R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 To Sell or Not To Sell? 07 Cooper S, Manual 63k miles

Old 12-26-2015, 01:50 PM
stormborn
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Sell or Not To Sell? 07 Cooper S, Manual 63k miles

Hi All,
Just looking for some insight, as I am not versed at all in these things.
I have a gorgeous 07 Cooper S, bought it in 14 in TN, so zero body rust.
Though it only had 43k miles on it, I've had to spend a fair amount of money on it. Luckily, in diagnosing a valve cover that needed replacing I also found the factory alert on the timing chain tensioner and had that replaced at not cost to me. Early in 15, it was leaking oil from 3 different places. Gaskets cheap, labor not so much. Added up to about $900.
Recently I replaced the spark plugs and coil packs.
Just took to Prestige for free diagnostic, they are currently replacing the craft shank seal, and the oil pan gasket this will likely be $600+
There are a couple other maintenance things I'm opting not to do right now, break-something-flush and something else not urgent.
Anyhow, I owe over 8K on it, and best case KBB is $6500. I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and trade it in for another Honda (or something cheap to maintain) I love this little car, I just don't know if its worth it.. I don't want a new MINI because they are expensive and drive like cars, not MINIs. These things are going to keep happening, and yes, with periodic check-ups I should be able to avoid something catastrophic (I think??) But I just don't know what to do. I feel like, If I'm going to sell or trade, the time might best be now.
Any advice (or offers lol) welcome.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:35 PM
J Free
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just bought a 2009 Clubman JCW 40K from TX and drove home. Tires were pretty worn, ended up killing one on the Tail of the Dragon on the way-replaced all. Got home and took it to be looked over by the local dealer. (bought private party/ran Carfax) Long story short ended up with a $1800 bill today including some mercy and help from dealer. Some of the same things you did I would guess. Curious why valve cover needed replacing (I was told the same, couldn't do it now) Also curious where you're located (I may have gone to the same dealer). Bottom line is I think these will always need some extra care and feeding vs a Honda or the like. I really love the car and hope it will be worth it too. Personally I'd give it a go, I know I am.
PS had a new Cooper S loaner-very nice, but a much diluted experience and style/layout, I do prefer mine as well.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:18 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow...I would offload the car, especially if it's an oil burner. Good luck to you.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:28 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Just get the gaskets replaced and move on, not the end of the world.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:30 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
I would say you are in too deep to get out now. Fix the stuff that needs "now" attention, and enjoy. Honda? Nope. You will NEVER have as much fun in a Honda as you are having with your MINI. I am still looking for a decent low-mileage Gen 1 MINI, because I fell in love with that supercharger whine! I love my 2011 MCS, but that whine? Gotta have one! I will, one day...

Old 12-29-2015, 08:19 PM
stormborn
1st Gear
thanks guys. see laundry list. so done.

But after paying the gut wrenching $840 bill today I think enough is enough. I test drove a 13 VW Golf with a 2 YEAR WARRANTY and I was pretty much sold. Its not the same, it's not an R56. But how nice it will be to not have to worry about, "how much is it going to cost me this time" I have spent over 3k on the car in less than two years. I owe 3k more than the trade in value. I dont really want to get myself into more debt, but it will be worth it for the peace of mind. Hopefully MINI will get their **** together in the next few years by time I'm ready to buy again.
Likely going to pull the trigger on the VW tomorrow. Sadly. I do love my MINI and it is very bittersweet to let her go. But enough is enough. Honestly these people should no be in business for the type of defective product they are selling its disgusting and actually physically nauseating.
Good Luck all, below is the rough repair list if your interested.

43,000 Miles: $300
2 rear tires, got a bubble in the run flats as soon as I got the car home

45,949 Miles: $614
Timing Chain and tensioner (factory alert) $free
Leaking cooling pump $614

46,735 Miles: $937
Valve cover gasket leak, replace cylinder head cover
Front axel seal leaking

50something miles: $800-900 (receipt not on hand)
3 gaskets replaced, oil leaking from 3 places.

