R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 New Member - maintenance/mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 10:52 AM
715tt
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Member - maintenance/mods

Hi there!

I have recently just bought myself a 2010 Mini Cooper (Non S) hatch and it is my first Mini and I really like it so far! I am a little crazy about cars and have owned 15 different cars (mostly European) in the past 9 years. So what brought me to a Mini? well I currently own a few vehicles that I would like to avoid driving much so I have been looking for something to use daily and the Mini always came to my mind (always wanted one) but I was nervous because horror stories everywhere so I never considered it until now. I think I found a good one, and plan on taking care of everything before hand with your help! and most importantly though to learn/share knowledge and make some friends

So far I have done:
Channel Swap for base Audio (it definitely has made a huge difference, I did not need any special tool just used a Torx bit (ill check and update size here) to push out female ends out of socket and it was actually VERY easy)
Wrapped center 3 lines of front chrome grill to gloss back (match my roof and side mirror)
Wrapped interior dash trims from silver to gloss black
Hood Latch release fix and hinge greasing as I was facing some trouble opening the hood
One lock nut was seized and ruined two lock keys so I had to get it removed!
Oil Change

Things I plan on doing:
1) Valve cover gasket - because I noticed very light dampening around the valve cover and also a little oil in the "bolt hole" between 3rd and 4th spark plug, so that tiny gasket is leaking lightly but no big deal)
2) Timing chain Tensioner - compared to many mini's I saw, this was the only one that actually pretty much doesn't knock at all, but I will keep a new tensioner in case, I think new one is 82mm vs old 78mm
3) upper chain guide - while valve cover is off if chain guide is bad I will change it
3) Solenoid Valve cleaning Front & Rear - because I have noticed a little bit rough idle in cold start
4) Spark plugs
5) Rear sway bar bushings - because I have the annoying clunk
6) Engine flush next change - I already had oil changed right away as the previous owner was following the "Dealer recommendations" and its no good. I do oil changes every 7 to 8k max with synthetic oil.
7) Transmission flush and filter/gasket - because of slightly rough shifting. (plan on using Castrol transmax synthetic as its JWS 3309 compatible)
8) Drive belt- its old and sorta cracking

I do know about some other known issues like plastic thermostat housing leaking, plastic water pump but I currently don't see issues with those so far.. If there is anything else you know of please do let me know as I plan to use this car daily and would like to take care of any possible future issues before hand

Other Mods I plan to do:
Alcantara pillar wrap
Ambient lighting in door panel (like a color changeable strip light that runs across underneath door trim)
Led headlights/fog lights
aftermarket GPS in speedometer
Audio upgrade (I saw the bav audio front speaker upgrade but wondering if that is suppose to work with the channel swap?)
Coilovers
Wheels

umm if there is any other cool mod you know about please do let me know

Thank you!

Old 12-05-2017, 08:31 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
welcome. Looks like you got a solid list together.
Let us know if we can help.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-06-2017, 07:58 AM
BRGMCouper
1st Gear
Get the stubby antenna added to your list.

The following users liked this post:
CravenSpeed (12-07-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 01:55 PM
715tt
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
welcome. Looks like you got a solid list together.
Let us know if we can help.
Thank you will do!

Originally Posted by BRGMCouper
Get the stubby antenna added to your list.
that's a good one thanks!!

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (12-12-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 02:27 PM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Lower Engine Mount Bushing

You may want to add a lower engine mount bushing. I couldn't believe the difference it made when I added mine.....before it felt like there was lots of throttle lag....it turned out it was just the engine torquing up. It made the car more fun to drive.

https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...7-r58-r59.html

Old 12-14-2017, 02:45 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
welcome

Old 12-14-2017, 04:24 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
"Item 5. Rear sway bar bushings going bad."

I'd recommend replacing the RSB with a Hotchkis 25mm hollow bar. It's lighter, stiffer, adjustable and comes with new poly bushings. The new bushing mounts also include grease fittings.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:57 AM
715tt
1st Gear
So i did the valve cover and did the upper timing chain guide since the plastic was shifting a bit and bent a little higher over the age! the new guide sat perfectly and pressed chain down a little more.

New Member - maintenance/mods-1.jpg

Upper Chain Guide shifted/raised a bit.
New Member - maintenance/mods-2a.jpg

GUNK:
New Member - maintenance/mods-2.jpg

all cleaned up
New Member - maintenance/mods-3.jpg

Originally Posted by bugeye1031
You may want to add a lower engine mount bushing. I couldn't believe the difference it made when I added mine.....before it felt like there was lots of throttle lag....it turned out it was just the engine torquing up. It made the car more fun to drive.

https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...7-r58-r59.html
Interesting! I didn't know they go back quick on these cars? I have experienced this in another car and it did make a great difference.. thanks for letting me know i will look into this do you know how hard it is to change?

Originally Posted by AnOldBiker
welcome
Thank you

Originally Posted by Tigger2011
"Item 5. Rear sway bar bushings going bad."

I'd recommend replacing the RSB with a Hotchkis 25mm hollow bar. It's lighter, stiffer, adjustable and comes with new poly bushings. The new bushing mounts also include grease fittings.
sounds nice! I will check it out! I noticed the rear end isn't as planted as the front so I assume this should help lots?

Last edited by 715tt; 12-20-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:29 PM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by 715tt
Interesting! I didn't know they go back quick on these cars? I have experienced this in another car and it did make a great difference.. thanks for letting me know i will look into this do you know how hard it is to change?
The motor mount bushing inserts that Way (or ECS or MINI MANIA or Detroit Tuned) has are easy to install. The motor mount is very accessible.....30 to 45 minutes or so....at most.