R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Radio Is dead - 2013 hatch

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 02:05 PM
2cati
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Radio Is dead - 2013 hatch

My daughter advised me that the radio was acting strange when she took it to the gas station. The radio came on but she was unable to change the volume or change stations. On her way to the gas station the screen went back. Once she arrived at the gas station, she turned he car off but the radio was still playing. She filled up/ paid for the gas and the readily was off - no sound. She started the car is and the radio now won’t turn on.

I did some searching and it seems these Radios have a high failure rate.

The car recently had the FRM recall work completed at a mini dealership but from what I read that shouldn’t impact the radio. The battery was replaced by the mini dealer a year ago so it’s definitely not the battery. The climate control and everything else seems to be functioning.

The fuses in the footwell are fine. I haven’t checked the fuse behind the radio (I read a post there is one on the back of the radio). There is no moisture in the foot wells and my sunroof drains are not plugged.

Before I rip the dash apart, is there any known issues with the wiring or harnesses that would cause this problem? Ant other pointers?

Also, if the radio is dead and I find one from a local wrecker, will it be plug and play or will some form of reprogramming be required?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited by 2cati; 01-01-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts
You probably best to pull that radio out and check the fuse behind the radio first. If the fuse is still good, and with all the other checks you've done, then yes, it's a failed radio and you'll need to replace it. These radios have a high failure rate. I've gone through four 2nd gen mini's so far, and one of them has a bad radio after 2 years of use.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:59 AM
2cati
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Yupetc
You probably best to pull that radio out and check the fuse behind the radio first. If the fuse is still good, and with all the other checks you've done, then yes, it's a failed radio and you'll need to replace it. These radios have a high failure rate. I've gone through four 2nd gen mini's so far, and one of them has a bad radio after 2 years of use.
Thanks, I’ll wait for warmer weather before is tackle removing it to check the fuse. I just feel the way it failed gradually doesn’t seem like an issue with a fuse going.

Ill scan the local ads for a radio from a mini being parted. Does anyone know if the radio needs to be programmed or is it plug and play?

Old 01-02-2020, 12:47 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Old 01-02-2020, 01:54 PM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cati
Thanks, I’ll wait for warmer weather before is tackle removing it to check the fuse. I just feel the way it failed gradually doesn’t seem like an issue with a fuse going.

Ill scan the local ads for a radio from a mini being parted. Does anyone know if the radio needs to be programmed or is it plug and play?

Use Realoem.com and put your VIN in there, then perform the part search through those simple to follow diagram finders. Once you come across the exact part number matching what your radio should be, just plug it on eBay and buy it there, it'll be cheap and convenient. I got mine for $85 doing it this way. If you can't come across that part, then go to car-parts.com and navigate your way into their junky database and find the junkyard dealer's posting. I'm quite sure you'll come across one. Price varies.

Old 01-03-2020, 01:11 PM
2cati
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Yupetc
Use Realoem.com and put your VIN in there, then perform the part search through those simple to follow diagram finders. Once you come across the exact part number matching what your radio should be, just plug it on eBay and buy it there, it'll be cheap and convenient. I got mine for $85 doing it this way. If you can't come across that part, then go to car-parts.com and navigate your way into their junky database and find the junkyard dealer's posting. I'm quite sure you'll come across one. Price varies.

Thank you everyone for your posts.

Thats a great way to find a plug and play radio! Thank you.

Well, well, well, my daughter updated me the Radio is mysteriously working perfectly again - it came on when she started the car - full display and fully functioning.....

These minis are a nightmare.

There must be some corrosion somewhere or cold solder joints - I may take a look in the summer time permitting.

I’ll continue to update this thread with developments.

Last edited by 2cati; 01-03-2020 at 01:25 PM.