R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Track driving R56 (Suspension & Brakes)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 03:02 PM
Lv15Rattata
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Track driving R56 (Suspension & Brakes)

Hello everyone,
I am new here, but I have owned my R56 for a little over 10 months now. I want to track my R56, but I also need to use it for daily driving. Is there any specific brake parts or kits and coilover sets that are good for daily driving and track days?

Old 11-16-2018, 09:41 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
For your first track day or two, you'll be fine with a better set of pads and flushing your brake fluid with high temp fluid.

Pads: EBC Yellows for the front, stock in the back were fine for my first few track days. Carbotech 1521s worked well with my son and I doing back to back sessions at Thunder Hill. As you get better and faster you'll need a higher performance pad for the track that won't be a good choice on the street. So learn how to swap the pads yourself, it isn't hard. Lots of threads here about pads for the track, lots of other recommendations beyond what I mentioned.

Brake Fluid: I have been using Motul RBF600 with excellent results.

Start with minimal changes (pads and brake fluid), get to know the car. Then slowly make more changes. Check out the Gen2 mods topic in the FAQ for a lot of detail on other mods for handling/performance.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:40 PM
E34M5
3rd Gear
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Stiffer rear sway bar and lowering springs/alignment makes a huge difference, stiffer rear bar will allow the rear to swing more easily and will prevent you from pushing through the corners. It's like the front end just plows straight through even though you are turning, usually when your coming in too hot and/or its slick. I installed H&R street springs and H&R 22mm rear bar(you will know what i mean when it happens). ecs has a decent price here is the link https://www.ecstuning.com/b-h-and-r-...mm/71450-3~hr/ I have a set of H&R street springs for sale in the classified section. Have fun!!!

Old 11-19-2018, 06:21 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Our custom TSW spec KW coilovers are ideal for your daily use and still kill it on the track. I even run them on my daily driver Clubman as they ride good, but are matched to the MINI and really predictable. We also use smaller diameter springs on the front which allow you to get more camber.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/kw-var...r55-56-57.html

Then a rear sway bar for sure
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-rear-sway-bar.html

For brakes you have to compromise one way. You can't have great cold bit and quiet daily pads, that handle the heat at the track without just burning up. Best to either get two sets and swap. Or go to a Wilwood kit and swap the pads as they just slide out then.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-20-2018, 10:19 AM
Lv15Rattata
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome, thank you so much everyone! I'll probably start with brake pads that'll be used only on the track like squawSkiBum said, then ill move onto suspension upgrades. Once I get the money and more experience, I will be sure to shop at WayMotorWorks!

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 08:37 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
A stiffer rear sway bar is a straightforward and relatively inexpensive mod that you will enjoy every time you drive the car, don't have to wait for a track day. Multiple options available from our forum vendors, you can install it yourself in a few hours if you have a pair of jackstands and set of socket wrenches. There's bound to be some Cyber Monday deals, go ahead and treat yourself.