R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 a lot of pics from MINI2 R56 Preview

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 08:42 AM
flyboy2160
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by camelpilot
This crap is straight out of a Walt Disney cartoon. What kind of rip off bs is this?

And is that what MINI has learned about us from the first gen model??? That we are a bunch of EFFING CLOWNS??????!!
what he said

Old 07-29-2006, 09:48 AM
CooperGear
Banned
I a feeling that much better about my '05 that I picked up this February! If I had to buy this MINI I would just walk away from the brand. I do like the dark wiper stalk, but that is it.

The AC controls are cartoonish. The radio in the speedo...WTF? I like my MINI head unit but not everyone does. The doors are cool I guess, but the mirror control in the door? I don't like.

I think that they are going to end up hurting themselves because I believe that many return customers will not return!

Sure, more power, lighter...blah blah... but I think that these points are not enough to make the car successful.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:57 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by COOPERation
The hot and cold faucets are colorfully well labeled...
... now you totally killed it for me ... Is it from a high end Kohler line at least?

Is MINI F'in serious with this center stack ... how the heck did this pass the design stage?

Ok guys ... we got some leftover crap from Captain Marvel and the land of tomorrow ... made in China stuff ... we got it for pennies on the dollar. First person that molds A/C controls out of this gets a $10K bonus [/Ari]

Old 07-29-2006, 12:13 PM
mini-number1
2nd Gear
2007 cooper diesel

Has eny one herd about a diesel? I know diesels get way better gas millage. If you mave email me at mini-number1@hotmail.com. thanks.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:53 PM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
where's the dsc control?

like the anthracite stalks on the steering column too!

Old 07-29-2006, 07:11 PM
QWKSLVR
2nd Gear
Quoting RED FURY....

Puke
Vomit
Barf
Boot
Regurgitation
Hurl
Projectile Vomit
Ralf
Spew
Heave
Toss
Blow Chunks
Chuck
CallRalphOnBigWhitePhone
The Technicolour Yawn
York
Shout Europe at the sink
Reversal of Fortune
Pray to the Porcelain God

ALL OF THE ABOVE..!!!.....:impatient :impatient

Old 07-29-2006, 08:16 PM
rajron
3rd Gear
Did any one notice where the battery is?

Old 07-29-2006, 10:15 PM
andromcs
3rd Gear
Performance....I want to see a side-by-side comparison...old vs new....and....let's wait and see about reliability. My '05 has been almost perfect except for a couple of minor items....of course they had a few years to get it right. I have a hunch that they wouldn't make it a lesser car than it is...ultiimately they would lose sales....that's not why they're in business. Of course they would look for ways to cut costs in a redesign or refresh, but this doesn't have to result in less performance, reliability or ultimate quality.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:19 PM
Orca
2nd Gear
[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Robinlyn\My Documents\My Pictures\Mini\PICT0026_t.jpg[/IMG]
The rear end is disconnected sculpturally. Really sucks breaking the lines this way. Means I will be keeping my 06 for a few years. Can't see this catching on. New car also has too big a front nose and too large headlamps, kind of like a walleyed fish. I won't be buying one.

Old 07-30-2006, 07:21 AM
protoculture
3rd Gear
Nothing about it bothers me. Will have to see a few in person before I pass final judgment, but I like it a lot based on these pictures. A/C control seems somewhat gimmicky, but as I'm typically looking at the road, I've got no big gripes. If it's received very poorly, I would imagine it'll be changed.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:27 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by resmini
And many of the nattering nabobs would have had exactly the same negative response, no matter what the changes were.
So anyone that doesn't agree with you is a 'nattering nabob?'

Zip

Old 07-30-2006, 08:36 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by erickvonzipper
'nattering nabob'
Perhaps it's a compliment??

Old 07-30-2006, 08:37 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
I had purchased my '05 because the looks of the '02 that I saw at a car show in '02 just blew me away. The new car does absolutely nothing for me visually. I tell people that ask me about my car (and a lot of people do) that I plan on keeping it for a long time. Now that I've seen the replacement, I'm positive that I'll be keeping it a very long time.

Maybe the MINI will go through the 'Coca-Cola Syndrome.' Introduce something new that so many people find distasteful that they switch back to the original, labeling issues notwithstanding (Coca-Cola 'Classic').

From what I've read, much of the exterior change (front, anyway) was in response to European pedestrian safety standards? As in, how would a pedestrian fare if struck by the front of the car (higher hood, windshield wipers)? Anyone?

Zip

Old 07-30-2006, 07:23 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
I wanna sell my MINI now for an 07 I likieee. Cant wait to see a complete picture of it.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:27 PM
resmini
6th Gear
So anyone that doesn't agree with you is a 'nattering nabob?'

Zip
I read my post again and that's not what I said.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:44 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Well, you said you wanted one, then said 'many of the nattering nabobs would have had exactly the same negative response, no matter what the changes were.' Although you didn't come right out and say it, the implication is there.

I guess what got me was the labeling. I try to make a point, if I am being critical, of directing it towards words or actions where applicable/necessary/prudent, and not people themselves. Labels (nattering nabob?), to me, are (can be) critical of people themselves. Pickyness on my part? Perhaps. But I try not to call people names, no matter how innocent it may seem.

