R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 01:26 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
R56 Reliability

I have a friend thats looking for either an R53 or R56 and I cant help but notice that much newer, low mileage JCW R56s are around the same price as older 1st gen JCWs..

I know the engine reliability on early R56 was sub-par, but did MINI ever get that worked out in later year R56? Is this the reason for the cheap prices? Is there an R56 that would be considered "safe"? I'm an R53 guy, and know very little about R56 other than they are very inexpensive on Craigslist, lol. I would love to get an older Clubman as an extra car, but I'm a little scarred.

Thanks!

Old 11-11-2017, 04:31 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
From the reading I've done, the n18 engine started in 2011 R56 and 2012 for the JCW. Lots of threads on this..

Old 11-11-2017, 04:38 PM
rapter
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, the r56 s model we own is a 2013 and visits the dealer 5-6 times a year for a new ****-eyed problem every year.

We are going to rid ourselves of this car. So much fun to drive, style is amazing, features are great.

... but what a piece of crap.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:06 PM
400mphpc
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I had an 08 R56 for 4 Year’s that was totaled in a accident this past May and would consider them “very safe”. It did more damage to the Dodge Charger that hit me than the other way around. My replacement is an 09 that I picked up used on Craigslist. It was very well maintained and still needed some TLC once I got it, but if your mechanically inclined and like to do your own maintenance, then I would not hesitate to buy an R56. Take a code reader with you when you check it out and get a maintenance report from BMW on the VIN. Just like buying any used car, be careful and do your homework.

The following users liked this post:
Singer2345 (03-25-2019)
Old 11-11-2017, 05:12 PM
BeardedForever
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought my 71k mile '09 last June for $9200. This June the SHTF and I spent most of the past 5 months in and out of the shop. I've spent $8800 in repairs to this date, twice a thermostat, leaking oil filter housing gasket, leaking oil feed line, cracked valve cover, cracked water pipe, timing chain and tensioners, camshaft solenoid adjuster, and a full head rebuild. Labor costs hurt.

But I love this little f***er too much to get rid of it.

Last edited by BeardedForever; 11-11-2017 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Forgot some parts.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:17 PM
S-2013
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
I recently acquired a 13 MCS with 130k on the clock. I’ve installed a timing chain kit and tuned it up but seems mechanically sound for my daily driver. I figured it already surpassed 100k so that was a good sign. Only minor annoyance is an occasional “limp” mode issue I’m sorting out.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:34 PM
burley
6th Gear
Lots of individual stories here, but what about the big picture? Why the are R56 prices so low vs R53? I'm not afraid to wrench, but I want a relatively low drama ownership. I've owned 6 R53s for 10 years (a few overlapping) and have had maybe $3k in repairs (including a $1400 clutch job).

Old 11-12-2017, 04:37 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Subjective answer here. I believe that the 1st Gen JCW's are holding their value because enthusiasts know that they will be a good value in the long run, and a fun car. The 2nd Gen JCW's may not be holding their value as well because the Prince engine has a bad reputation, and they don't have the attraction/charisma of a 1st Gen - the MINI that changed everything. In other words, many people might consider the 2nd Gen similar to a high end BMW - nice car, but they depreciate swiftly and are expensive to maintain.

I bought a new Clubman S in 2008, drove the hell out of it for 156,000 miles and then bought a 2009 Clubman JCW that has 76,000 miles on it. I've had good luck with both of them. I enjoy maintaining my cars, and beat the maintenance schedule. My JCW is a lot of fun to drive - I autocross and track it.

Switching from a 1st Gen to a 2nd Gen will be relatively seamless except for the Prince engine.....which will require an extra degree of vigilence...and maybe more apprehension. There are lots of horror stories about the Prince engine, and it does have more weak spots than comparable engines. Even well-maintained N14's can have serious and expensive problems. However, this reminds me of BMW's that I've owned over the years. I made decisions to drive them and accept the risk rather than drive a boring car that would be cheaper and have fewer problems. My 1979 528i had problems, but it was a fantastic car for the time...and fun on the track, too. So, my decision to drive a 2nd Gen JCW is similar to my decisions to drive BMW's and other cars over the years....I'll continue to maintain my car, drive it hard, and take on the risk.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:25 AM
burley
6th Gear
Whats the specific trouble area of the N14 and what years does it cover? Is there a "safe" year? 3rd gen any better?

Old 11-12-2017, 06:25 AM
Mini_Land
1st Gear
I bought my R56 JCW (N14) about 2 years ago with 56k miles, now up to 86k. In my experience with the car in general as well as how the motor has functioned everything has been fantastic. Especially the way I drive.

