R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Two Questions: best plastic hinge glue? best door sill strip/plate tape?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 11:42 AM
HAMnMINI
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Two Questions: best plastic hinge glue? best door sill strip/plate tape?

I’m doing some repairs and having a hard time finding the ideal products to do the repairs.

First, the windshield cowl/trim that sits between the hood and windshield has a few access doors for certain things. One of them is for the battery. This door has foam seals on 3 sides and a plastic hinge on the 4th. The hinge is made by just using less plastic where the door would open, not an actual hinge. This has broken from weathering. What’s the best plastic glue/weld/cement that will fuse this back together and keep it functioning as a door?

Next, the door sill plate has detached at the corners from weathering or poor quality taping. I need to reattach this. I’ve taken it out and cleaned it. The strip/plate is stainless steel and it attaches to plastic trim. What’s the best adhesive tape to use for this?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by HAMnMINI; 11-04-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:04 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
That hinge is called a live hinge, there is no fixing them when they break. The best thing is to get a new cowl piece with the battery door in it (the cowl is two pieces).
I suppose you could use black Gorilla tape in place of the hinge, if you have to.

The sill plate could be reattached with 3M 90 high strength spray adhesive.

Your pictures are probably too big, you will have to reduce the file size to post them. There are all sorts of tutorials on line on how to do that.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:32 PM
HAMnMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
That hinge is called a live hinge, there is no fixing them when they break. The best thing is to get a new cowl piece with the battery door in it (the cowl is two pieces).
I suppose you could use black Gorilla tape in place of the hinge, if you have to.

The sill plate could be reattached with 3M 90 high strength spray adhesive.

Your pictures are probably too big, you will have to reduce the file size to post them. There are all sorts of tutorials on line on how to do that.
Ah! Thank you. I was hoping someone would tell me what that hinge is called.

I’ve been looking into this and it seems 3M Blenderm surgical tape might work for the hinge. It’s popular in the RC and modeling community and known there as hinge tape apparently. Although idk how permanent it is. Either that or maybe the 3M Structural Adhesive or JB Weld epoxy putty.

For the door sill plate, I was thinking maybe the 3M automotive tape. I don't wanna try the spray for the same reason I don’t wanna use glue there; it might get messy and uneven. Oh and maybe I can also use this tape to also create an interior live hinge for the battery door...

I figured out out how to post the pics. Thanks and would love your thoughts on these products.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:13 PM
scott13
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Both my battery and brake fluid lids have cracked off. The brake fluid one snapped when I left it up after completing a fluid flush and shut the hood on it. The battery one failed without any help from me after less than 10 open/close cycles. I have successfully repaired them with black silicone caulking. I taped the lid in place at the sides so it wouldn't shift and allowed for about a 1/8th inch gap at the hinge area so that the caulk could get in there to reform the flexible hinge. I then laid down a small bead of silicone all along the joint and used a small brush to neatly spread and smooth the caulk into the gap. I let it dry 48 hrs before testing it. So far they are holding up well after about 2 years.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:19 PM
scott13
2nd Gear
My sill plates also came loose. I carefully scraped them up to avoid bending them and removed all the goop on the back. I sprayed them with adhesive (can't remember which brand) but DneperDave's suggestion in post #2 would certainly work.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:29 PM
HAMnMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by scott13
My sill plates also came loose. I carefully scraped them up to avoid bending them and removed all the goop on the back. I sprayed them with adhesive (can't remember which brand) but DneperDave's suggestion in post #2 would certainly work.
Originally Posted by scott13
Both my battery and brake fluid lids have cracked off. The brake fluid one snapped when I left it up after completing a fluid flush and shut the hood on it. The battery one failed without any help from me after less than 10 open/close cycles. I have successfully repaired them with black silicone caulking. I taped the lid in place at the sides so it wouldn't shift and allowed for about a 1/8th inch gap at the hinge area so that the caulk could get in there to reform the flexible hinge. I then laid down a small bead of silicone all along the joint and used a small brush to neatly spread and smooth the caulk into the gap. I let it dry 48 hrs before testing it. So far they are holding up well after about 2 years.
Ah so I’m not the only one! That cowl plastic is of absolutely terrible quality. The lock tabs are also starting to break now. Similar to the caulk, I was thinking about maybe trying some clear silicone I have. It would also help waterproof it further. Either that or the flex seal stuff but I’d rather use the silicone since I already have some.

Regarding the sill plate, why you opt for the spray adhesive instead of tape? I’m thinking tape would be more uniform and easier to work with.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:03 PM
scott13
2nd Gear
The clear silicone would work the same but it would show if you are concerned about appearance. The black silicone blends right in.
I happened to have spray adhesive on hand so I used it and it has been holding up very well. I considered double sided tape and if you already have it that would be a good option too.