast iron mill. Granted, the old engine was bullet proof and had tons of charactor... but if you've ever pulled the heads off and looked at the milling done on those power plants... very rough third-world machine work there.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:33 AM
Matt2195
1st Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
OK... not intending to gash on you to hard here, so please take this the right way...

Have you actually looked close at the Scion? Sat in one? Driven one? Not really in the same league as the MINI (R53 or R56) as far as build quality (let alone performance).

Also, though I will agree that several of the design elements of the R56 LOOK like they might be kind of cheesy (like EVERYTHING below the speedo)... all the reviewes who have seen and actually "handled" the car seem to mention again and again that the materials used and the overall build quality of the car are better than the previous generation MINI.

...and there's the build quality of the BMW/Peugeot engine vs. the Chrysler cast iron mill. Granted, the old engine was bullet proof and had tons of charactor... but if you've ever pulled the heads off and looked at the milling done on those power plants... very rough third-world machine work there.
In refrence to the TC I just liked that it was somewhat unique, they were really the only recent car that I've seen use the whole single pane windshield to windsheild glass looking thing. IMO that alone created enough contrast to make the car look somewhat unique, so I see where you're coming from, however what I am talking about really comes down to looks. I like to look nice, therefore I want something that is giong to accent my look, and look just as nice. I like everything to look nice because the way I see it is.... in the world of business regardless of the product/service you offer, its all about selling yourself, all about the presentation, and ppl may not be able to tell much about u based on small little thingsl ike that, but they can sure make assumptions...........

.....getting back on topic.... I just like the way the current ones look, and IMO the new ones just look less unique, and from the outside less expensive.

.... that and the current ones seem to have more personality

Last edited by Matt2195; 11-08-2006 at 02:35 AM. Reason: I forgot some stuff
Old 11-08-2006, 08:16 AM
msh441
6th Gear
What I am talking about really comes down to looks. I like to look nice, therefore I want something that is giong to accent my look, and look just as nice. I like everything to look nice because the way I see it is.... in the world of business regardless of the product/service you offer, its all about selling yourself, all about the presentation, and ppl may not be able to tell much about u based on small little thingsl ike that, but they can sure make assumptions...........
If you want a car to reflect an upscale business professional... couldn't you spend the same amount of money as a new MINI and get a perfectly nice 3-year-old used Jag, BMW, Porsche or Land Rover? One of the nice general issue yuppie-mobiles?

Old 11-08-2006, 09:18 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You wouldn't be saying this if you had a current MINI and have had to take it into the shop numerous times to replace crappy interior parts, correct sketchy fit and finish issues, or attempt to find and fix rattles. The new car is all BMW, with all Rover leftovers forever gone.

Wait and see one in person around mid-Feb., take a test drive, then make your judgement. I'm sure, like at leat 75% of the previous naysayers, you'll come around. If not, well welcome to the world of Scion appliances.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:45 AM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
If you are in buisness and worried about selling yourself, the R56 looks a whole lot more grown up, and IMO a little bit refined than the previous MINIs that can be a positive or a negative but make no mistake it still has one heck of a personality

Old 11-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Bolomitch
2nd Gear
I started looking for a new car about 5 months ago and it has been a really roller coaster. I have always driven small pickups and now I wanted something more sporty and with better gas mileage that was unique and classy. First I looked at the usual Big Three, but I couldn't find anything that really appealed to me.

I finally thought I had found the perfect car in the Scion line. I liked that I could custom order it, it got good gas mileage, had some sporty features, and was pretty unique.

I was just about to pull the trigger and buy it when I was getting my haircut and my barber mentioned that he had a MINI Cooper and offered to take me for a ride. After about 10 seconds in the MINI I was done with the Scion.

I had never considered MINI until he mentioned it because the nearest dealership is over 100 miles away, but I quickly made an appointment to go drive one. It was the greatest driving experience of my life!

After careful consideration I decided to wait and buy a R56 MCS and I am currently number 2 on the waiting list at my dealership. I know many, many people on this board have been knocking the new model, but I really liked both the exterior and interior of the new model. I though it looked more aggressive outside and more classy inside.

The bottom line is that one I got close to a MINI I forgot all about the Scion. Honestly I haven't thought of it at all until I read the post about it here.

The Scion just wasn't even in the same class as the Cooper R53 or R56 regarding uniqueness, service, style, and performance.

Just my opinion.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:02 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
In refrence to the TC I just liked that it was somewhat unique, they were really the only recent car that I've seen use the whole single pane windshield to windsheild glass looking thing. IMO that alone created enough contrast to make the car look somewhat unique, so I see where you're coming from, however what I am talking about really comes down to looks. I like to look nice, therefore I want something that is giong to accent my look, and look just as nice. I like everything to look nice because the way I see it is.... in the world of business regardless of the product/service you offer, its all about selling yourself, all about the presentation, and ppl may not be able to tell much about u based on small little thingsl ike that, but they can sure make assumptions...........

.....getting back on topic.... I just like the way the current ones look, and IMO the new ones just look less unique, and from the outside less expensive.

.... that and the current ones seem to have more personality
I agree with this and I have a similar predicament as I use the car 70% for business and I am always seen in it.

And I believe I am going to go the 3 Series route with my next purchase.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Matt2195
1st Gear
Originally Posted by lurch70
I agree with this and I have a similar predicament as I use the car 70% for business and I am always seen in it.

And I believe I am going to go the 3 Series route with my next purchase.
I do very much like the BMW 3 series, the main thing I like about it is its agressive look, although personally I liked the new Lexus IS. They are relatively the same price, and from my experience Lexus is more reliable, a perfect balance of sport and luxury, and is the most technologically advanced.

As for the '07 MINI, I'm not saying its an atrocious car, however the exterior design is considerably less appealing to me than the '06

Old 11-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Matt2195
1st Gear

I DO have to say.... this particular angle makes the car look a little nicer than I've seen in other photos

Old 11-09-2006, 07:49 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Although I'm very young, I have an expensive taste, therefore I want something that looks nice, balanced, and clean cut. I was considering getting a Scion TC
Is today oxymoron day or what? Just to be sure I read this right ... you have expensive tastes and were looking at a scion

Silly me, I though Lexus was the premier Toyota brand.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:04 PM
godzilla
3rd Gear

I DO have to say.... this particular angle makes the car look a little nicer than I've seen in other photos
The Aero kit helps the looks tremendously.
Plus, with the K.I.T.T. scoop option you can pretend that you are David Hasselhoff!
Just remember to keep sucking in your gut!

Old 11-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Matt2195
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Is today oxymoron day or what? Just to be sure I read this right ... you have expensive tastes and were looking at a scion

Silly me, I though Lexus was the premier Toyota brand.
haha, yeah.... I don't know why I included scion, although I have to admit, I did like it when it first came out. My point was however, that the MINI looked more expensive than it actually was (from the exterior anyway)

Old 11-10-2006, 03:46 PM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
can we explain perhaps what exactly makes the R56 cheap?

Old 11-11-2006, 05:50 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
There is a full test drive review in the Dec. 06 issue of AUTOMOBILE magazine.

While overall positive, and ending with "It is a better car than its predecesor, even if the differences are incremental" ... I thought this quote describing the center stack was a hoot

"Then there's the new center console: the heater controls seem to wrok well enough, but the remaining switchgear appears to have been placed in a small bag, attached to a small incendiary device, detonated, and then glued in place where the pieces landed. There are fiddly little buttons everywhere."

Old 11-11-2006, 06:57 AM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
That's good to hear. I typically agree with automobile magazine's opinions, so I'm happy to hear a positive review from them.

the heater control comment is pretty funny, though