DIY idle speed increase on R56 Justamini? - North American Motoring

Go Back  North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+)
DIY idle speed increase on R56 Justamini? >

DIY idle speed increase on R56 Justamini?

R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY idle speed increase on R56 Justamini?

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 04-16-2018, 08:59 AM
carwhisperer
carwhisperer is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
DIY idle speed increase on R56 Justamini?

I have done some searching and found that others, like me, would like to have their idle speed increased from factory. My car idles at about 700 rpm when hot, sometimes as low as 650. It rattles a little which goes away by 850. Apparently you can have it bumped up with a $10K scan tool. Has anyone explored other ideas? Here are some of mine:

1. drill a small hole in the throttle plate. I think I could easily plug it with epoxy if it doesn't work. But probably not easily adjustable.

2. Drill a hole in the intake after the throttle plate.

3. Find a vacuum hose and put a Gillis or needle valve on it. In all cases

4. Make some sort of adjustable bump stop at the pedal.

5. Make the ECU think the AC is on all the time. How would I do this?

For 1,2 and 3 I think the ECU would try to restore the idle and throw a code if it couldn't.

Any other ideas?
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-16-2018, 10:12 AM
cyow5's Avatar
cyow5
cyow5 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 133
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Anyone who can do a tune for you can raise the idle speed the correct way. If you try to trick it, the computer will just fight you, and neither you nor the computer will get what you want.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-16-2018, 10:31 AM
carwhisperer
carwhisperer is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
Anyone who can do a tune for you can raise the idle speed the correct way. If you try to trick it, the computer will just fight you, and neither you nor the computer will get what you want.
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes you just might find that you get what you need.

I just looked at my pedal and I think I could make an adjustable stop for it. I wonder, however, if as you suggest, I will get an error code if the idle can never drop to what the computer wants to see.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-16-2018, 10:36 AM
cyow5's Avatar
cyow5
cyow5 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 133
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
The ECU will look at the pedal and, if it is above a certain value, not go into idle speed control. What this means to you is that it will not actively target a specific speed, so the pedal will have to be set such that it idles how you want when hot, but when cold it may not be right. It also means that the idle speed won't respond to load changes and may bog or bounce up as the alternator, AC, and whatnot change their loads on the engine. You'll also see a fuel economy hit, and temps may creep up in bad traffic. If this is a worthwhile compromise, then the cons may be outweighed by the pros for you.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-16-2018, 11:06 AM
Detroit Tuned's Avatar
Detroit Tuned
Detroit Tuned is offline
Vendor - 15 Years
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Metro Detroit Area, Michigan
Posts: 1,664
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Were are you at? Is there a shop close to you that can change the program for you? This is a service that we could provide. The idea's you can up with are not going to work correctly. it's best to do it correctly and while it might be a bit of a drive to find the right shop to do it, your going to have a much better finished product with a low cost. We are in Detroit area and will be in NC the first week of May.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-2018, 11:07 AM
cyow5's Avatar
cyow5
cyow5 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 133
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
^ This is what I was referring to in my first response, haha
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-16-2018, 11:58 AM
carwhisperer
carwhisperer is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Detroit Tuned View Post
Were are you at? Is there a shop close to you that can change the program for you? This is a service that we could provide. The idea's you can up with are not going to work correctly. it's best to do it correctly and while it might be a bit of a drive to find the right shop to do it, your going to have a much better finished product with a low cost. We are in Detroit area and will be in NC the first week of May.
I am in Sacramento. I know of a shop that specializes in Minis near here. I am loathe to take any of my cars to a shop (this 2007 is about 30 years newer than the average age of my fleet, haha), but maybe I will ask them if they can do it.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-17-2018, 09:58 AM
carwhisperer
carwhisperer is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Detroit Tuned View Post
The idea's you can up with are not going to work correctly.
I think my AC idea is the one most likely not to cause ECU issues. What harm would there be in the ECU thinking the AC is on all the time?
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-17-2018, 02:39 PM
Detroit Tuned's Avatar
Detroit Tuned
Detroit Tuned is offline
Vendor - 15 Years
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Metro Detroit Area, Michigan
Posts: 1,664
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by carwhisperer View Post
I am in Sacramento. I know of a shop that specializes in Minis near here. I am loathe to take any of my cars to a shop (this 2007 is about 30 years newer than the average age of my fleet, haha), but maybe I will ask them if they can do it.
I get it, people hate to take it to any shop and always want to do it them self. but these cars require a computer to talk to them to even start to figure out what might be wrong. It's very easy to bump the idle speed up with it. just let them do it and call it a day. Do things like brakes and wheel bearings, but the computer stuff is you need to by it or let someone do it for you.
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-18-2018, 05:31 AM
cyow5's Avatar
cyow5
cyow5 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 133
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by carwhisperer View Post
I think my AC idea is the one most likely not to cause ECU issues. What harm would there be in the ECU thinking the AC is on all the time?
Well, it might be the second least likely to cause problems. The solution that is the MOST likely to not cause problems is to change a single curve in the ECU. I'd wager that any of the tuners would sell you a discounted flash since it doesn't take any dyno tuning or proprietary knowledge. If you value the time you'd spend doing a hackjob on it, then the flash is cheaper.
 
