R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Simple Solution to Change Transmission Fluid WORKS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 07:42 AM
RicksterR56
1st Gear
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Simple Solution to Change Transmission Fluid WORKS!

Hi Guys,

I'm doing this write up with pictures because I have read and heard of hundreds of guys who are disassembling their front ends, taking off wheels, spilling fluid everywhere... and hundreds more who are afraid to do it because of these write-ups! LOL.

Here's a simple solution to change your transmission fluid that works without spillage or frustration!!!!!
  • I took off my air box to turbo pipe (tube). That is the only thing that needs to be removed.
  • I opened the fill plug (55 Torx). Screw in the brass fitting to the fill plug hole (Brass Fitting Connector Metric M14-1.5 Male to Barb Fit Hose ID 10mm). I use a 10" long 1/4" extension lightly taped to the fitting. Just make it hand tight then pull off extension.
  • I did the typical drain the fluid, first the plug, then the little pipe. I measured the amount of fluid - exactly 3 quarts. I find it better to have the front of the car slightly higher than the rear.
  • Pushed the clear filler tube onto the barb.
  • Screw quart bottle onto filler tube top. Jab a hole in it to let the air in and help it drain. Repeat. Remember, put in the amount you drained.
  • That is it!!!!
Enjoy,

Rick

The following 4 users liked this post by RicksterR56:
bugeye1031 (07-31-2021), ECSTuning (08-12-2021), giorgos (08-07-2021), Rob Rocheleau (08-08-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 09:23 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Rick -
Nice! Thanks!

Can you let us know where you sourced the brass fitting, filler tube, and clear tubing?

Thanks again!

Old 07-31-2021, 09:44 AM
RicksterR56
1st Gear
The parts were found:

Brass Fitting Connector Metric M14-1.5 Male to Barb Fit Hose ID 10mm - Online / Amazon / (none of the big hardware stores carry it) - $7
Brass 1/2 - 3/8 fitting (since filler tube is 1/2" and connector is 3/8" - Home Depot / Lowes - $5
10' 3/8 clear hose - Home Depot / Lowes - $8
hose clamps - Home Depot / Lowes - $1
Filler tube - Walmart / Ace Hardware - $5

The following users liked this post:
bugeye1031 (08-13-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 08:26 AM
crazy4trains
3rd Gear
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Great Idea!

My only concern would be if your transmission didn't already have the correct fluid level. If it's not leaking you should be 99% confident.

I just bought a pump that is supposed to have the correct adapter to let me fill from the drain plug. I think I'll use your method for several drains/fills then use my fluid pump only if I drop the pan to change the filter. I think trans filter changes are over-rated but fluid changes are critical.

Old 08-03-2021, 01:02 PM
RicksterR56
1st Gear
Originally Posted by crazy4trains
Great Idea!

My only concern would be if your transmission didn't already have the correct fluid level. If it's not leaking you should be 99% confident.

I just bought a pump that is supposed to have the correct adapter to let me fill from the drain plug. I think I'll use your method for several drains/fills then use my fluid pump only if I drop the pan to change the filter. I think trans filter changes are over-rated but fluid changes are critical.
Hi crazy4trains,

Yes, definitely have no leaks. But if you were unsure about correct amount of fluid, just level the car, remove bottom plug and keep pouring in fill hole until fluid runs out. Then you're at the top of the little pipe... right level of fluid. Screw in the drain plug and done!

​​​​​​​Thanks!!

Old 08-07-2021, 07:29 PM
giorgos
4th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by RicksterR56
Hi Guys,
Thank you for sharing!

I just finished the first of two partial flushes with this method, after seeing your post just two days before starting work on my N16. I bought a similar looking fitting connector at a local parts shop for agricultural machines along with a slim end funnel, 1m of hose and two hose clamps. Paid less than the equivalent of ten bucks for everything (plus the price for the ATF fluid, of course).

The only "difficulty" of the method is torqing the fitting connector adequately so that it doesn't leak at all (space is very limited and there is no room to use a socket). I could only slightly tighten it after tightening the hose onto it and twisting (the hose) with my hands as much as it would go. There was some leakage (between the fitting adapter and the transmission casing) but not enough to drip out of the recess right underneath the fill plug (probably less than 25ml). A quick wipe after being done finished the job.

By the way: instead of measuring the volume of the drained fluid, I measured its weight and used the equivalent of fresh fluid to pour in. This way I didn't have to worry about volume variation of the ATF fluid due to temperature differences. Still, I may use the drain plug's "indicator pipe" the second time in order to be absolutely confident that the ATF is at the correct level.