My JCW has been fantastic, recently did a resonator delete with plans for a new larger intercooler and oil catch can. I've been waiting for the catch can as my CPO warranty expires in a month and I didn't want the dealership to have an excuse for anything that could be a warranty issue.

Overall I'm extremely satisfied with my JCW but not everyone here has had the same experience. Of course with forums like these you usually only hear the horror stories.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:20 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Land
Overall I'm extremely satisfied with my JCW but not everyone here has had the same experience. Of course with forums like these you usually only hear the horror stories.
I've talked with plenty of MINI dealership mechanics, and they've all had the same take whenever I brought my R53 in for service. I wasn't super serious, so we only had quick general talks about R56, but they always said they engines are way more problematic.

I'll do some googling, but my main question is: What is the N14's achilles heal and what years does that cover?

Here's some common issues google revealed.

#3 Piston cracks
hpfp
a/c line gets damaged from bumps and potholes
windshield chips easy
upstream o2 sensor wiring melts
water pump
soft paint
carbon buildup
water leaks

Last edited by burley; 11-12-2017 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:04 PM
csq33r
2nd Gear
I can't comment on the R53, but my 2009 R56 S has lately been reminding me of my old 1985 Dodge Shelby Charger, in that it's a fun little turbo car, but it takes a lot to keep it on the road. If I wasn't a mechanic, I don't think I'd be able to own this car. The starter went the other day, and I was able to take it apart and solder the wire from the brushes to the solenoid and put it back together. It's a good thing because a rebuilt starter was $400. I had the intake manifold off in order to get the starter out, and I looked into the ports and sure enough the valves are caked with carbon, so that's the next job.

Last edited by csq33r; 11-14-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:09 PM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by csq33r
I can't comment on the R53, but my 2009 R56 has lately been reminding me of my old 1985 Dodge Shelby Charger, in that it's a fun little turbo car, but it takes a lot to keep it on the road. If I wasn't a mechanic, I don't think I'd be able to own this car.
By the lack of response, I'm getting the feeling there is no trouble free year for the N14. Usually towards the end of a production cycle, the issues get worked out, not maybe not for the R56? Too bad there wasn't a supercharged Clubman.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:52 AM
dmyer
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by burley
I've talked with plenty of MINI dealership mechanics, and they've all had the same take whenever I brought my R53 in for service. I wasn't super serious, so we only had quick general talks about R56, but they always said they engines are way more problematic.

I'll do some googling, but my main question is: What is the N14's achilles heal and what years does that cover?

Here's some common issues google revealed.

#3 Piston cracks
hpfp
a/c line gets damaged from bumps and potholes
windshield chips easy
upstream o2 sensor wiring melts
water pump
soft paint
carbon buildup
water leaks

Here are a few expensive items you missed....

Vacuum Pump - can fail and cause catastrophic failure

Timing Chain/Guides - even with frequent oil changes it will stretch, not maybe, and need replacement about every 50K - 75K - failure to maintain this will ruin engine when it fails

Turbocharger - Oil line fails and leaks, turbo usually wears out 75-100K even when well maintained

Valve Cover/PCV system

Clutch - parts alone are over a thousand... mine wore out about 75K but I auto-crossed it frequently

I know there are those that have better luck than others, I believe them just about as much as those that claim big-foot sightings. I still have my 07 MCS (original owner), however, I do not compete with it any longer and basically just use it as a commuter/winter car which kinda defeats the original purpose. If you are asking these questions and are incapable/unwilling to perform your own maintenance.... don't!

Old 11-15-2017, 08:15 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dmyer
Here are a few expensive items you missed....

Vacuum Pump - can fail and cause catastrophic failure

Timing Chain/Guides - even with frequent oil changes it will stretch, not maybe, and need replacement about every 50K - 75K - failure to maintain this will ruin engine when it fails

Turbocharger - Oil line fails and leaks, turbo usually wears out 75-100K even when well maintained

Valve Cover/PCV system

Clutch - parts alone are over a thousand... mine wore out about 75K but I auto-crossed it frequently

I know there are those that have better luck than others, I believe them just about as much as those that claim big-foot sightings. I still have my 07 MCS (original owner), however, I do not compete with it any longer and basically just use it as a commuter/winter car which kinda defeats the original purpose. If you are asking these questions and are incapable/unwilling to perform your own maintenance.... don't!
Thanks! This is what I was looking for. Way too many trouble points for me, I think I'll stick to R53s.

...About that clutch, over a thousand for parts??? For R53s, the dual mass came stock but you could switch to a single mass valeo with a new flywheel for $275 shipped (obviously not including labor). Can you do the same for R56?