63,000 Miles: $500
Replaced all spark plugs and coil covers

64,000 Miles: $842
Front Crank seal leak
Oil Pan leak

Old 12-29-2015, 08:20 PM
stormborn
1st Gear
Originally Posted by renchjeep
I would say you are in too deep to get out now. Fix the stuff that needs "now" attention, and enjoy. Honda? Nope. You will NEVER have as much fun in a Honda as you are having with your MINI. I am still looking for a decent low-mileage Gen 1 MINI, because I fell in love with that supercharger whine! I love my 2011 MCS, but that whine? Gotta have one! I will, one day...
see the list I just posted. Am I a fool to give up now or a fool to keep it? It's like roulette with this car.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:25 PM
stormborn
1st Gear
Originally Posted by J Free
I just bought a 2009 Clubman JCW 40K from TX and drove home. Tires were pretty worn, ended up killing one on the Tail of the Dragon on the way-replaced all. Got home and took it to be looked over by the local dealer. (bought private party/ran Carfax) Long story short ended up with a $1800 bill today including some mercy and help from dealer. Some of the same things you did I would guess. Curious why valve cover needed replacing (I was told the same, couldn't do it now) Also curious where you're located (I may have gone to the same dealer). Bottom line is I think these will always need some extra care and feeding vs a Honda or the like. I really love the car and hope it will be worth it too. Personally I'd give it a go, I know I am.
PS had a new Cooper S loaner-very nice, but a much diluted experience and style/layout, I do prefer mine as well.
Valve cover needed replacing because the leak was bad enough the car lost power. I wish you luck, I don't know if 09s are any better than 07s, but if you are not a mechanic yourself, and you don't have considerable "disposable income" I'd say RUN don't walk and switch that Mini Moneypit out for something else. Sorry to be a pessimist. I love everything about the car, the way it looks the way it drives. But I've spent 1/3 of its selling price on fixing it in less than two years. pathetic. 3 gaskets for 1k less than a year ago, and 2 now for $850? Pathetic! just because they are hard to get to, and lets face it ALL gaskets dry out eventually. You'll spend your life savings on gaskets alone.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:54 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by stormborn
But after paying the gut wrenching $840 bill today I think enough is enough. I test drove a 13 VW Golf with a 2 YEAR WARRANTY and I was pretty much sold. Its not the same, it's not an R56. But how nice it will be to not have to worry about, "how much is it going to cost me this time" I have spent over 3k on the car in less than two years. I owe 3k more than the trade in value. I dont really want to get myself into more debt, but it will be worth it for the peace of mind. Hopefully MINI will get their **** together in the next few years by time I'm ready to buy again.
Likely going to pull the trigger on the VW tomorrow. Sadly. I do love my MINI and it is very bittersweet to let her go. But enough is enough. Honestly these people should no be in business for the type of defective product they are selling its disgusting and actually physically nauseating.
Good Luck all, below is the rough repair list if your interested.
Good move...offload the car...there are just too many problems with the 2007 MINI S and its N14 engine.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:53 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
My wife has a 13 golf tdi, it may be polluting but it is fun to drive. Lots of low end torque. Unless you do your own repairs that old mini will kill you.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:49 AM
J Free
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stormborn
Valve cover needed replacing because the leak was bad enough the car lost power. I wish you luck, I don't know if 09s are any better than 07s, but if you are not a mechanic yourself, and you don't have considerable "disposable income" I'd say RUN don't walk and switch that Mini Moneypit out for something else. Sorry to be a pessimist. I love everything about the car, the way it looks the way it drives. But I've spent 1/3 of its selling price on fixing it in less than two years. pathetic. 3 gaskets for 1k less than a year ago, and 2 now for $850? Pathetic! just because they are hard to get to, and lets face it ALL gaskets dry out eventually. You'll spend your life savings on gaskets alone.
Are you in NJ? I don't really understand the valve cover-I was told that too, I've never heard of that as a wear item in my life. I went into it knowing the care and feeding would be more involved. I do do much mechanical work myself. Have a Land Rover LR3 and a '75 Mini in the drive I'm familiar with quirks and oddities mechanically. Some years ago my dad had an XJS-after having to drop $800-1000 into it every other month or so after about 2 years he pulled the plug. It does seem like it was designed as if it would rarely need attention, I don't expect oil leaks or timing chain issues in such low mileage. I have an '09 Chevy HHR SS with 140k-no leaks, no mechanical issues, only wear and tear items replaced, damn, maybe I should just keep it. As a kid we had a '76 Lancia (bought new) broke a timing belt at 17k and did major damage. I did break my rule and buy a euro car out of warranty because the price was right and I do love it for what it is. I'm sorry you've had this experience, I hope that I don't, but only time will tell. In the meantime I'm here trying to learn what I can about these things. Good luck with the VW if you go that route-I have quite a few friends with them, mostly diesels. A sidenote-have you looked at Mazdaspeed 3 turbo, lots of fun to drive with practicality and no "curse of the eurocar" issues?

Old 12-30-2015, 09:52 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
If you're DIY handy and enjoy learning to work on your MINI it would've/will save you a lot of money on the past and feature repairs. There are lots of great guides (like our large list of DIY tech articles), coupled with our MINI parts, that can help keep money in your pocket when it comes time to fixes/repairs. If you don't feel comfortable doing this with the bigger more difficult jobs, you can do this for the more simple routine jobs. Good luck with whatever you decide.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-30-2015, 03:12 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Unless you do your own repairs that old mini will kill you.

That is why I got a 4-year / 75,000 mile warranty when I purchased my 2015 MINI.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:01 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
You bought the worst year MINI, and you weren't doing any repairs yourself...yea you better get a different car. Really have to do your homework before buying a vehicle. Enjoy the VW my girlfriends Jetta has been great for 155k miles.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:26 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
you bought the worst year mini, and you weren't doing any repairs yourself...yea you better get a different car. Really have to do your homework before buying a vehicle. Enjoy the vw my girlfriends jetta has been great for 155k miles.
+1 ^

Old 12-30-2015, 08:08 PM
stormborn
1st Gear
The valve cover, when they replaced it they said it looked like it had been messed with, like they had band-aided it before selling it to me. That repair was just over a month into owning it. The car had been repossessed before I bought it, so clearly whoever had it, was not spending money on maintaining it. I didnt think about the ramifications of that till it was biting my in the wallet.
I can't say I regret it, I still love the car. It was the color I wanted in the price point I could afford. I bought it in Memphis, it had never seen a winter. I flew my mother down with me and drove it back. I'll treasure that road trip for the rest of my life. I had a lot of fun driving it.
I did some homework,but apparently not enough. I never knew as much about cars (other than a 74 bug, I could tell you a lot about those )as I do now. I didn't know one model year difference could change everything.
Ive done a ton of homework on this Golf, and negotiated the best deal I could, they're giving me a much higher trade in value than they originally offered. Certified pre-owned 2 year warranty bumper to bumper, 4 year power rain (whoo hoo!)
Done deal. Thanks again all and good luck!