R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Timing Chain Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 08:47 AM
gregoryp
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Chain Replacement

I'm in the process of replacing my timing chain and associated parts. Upper guide was broken. I have the crank shaft pin installed in the flywheel and the writing on the camshafts is facing up. When I put the tools on the cams they don't go on properly because the cams are slightly rotated towards the back of the engine. Not sure if it has jumped a tooth or if the sprockets have slipped. Currently I still have the tensioner in place, should I just remove the tensioner and then rotate the cams so they align, looks like it is only a few degrees?
Thanks for your help in advance. I did some searching, but didn't find the answer and am in the middle of this.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:46 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by gregoryp
I'm in the process of replacing my timing chain and associated parts. Upper guide was broken. I have the crank shaft pin installed in the flywheel and the writing on the camshafts is facing up. When I put the tools on the cams they don't go on properly because the cams are slightly rotated towards the back of the engine. Not sure if it has jumped a tooth or if the sprockets have slipped. Currently I still have the tensioner in place, should I just remove the tensioner and then rotate the cams so they align, looks like it is only a few degrees?
Thanks for your help in advance. I did some searching, but didn't find the answer and am in the middle of this.
As long as you're still in the dis-assembly stage, it makes little difference when all locking tools are installed. It's safe to remove the tensioner and slightly rotate the cams, BEFORE the chain and guides are replaced. Don't even think of re-assembly without all locking tools in place.

Hopefully you're using the Bentley manual as a reference. Some of the bolts you're working with are NOT re-useable. And not all manuals describe the chain tensioner tool usage --- essential for proper timing.