My .02.

Zip

Old 07-31-2006, 08:18 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Well, you said you wanted one, then said 'many of the nattering nabobs would have had exactly the same negative response, no matter what the changes were.' Although you didn't come right out and say it, the implication is there.

I guess what got me was the labeling. I try to make a point, if I am being critical, of directing it towards words or actions where applicable/necessary/prudent, and not people themselves. Labels (nattering nabob?), to me, are (can be) critical of people themselves. Pickyness on my part? Perhaps. But I try not to call people names, no matter how innocent it may seem.

My .02.

Zip
Maybe I should have looked up "nattering nabob" before I repeated it. Sorry.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:52 AM
Electric Shock
6th Gear
I like what I see of the exterior. To me, it is the same basic design. Sure nearly each piece has something changed but it still has the same basic shape. The exterior changes are not all that dramatic when compared to other car re-designs like the BMW design changes of recent years.

The interior (mostly the dash) raises some doubt. But I have to see it in person knowing that pictures can't really capture the whole especially regarding the interior.

I find it interesting that a few pictures can bring about such negativity from so many people. Rarely do I see anyone say "I don't think I like it as much". Instead it is total and complete revulsion from most of those that don't like it. But everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Oh and I was going to say that it seems they are bringing EB back? But then I saw someone said it is a new "Laser Blue". Close enough to EB, judging by the pictures.

Like it or not, I still can't wait to see one live. What are they saying now? January?

Old 07-31-2006, 09:11 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Electric Shock
changed The exterior changes are not all that dramatic when compared to other car re-designs like the BMW design changes of recent years.

Like it or not, I still can't wait to see one live. What are they saying now? January?
Yep, the "Bangle Butt" BMW got all kind of negative reviews, while at the same time BMW sales were going up.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:22 AM
Electric Shock
6th Gear
Originally Posted by resmini
Yep, the "Bangle Butt" BMW got all kind of negative reviews, while at the same time BMW sales were going up.
True.

Which brings up something for me. I am very happy that they are changing the MINI. Whether those changes are good or bad overall still remains to be seen. But the positive note is that it now sets a finite number of first gen MINIs. Presumably all future generations of the MINI will sell more overall than the one we all have. This, for me, kind of cements in my mind that I have an "instant classic".

If I like the next MINI, I may buy one at some point. But it would be a second MINI in my garage because the way I feel now, I will never want to give up the one I presently have.

In ten years when MINI is perhaps starting up the fourth generation, it will likely be substantially different from what we have now and there will be so many fewer first gens on the road. How cool will a first gen be then? (I like to dream).

Old 07-31-2006, 09:29 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Electric Shock
Which brings up something for me. I am very happy that they are changing the MINI. Whether those changes are good or bad overall still remains to be seen.
Very good point. It should help MINI get away from some of the New Beetle and PT Cruiser comparisons by actually showing an intent to evolve the car rather than be a one shot wonder.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:58 AM
mburchill36
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gizzer777
At first my major concern was that new Motor...do not like 1st year of anything...now that I see what they did...especially with the interior trim...I will be keeping my 04 MSC for a very long time!

When it ain't broken...why fix it?

Yeah - I feel the same way. I remember seeing pics of a non-functioning full-scale mockup that was 'unveiled' at an autoshow last year on motoringfile.com and I was NOT impressed !!!

I felt the center console, with the loss of the downtubes, made the interior look really whimpy. Now my fears have been confirmed... The interior looks like it belongs in a toy car. They took a great looking interior (I guess all to save costs) and f*@*ed it up BIG TIME ... What a shame.

I too will be hanging onto my '03 for a veeeeery long time. In fact, I'll bet it's the variant/generation that will become the collector's item.

- - m

Old 07-31-2006, 11:59 AM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...the center console, with the loss of the downtubes, made the interior look really whimpy.
I do think the center stack is the weakest part of the interior. I have no idea what that **** in the middle does -- it looks lost out there. The color contrast helps from a usability standpoint, but they went overboard in making it cute. The real test will be the materials and fit and finish on the rest of the dash. I think they did a good job with the look of the doors, and if they do as well with the dash I think that'll help considerably.

Ergonomically, I like the placement of the radio and I don't mind the lack of an ability to easily replace it, because every single aftermarket head unit I've ever had has been stolen. I do hope that they have a good upgrade unit though. The H/K system is OK, but the onboard DSP is way too heavy-handed to be useful. I wouldn't be surprised if the extra space in the stack isn't for radio placement with different speedo-spot options.

In fact, the thing I like most about the current design (I do get to drive my wife's 2004 MC when I can pry the keys away from her) is the ergonomics around the steering wheel -- all the controls are in the right place, and it looks like they haven't messed with that.

-W-

Old 07-31-2006, 02:30 PM
Fool68
2nd Gear
I'm sensing an aftermarket need for replacement head units ;-)

Old 07-31-2006, 03:30 PM
Xman
3rd Gear
S badge ?

Just wondering -and forgive me if that question has been answered before- why do I still see "S" badges on the next generation eventhough it will be a Turbo ?

Quick Reply: R56 a lot of pics from MINI2 R56 Preview