R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 What about a manual boost controller

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 08:29 PM
Badchoice
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about a manual boost controller

From my understanding a electronic boost controller will not work. What about a manual boost controller?

Old 03-10-2016, 06:36 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,000 Likes on 1,796 Posts
Some info here, its been talked about before.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ontroller.html

&

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-my-boost.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-10-2016, 04:54 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
You need to learn about waste gates before adding a boost controller --- like eliminate the OEM waste gate, actuator, tank and hoses, then add a positive-pressure waste gate. After this, you need an ECU re-map.

You'd be better off just going for the re-map, unless you want to get serious about the power craze, then it's new turbo, re-map, plus lotsa other "stuff". It's addicting.

Old 05-01-2020, 05:57 AM
502True
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn straight its freakin addicting!

I'm 42 yrs old and I've been dashing"in and out" of the underground racing scene in Louisville, KY ever since I picked up my license in '96. Fast forward to now. Finally I can afford to build a forced induction car like I've always wanted. I decided to go with a '10 Mini Clubman S because in Louisville you dont see a lot of Minis in the race scene... They're all Hondas, Nissans and Mustangs. I like to be different and I enjoy a challenge. I absolutely knew nothing about Minis when I bought my Clubman S. The only thing that I was 100% about was that I loved the car itself. It was fun to drive it looked damn good and that ever since I saw The Italian Job I have always wanted one! So I bought one through Carvana. The owner before me went with fully adjustable Gecko coilovers. I have never heard of Gecko until I saw the coilovers on my car. They seem to be pretty good though because the car handles damn good! The guy also went with a MagnaFlow Exhaust... I'm not sure why he picked MagnaFlow (guess he was on a budget), but again it's not bad. It actually sounds really good. Its gotta nice deep gurgle. When I got a hold of the car I did a little research of what I should do next. Of course I immediately installed an intake. That's something I didnt have to look up. Anybody who has fooled around with cars even a little knows that an intake is the easiest way to gain a few ponies. I went with an AEM cold/ram air. Then I replaced that small intercooler with an off brand performance one. As much as I wanted to spend the money on a name brand all the posts I've read pointed me to the one I have now. Next I put on a Milltek catless downpipe. Finally to make it all work I flashed my ECU with a Stage 2 Tune from MaloneTuning and threw on a Cravenspeed short throw shifter for *****-n-giggles. So...m very 1sty Mini is fast, but not nearly fast enough. I want more... God do I want more, but I'm at the point now where anything I do is going to be expensive. Hell, the stage 2 tune was $850! This addition is going to break me... But hey... I'll be fast!

Old 05-01-2020, 12:50 PM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 541 Likes on 412 Posts
Originally Posted by 502True
I'm 42 yrs old and I've been dashing"in and out" of the underground racing scene in Louisville, KY ever since I picked up my license in '96. Fast forward to now. Finally I can afford to build a forced induction car like I've always wanted. I decided to go with a '10 Mini Clubman S because in Louisville you dont see a lot of Minis in the race scene... They're all Hondas, Nissans and Mustangs. I like to be different and I enjoy a challenge. I absolutely knew nothing about Minis when I bought my Clubman S. The only thing that I was 100% about was that I loved the car itself. It was fun to drive it looked damn good and that ever since I saw The Italian Job I have always wanted one! So I bought one through Carvana. The owner before me went with fully adjustable Gecko coilovers. I have never heard of Gecko until I saw the coilovers on my car. They seem to be pretty good though because the car handles damn good! The guy also went with a MagnaFlow Exhaust... I'm not sure why he picked MagnaFlow (guess he was on a budget), but again it's not bad. It actually sounds really good. Its gotta nice deep gurgle. When I got a hold of the car I did a little research of what I should do next. Of course I immediately installed an intake. That's something I didnt have to look up. Anybody who has fooled around with cars even a little knows that an intake is the easiest way to gain a few ponies. I went with an AEM cold/ram air. Then I replaced that small intercooler with an off brand performance one. As much as I wanted to spend the money on a name brand all the posts I've read pointed me to the one I have now. Next I put on a Milltek catless downpipe. Finally to make it all work I flashed my ECU with a Stage 2 Tune from MaloneTuning and threw on a Cravenspeed short throw shifter for *****-n-giggles. So...m very 1sty Mini is fast, but not nearly fast enough. I want more... God do I want more, but I'm at the point now where anything I do is going to be expensive. Hell, the stage 2 tune was $850! This addition is going to break me... But hey... I'll be fast!
I need to bring my clubby down from Cincy and visit you sir. I will be 42 end of this month 😉

Old 05-01-2020, 01:06 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
A few more "bolt-on" upgrades that are less expensive ---

-ICI pipe --- replace the plastic OEM version with a larger diameter, smoother flowing pipe. PITA to install but adds about ten more HP.
-Hotchkis HSport Competition rear sway (anti-roll) bar. No HP gains, but lotsa handling improvement. It's also adjustable.
-Heat range 8 spark plugs, i.e., NGK1422. Your current mods will stress/break the OEM heat range 7 plugs.
-Boost gauge - even if you don't go crazy with boost, a gauge is great for learning how/when your upgrades perform.
-OBD Scanner - a must for troubleshooting your upgrade workmanship/performance.

When you're ready for more expensive upgrades, I suggest a WMI system. This'll add HP and reliability --- about a 50 - 50 mix for reliability (minimizing valve stem crud build-up), and 80 - 20 or so for HP gains. Any mix ratio will add some HP by cooling the air inlet temp, but you should consider another tune to fully enable the WMI benefits.

Have fun and keep us posted ---