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-20-2018, 09:00 AM
carwhisperer
carwhisperer is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
Well, it might be the second least likely to cause problems. The solution that is the MOST likely to not cause problems is to change a single curve in the ECU. I'd wager that any of the tuners would sell you a discounted flash since it doesn't take any dyno tuning or proprietary knowledge. If you value the time you'd spend doing a hackjob on it, then the flash is cheaper.
Here in CA shops are not too keen on doing things like this. I just called the expert shop in this area and they said they would not bump up the idle because of emissions reasons.
 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-20-2018, 09:07 AM
cyow5's Avatar
cyow5
cyow5 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 133
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by carwhisperer View Post
Here in CA shops are not too keen on doing things like this. I just called the expert shop in this area and they said they would not bump up the idle because of emissions reasons.
Passing smog is a whole 'nother beast. Since the hot idle is spec'd for your car already, anything above that - through a tune or otherwise - will technically fail you if your inspector sticks to the rules.

Here's a different approach: fix the rattle instead? With your car's age, it could just be that the engine mounts are getting sloppy or something else has worn down. Fixing that could be all you need. Or, ya know, just turn up the radio
 
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-20-2018, 12:11 PM
carwhisperer
carwhisperer is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
Passing smog is a whole 'nother beast. Since the hot idle is spec'd for your car already, anything above that - through a tune or otherwise - will technically fail you if your inspector sticks to the rules.

Here's a different approach: fix the rattle instead? With your car's age, it could just be that the engine mounts are getting sloppy or something else has worn down. Fixing that could be all you need. Or, ya know, just turn up the radio
Will do!

But the guy at the shop told me to try some heavier weight oil first. What do you think about that? He said 5-40 but he would go as high as 20-50 in a Motul. I was thinking I would try some 5-40. He said avoid Mobil 1. Is this a motor that needs ZDDP or Zinc?
 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-21-2018, 01:28 PM
carwhisperer
carwhisperer is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is what I came up with. I think itís function is somewhat self explanatory. But Iíll note that it installs with no tools and leaves no marks when removed. When making it I found that it needed to be pretty stiff and well anchored to provide any stable adjustment to the pedal stop. I have tried at and it works but havenít really tried it in traffic or anything to see if the idle speed behaves predictably. I also changed my oil to Castroís 10-30 synthetic, and for the brief driving Iíve done so far Iíve heard no noise. The oil I drained out felt like water


 
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-24-2018, 12:13 PM
carwhisperer
carwhisperer is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It doesn't work predictably. I adjusted it this morning on my way to work. It was set at about 900 but it jumped to 3000 when I shifted. I might try again, by bolting a metal tab to the pedal up higher and making that the point where the adjusting screw stops it. I think there is too much leverage on the system at that location on the pedal.
 
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-24-2018, 03:17 PM
cyow5's Avatar
cyow5
cyow5 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 133
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Every reason why an ECU tries to control idle speed is a reason why this will be unpredictable. I worked with race motors than occasionally had no idle control, and you'd just have to set it so it idled too high when hot. It didn't matter though race cars don't idle much. I had a customer once dead set on trying to control idle with the spark timing which can be done within limit. Just to make him happy, I demonstrated how bright red the headers get when you pull out enough spark to idle at 800rpm when the throttle is set up to idle when cold. After seeing the headers, he let me finally set the hot idle a bit higher, haha.
 
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-24-2018, 03:48 PM
Minidogger
Minidogger is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Iowa
Posts: 91
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I hope you gizmo doesn't cause a throttle jam.

I think you are playing with fire.
 
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-24-2018, 08:51 PM
EdsNotHere's Avatar
EdsNotHere
EdsNotHere is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 118
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Get a Schwaben scan tool. I just reset my idle speed from 700 to 750 no problem.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...hoC8YYQAvD_BwE
 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EdsNotHere For This Useful Post:
ECSTuning (04-25-2018)
  #19  
Old 04-24-2018, 09:57 PM
carwhisperer
carwhisperer is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EdsNotHere View Post
Get a Schwaben scan tool. I just reset my idle speed from 700 to 750 no problem.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...hoC8YYQAvD_BwE
Wow that looks awesome! I think that's what I'll do!
 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carwhisperer For This Useful Post:
ECSTuning (04-25-2018)
  #20  
Old 04-25-2018, 02:07 PM
carwhisperer
carwhisperer is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wonder if this will work?
Creator C110 OBDII/EOBD Scanner for BMW Airbag ABS Engine Fault Code Reader OBD2. On ebay for $43 shipped
 
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-25-2018, 04:10 PM
EdsNotHere's Avatar
EdsNotHere
EdsNotHere is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 118
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I donít think it would work it looks like itís just a scanner reader where is the Schwaben tool you can actually make adjustments has a lot more detailed information. I have several scanner is but none of them can do with this one can
 
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-26-2018, 12:49 PM
carwhisperer
carwhisperer is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EdsNotHere View Post
I donít think it would work it looks like itís just a scanner reader where is the Schwaben tool you can actually make adjustments has a lot more detailed information. I have several scanner is but none of them can do with this one can
How about this? We have these at the high school where I teach math.
 
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-26-2018, 04:26 PM
EdsNotHere's Avatar
EdsNotHere
EdsNotHere is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 118
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Maybe but it may not have the mini specific coding.
 
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-27-2018, 08:42 AM
carwhisperer
carwhisperer is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think at least one of them does. What features or words am I looking for? Do I need it to adjust adaptations?
 
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-27-2018, 09:11 AM
EdsNotHere's Avatar
EdsNotHere
EdsNotHere is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 118
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
This is where I adjusted mine, just get the Schwaben you will be glad you did. ECS has them on sale sometimes. I got mine for $175.












 
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY idle speed increase on R56 Justamini?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.