Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Intermediate rocker arm fell off!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 08:48 AM
07 MINIKO
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Intermediate rocker arm fell off!!!!

2007 Mini Base, 88K miles... I pulled the valve cover due to a no start condition to take a peek, and noticed the #3 intermediate rocker arm laying in the head. It appears that it has jumped time, but would that cause the rocker arm to come out of the spring retainer? I also noticed the #1 intake rocker is loose. Will I need to pull the head and inspect the piston? Or should i take a chance and reassemble the valve train and replace the timing chain???

Old 05-18-2021, 01:44 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
If timing jumped too much, there might be bent valves which can cause valve train to "fall apart". Reset timing then do a compression test. Use a borescope to check piston tops and cylinder walls. This should help decide whether or not to pull the head.

Camshaft appears to be scored by the loose part under it. Probably not serious damage to the cam, but check the loose part closely before re-using it.

Old 05-18-2021, 02:47 PM
Minifenrir
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Well everyone has thier own comfort level but for me, seeing that, the head would come up without a second thought. If it jumped time and that is the cause of your rocker arm issues there is almost 100% certainty you will find at least one bent valve. In addition I'd want to see what kind of damage, if any, was done to the piston top. But that's just me. You don't play around with this stuff and do it half assed.

Old 05-18-2021, 03:08 PM
07 MINIKO
1st Gear
I appreciate the feedback, This is my first Mini, so wondering if I need to look for a specialized machine shop or should any (reputable) machine shop have the capabilities to rebuild the head? Or would I be better off buying a reman head? Looking on the web these things are freakin stupid expensive.... I'm in TX, so if you have any recommendations on a reman or a good machine shop please let me know...

Old 05-18-2021, 04:40 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
As a "newbie" to the Mini world, you probably have zero reference material and special tools. With an "auction" purchase and unknown running condition or repair history, think long and hard about how much resources you want to throw at it. Tools are always a good investment, so a borescope, metric tools, compression tester, etc, would be appropriate. Bentley manual only if you decide to repair this one or part it out and get another one. Pull the head and you immediately need the specialized timing tool set to put it back together. Find a machine shop to repair the head and you'll need $200 - $300 just for gaskets to put the head back on. Then there's head shop parts and labor. Piston top damage can be smoothed out if not too bad. Cylinder wall damage --- depends on severity --- rebore means a lot more labor (yours and machine shop), new pistons, rings, bearings, seals, etc. Gets costly real quick! Here's a link to some good repair procedures, similar to the newTIS site that's no longer available --- https://www.bmwrepairguide.com/category/mini-r56/

Did you ever get your "fuse" problem resolved? Any reputable machine shop should be able to repair bent valves, but one with Mini experience would be better. Is there a local Mini club nearby? They should be able to suggest a good shop, maybe even loan you the needed tools.

Old 05-19-2021, 06:32 AM
07 MINIKO
1st Gear
Thanks for the replies and insight!!! I am definitely on the fence with this "project" the tools are not an issue I have most, and can borrow the rest. I plan to pull the head, and decide where to go from there, if there is damage to the cylinders, and pistons then I will most likely part this one out. If I can get by with reworking the head, then I think I will come out okay.

As far as the fuses go, it seems like the F2-F5 fused only have power when the key is activated so I believe I am good there. Once running or at least confident that the engine mechanicals are solid, I am sure there will be other issues that will have to be dealt with.
I am sure I will be leaning on this group as I work through this journey! Again thanks for the help!

Old 05-20-2021, 06:11 AM
07 MINIKO
1st Gear
Good morning! Pulled the head yesterday, it is trashed, and looks like the #4 cylinder/piston has a ton of metal in it. I believe i will be parting this one out....Any suggestions on platforms that I should post it on? Once i get my initial investment out of it it, the rest of it will be hauled to the scrap yard...Thank you all for your help!

Old 05-20-2021, 06:35 AM
Minifenrir
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Sorry for your luck on this one. What you found is exactly why I said I would pull the head instead of spending time trying to repair the obvious damage and seeing if it works. Wish it was 2011 R56 you had. There are several parts I'd be interested in