But if you were unsure about correct amount of fluid, just level the car, remove bottom plug and keep pouring in fill hole until fluid runs out. Then you're at the top of the little pipe... right level of fluid. Screw in the drain plug and done!
This method requires monitoring the ATF's temperature and making sure that it is between 35 and 45 degrees C. This can be done with an OBD cable in combination with ISTA (Windows) or DeepOBD (Android).

PS.: Originally I intended to use the 10mm side plug behind the front left wheel arching as a filler plug. However, some ATF spilled out of that one when I unscrewed it, meaning that the ATF level inside was higher than the plug. This may have been due to the car leaning slightly towards the left hand side but then I saw your op and didn't even bother leveling the car.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:29 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Nice! Yep you can get it from that top plug. I like you adapter

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-15-2021, 02:03 PM
RicksterR56
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Nice! Yep you can get it from that top plug. I like you adapter
ECSTuning

Thanks! BTW - you guys should add the brass connector and the filler tube to your kit. I always check you guys first for parts and having these would make life easy!!!

ECSTuning (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 10:01 AM
hndle
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
crazy4trains
(me too!)
Can you post a link to the adapter that allows fill from bottom? I have one that I used on my Golf DSG, but it's larger than the drain on the Mini.

Thanks!

Old 08-11-2022, 10:29 PM
Gubi
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Guys, forget about filling from the top. It's a PITA and you're never going be sure you got the level right unless you check it.

Spend the $80 to get the right tool and buy an ATF pressure filler. This one comes with the right adapter for the R56 Aisin automatic:

Amazon Amazon

Use that and follow the procedure I posted at the link below. It's clean, it's easy, and you'll get the level exactly right.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4497397

Old 07-19-2023, 12:40 PM
Maybe, maybe not
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm doing this write up with pictures because I have read and heard of hundreds of guys who are disassembling their front ends, taking off wheels, spilling fluid everywhere... and hundreds more who are afraid to do it because of these write-ups! LOL.
I've done a small amount of reading and watching videos on mini automatic transmission fluid replacement. This method looks very promising to me.

I have one question. I have a base model 2012 R56. Could this clever method be used to add ATF to the transmission with the engine running while monitoring ATF temperature and watching for ATF overflow from the inspection hole?

Old 07-21-2023, 04:17 PM
white46
2nd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Yes. Engine should be running while monitoring temp and overflow.

Old 07-22-2023, 09:48 AM
giorgos
4th Gear
Originally Posted by white46
Yes. Engine should be running while monitoring temp and overflow.
According to users of a german MINI forum, starting/running the engine with the plug (indicated in the OP of this thread) removed, will result in ATF gushing out under pressure. I have not verified this myself but if true, it will result in a big mess and loss of ATF (which can then no longer be measured in order to refill the amount required).

Old 07-27-2023, 08:43 AM
Maybe, maybe not
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by giorgos
According to users of a german MINI forum, starting/running the engine with the plug (indicated in the OP of this thread) removed, will result in ATF gushing out under pressure. I have not verified this myself but if true, it will result in a big mess and loss of ATF (which can then no longer be measured in order to refill the amount required).
Is there a video link(s) that shows this ATF gushing problem?

The idea of ATF gushing from the fill hole with the engine idling is puzzling if you read the ATF filling instructions provided in the 2007-13 mini factory service manual (see below).

ATF level is checked by the overflow method
1) Place gear selector lever in PARK.
2) Connect MINI scan tool to vehicle.
3) Raise car and support in a safe manner. Make sure vehicle is level.
4) Remove the T55 ATF filler plug on transmission.
5) Place a clean drip tray underneath transmission to catch fluid.
6) Remove ATF inspection plug from transmission sump.
7) Top off ATF through fill hole until it overflows at inspection hole.
8) Start engine and run at idle.
9) Check and see if any more ATF runs out of inspection hole. If not, continue to add ATF.
10) Press brake pedal and slowly shift from P to D twice. Put gear selector back in P and release brake pedal.
11) Check and see if any ATF runs out of inspection hole.
12) Read ATF temperature with MINI scan tool.

ATF temperature specification for level check
ATF operating temperature 35 - 45C (95 -113F)

13) With ATF at operating temperature, top off ATF until it runs out of inspection hole. A gravity fed ATF filler tool is best to use for filling transmission.
14) Install inspection and filler plugs to transmission. Be sure to replace sealing gaskets.