Old 11-16-2017, 07:34 AM
Kyle Parent
Neutral
Reliability

The general consensus of the R56 reliability, is the post face lift R56 Cooper S is gonna have a lot of timing belt and other issues. If you want reliability shoot for a post face lift R56 Justa Cooper

Old 11-16-2017, 07:50 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Kyle Parent
The general consensus of the R56 reliability, is the post face lift R56 Cooper S is gonna have a lot of timing belt and other issues. If you want reliability shoot for a post face lift R56 Justa Cooper
R56's with the N14 are prone to timing chain issues. N18's have HPFP issues but is fixed with the latest version HPFP. If you want reliability, don't buy a MINI. Buy a Honda.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:09 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Qik420
If you want reliability, don't buy a MINI. Buy a Honda.
Not true, R53s have been proven pretty bullet proof. Show me any car and I'll show you internet threads talking about a car's weak points.. yes, even Honda. R53s have their issues, but pretty minor stuff. Nothing that will leave you stranded or grenade your car (unless you bought a CVT ).

Last edited by burley; 11-16-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:13 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
Not true, R53s have been proven pretty bullet proof. Show me any car and I'll show you internet threads with weak points. R53s have very minor complaints, but thats not why I came here. I'm curious post R53 Coopers.
I was speaking on R56's. R53's have their own share of issues, though not as bad as R56's, they still have problems. Now that the youngest R53's are 11 years old, you will have to make repairs. They're fun cars, just require a bit of extra attention. You asked about both gens.

Last edited by Qik420; 02-06-2018 at 01:45 PM. Reason: adding to it
Old 11-16-2017, 08:37 AM
burley
6th Gear
I was speaking on R56's. R53's have their own share of issues, though not as bad as R56's, they still have problems. Now that the youngest R53's are now 11 years old, you will have to make repairs. They're fun cars, just require a bit of extra attention. You asked about both gens.
Tell me about it, I've spent the last year tearing my R53 apart and basically replacing everything made of rubber. TBH though, nothing I didn't have to do with my Hyundai of the same age.. Wear items only last so long.

The engine tends to seep from everywhere, but when you do a clutch job you can fix (front o-ring, main seal, pan), all of them fairly inexpensively. On the subject, that dual mass clutch is an expensive POS. Overall, I've had damn good luck with 1 R50 and 2 R53s and an R52 JCW in 10 years.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:23 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
Tell me about it, I've spent the last year tearing my R53 apart and basically replacing everything made of rubber. TBH though, nothing I didn't have to do with my Hyundai of the same age.. Wear items only last so long.
I'm already starting to replace bushings and suspension components on my 12' S. Though wear items do go eventually, they do seem to wear a tad early compared to all my old GM's or Honda's. Then again it is more of a pure sports car when compared to the cars I've had aside from my 80' Z28, but even that didn't need very much attention.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:38 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
folks forget..

*a JCW N14 is a spicy 1.6L of fury .. its not a tamed, dumbed-down 6cyl with a grandma tune that will last forever!

*4.5qt of oil is ***** for a turbo engine with ~20psi of boost

*its hard for anyone to read the oil level in an R56..and its a critical fluid

*dealership recommends 10-15k for oil change intervals (LOL) you wouldnt even have oil in your engine by then if you havent been topping it off regularly!

*most people have no idea why they need to idle down and cool off the engine properly before they shut it off! Its NOT a vacuum!

^^^ Those are honestly why i think these cars have a bad rep. Its a recipe for a borked motor/turbo.

If you check your oil regularly, drive it hard & cool it down before you say 'goodnight' .. I think any JCW will love you for a long time.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Kyle Parent
Neutral
R56's with the N14 are prone to timing chain issues. N18's have HPFP issues but is fixed with the latest version HPFP. If you want reliability, don't buy a MINI. Buy a Honda.

Hence my comment , POST face lift

Old 11-16-2017, 05:47 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
My Clubman S has been trouble free since I bought it new in 2010.

I change the oil every 5000 miles.

I blocked off the rear PCV line and installed an Oil Catch Can, to prevent carbon build up in the intake ports. (it works)

I wrapped the turbocharger with Way Motor Works turbo wrap.

I installed gauges to monitor Boost, Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature and Water Temperature.

I tweaked the Engine Control Unit with a Cobb Access Port.

It hasn't seen the inside of a dealer since the three year free maintenance ran out.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:32 PM
Tsquared
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They are cute cars but they are all sub-par. Six months ago it was the thermostat and now it is the water pump and I have less than 60k on the clock.