R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Stereo wont power on, intermittent issue.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 03:46 AM
no1stunner
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Stereo wont power on, intermittent issue.

Hi guys. I am having this intermittent issue. About once every couple weeks my stereo wont power on. I start the car and I don't see the time, so I know it wont be working for that drive cycle. I push the power button, nothing happens. Sometimes it wont work at all for the entire day. Other times it may not work at first, but will start working if I shut the car off to run in a store for an errand. It will come back on once I return to the car after shopping. It does not change while driving. The car must be turned off for the night or for at least 30 minutes before it decides it does or does not want to work.

Here is the weird thing. I usually use keyless entry (the button on the door). I've noticed if keyless entry button is not working, that means my stereo will not either. If keyless entry is working, so is the stereo.

I don't think its a fuse as the fuse wont go back and forth, it will just always be out. I don't think its a loose connection because it will not cut in out while driving. It will stay working or not working for that particular drive cycle. I don't know if its the head unit because why would the keyless entry go out as well?

Any ideas? Has anyone seen this before? Thanks.