Last edited by Maybe, maybe not; 07-27-2023 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-27-2023, 09:11 AM
Maybe, maybe not
2nd Gear
The only "difficulty" of the method is torqing the fitting connector adequately so that it doesn't leak at all (space is very limited and there is no room to use a socket). I could only slightly tighten it after tightening the hose onto it and twisting (the hose) with my hands as much as it would go. There was some leakage (between the fitting adapter and the transmission casing)...
Could the leakage be prevented by transferring the O-ring from the T55 fill bolt to the brass adapter?

Old 07-28-2023, 09:02 AM
Gubi
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Maybe, maybe not

The idea of ATF gushing from the fill hole with the engine idling is puzzling if you read the ATF filling instructions provided in the 2007-13 mini factory service manual (see below).
The gushing issue is when using the fill hole at the top of the transmission noted in the original post in this thread. The Mini procedure is to fill from the bottom hole.

If you use the tool and procedure I linked to above to fill from below then it's a pretty easy job. Just spend a few bucks for the pressure fill tool and do it right.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4497397

Maybe, maybe not (03-28-2024)
Old 07-28-2023, 10:54 AM
Maybe, maybe not
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gubi
The gushing issue is when using the fill hole at the top of the transmission noted in the original post in this thread. The Mini procedure is to fill from the bottom hole.
I'm absolutely convinced that ATF filling and topping off via the bottom drain hole works well.

Is ATF gushing from the T55 fill hole with the engine running a verified problem for second generation R56 mini coopers? The anecdotal accounts I have read about this problem seem to conflict with the ATF filling and topping off procedure detailed in the 2007-2013 mini cooper factory service manual. Are the anecdotal accounts correct and is the factory service manual procedure wrong or written imprecisely?

Old 07-28-2023, 09:06 PM
giorgos
4th Gear
I can't find the post in the german forum anymore. However, here is an excerpt of BMW's instructions for checking the ATF level. Note the position of the filler plug mentioned therein.

Old 07-28-2023, 09:12 PM
giorgos
4th Gear
I haven't seen one.

...if you read the ATF filling instructions provided in the 2007-13 mini factory service manual (see below).
Where is this from? BMW/MINI or any other source? How is the filler plug identified?

Old 07-28-2023, 09:13 PM
white46
2nd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Yes. this is what I looked too. It states to start the car and run at idle then check the level when oil temp is between 35C-45C.
Oil will be under pressure, but it is what it is.

Old 07-29-2023, 04:56 AM
Maybe, maybe not
2nd Gear
I can't find the post in the german forum anymore. However, here is an excerpt of BMW's instructions for checking the ATF level. Note the position of the filler plug mentioned therein.
Posts from MiniToBe and Lex2008 in the two threads below have led me to the same PDF and conclusion. Thanks.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4424253
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ion-fluid.html

Last edited by Maybe, maybe not; 07-29-2023 at 05:06 AM.
Old 07-29-2023, 05:04 AM
Maybe, maybe not
2nd Gear
Where is this from?
Bentley 2007-2013 Mini Cooper factory service manual
I think that BMW/Mini Cooper may have created the PDF to correct the service manual ATF fill and top up procedure that used of the problematic T55 bolt on top of the transmission.

Old 07-29-2023, 05:33 AM
giorgos
4th Gear
Bentley 2007-2013 Mini Cooper factory service manual
I think that BMW/Mini Cooper may have created the PDF to correct the service manual ATF fill and top up procedure that used of the problematic T55 bolt on top of the transmission.
Reason for this assumption?

The excerpt I posted is from TIS (containing the official instructions by BMW/MINI's to their own service technicians on how to execute repairs, installations, etc.), not a separate or application specific document.

More importantly: You didn't answer on how the filler plug is identified in the Bentley manual.

Old 07-29-2023, 05:49 AM
Maybe, maybe not
2nd Gear
You didn't answer on how the filler plug is identified in the Bentley manual.
Bentley service manual picture of T55 fill bolt:

Old 07-29-2023, 01:14 PM
Gubi
3rd Gear
I think the confusion may be that (as shown in the links Maybe posted) there were two different fill bolts were using to fill from the top. The one from the top is under pressure but the one in the Mini TSB is not, I believe.

Either way, the ATF pressure filler works a treat and makes this job pretty easy. No hard-to-reach T55 bolt, no trying to slowly fill thick gear oil through a funnel. Buy once, cry once is what I've learned when it comes to tools.

Maybe, maybe not (07-29-2023)

Quick Reply: R56 Simple Solution to Change Transmission Fluid WORKS!