R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test time for my new friends: Interference engine - bent valves...blown pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 07:54 AM
idosubaru
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test time for my new friends: Interference engine - bent valves...blown pistons?

sorry if this should be included in my other post - to me this seemed like a different topic and could conflate the other...

If interference occurs do these:
a. bend valves
b. damage pistons
c. damage the block
d. all of the above are likely?

Old 07-15-2019, 08:42 AM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by idosubaru
sorry if this should be included in my other post - to me this seemed like a different topic and could conflate the other...

If interference occurs do these:
a. bend valves
b. damage pistons
c. damage the block
d. all of the above are likely?

Most times just bent valves. If it's heavily modded while the internals are stock, then I can't say it won't damage the engine internals.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:09 AM
idosubaru
Neutral
Originally Posted by Yupetc
Most times just bent valves. If it's heavily modded while the internals are stock, then I can't say it won't damage the engine internals.
Great, thanks. I know nothing is guaranteed but it's all stock, non-turbo.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:51 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
It depends on the cause!
It might interfere for many reasons and each one comes with its issues. For example, loose timing chain tenioner might cause bent valves. If the vacuum pump seizes, then you have more damage like bent valves, broken chain, and broken ex sprocket bolt, and some damage to the block....and so on.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:13 AM
idosubaru
Neutral
Is the timing chain easier/less labor if the engine is out? It's a manual trans so I could pull the engine and do the clutch and timing chain (and possibly head work) at the same time if there's significant time savings.

Originally Posted by MiniToBe
It depends on the cause!
It might interfere for many reasons and each one comes with its issues. For example, loose timing chain tenioner might cause bent valves. If the vacuum pump seizes, then you have more damage like bent valves, broken chain, and broken ex sprocket bolt, and some damage to the block....and so on.
Sure thing, I'll get the valve cover off and check, seems likely it's the chain tensioner and guides. The vacuum pump was replaced by the dealer 2 years ago and the noise/still turns over/'starts', etc seem to point to chain tensioner/guides.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:29 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
I read your other post again. the noise you mentioned could be a loose/flown valve rocker follower on the intake side. I have heard a couple of stories about that. So, yeah you have to first remove the valve cover and check the followers too.

everything is easy once the engine is out, but you have to remember to do the final angle on the crankshaft bolt after installation unless you have someone holding the engine.

I have not done a clutch yet, but if I were to do it, I would either remove the sub frame and slide it from the bottom, or remove the nose and pull the whole thing out. My average speed now is about half a day to pull the nose and have the engine on the floor.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:04 AM
idosubaru
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
I read your other post again. the noise you mentioned could be a loose/flown valve rocker follower on the intake side. I have heard a couple of stories about that. So, yeah you have to first remove the valve cover and check the followers too.

everything is easy once the engine is out, but you have to remember to do the final angle on the crankshaft bolt after installation unless you have someone holding the engine.

I have not done a clutch yet, but if I were to do it, I would either remove the sub frame and slide it from the bottom, or remove the nose and pull the whole thing out. My average speed now is about half a day to pull the nose and have the engine on the floor.
Great, thanks. I'll diagnose first and report back.