R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 What made you get a MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 04:01 PM
Miniwaukee
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What made you get a MINI?

I've been asking myself this question for the last 3mo since I bought mine. I have a 2010 MCS, so its not the most reliable car in the world, but I love it none the less and couldn't imagine driving anything else. I know its going to cost a ton to maintain and there are plenty more reliable cars out there, but nothing brought me as much joy as this car. What made you get yours?

Old 10-21-2015, 05:33 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
This is the only car I can think of where I repeatedly hear how unreliable or expensive the car is, but everyone loves it and would buy it again.

I wanted a fun daily and a MINI S seemed like an updated blend of my '65 bug, and 2dr 510 I never got to modify. In about a year it was stripped of it's daily status and became just another fun car I hope to keep forever.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:33 PM
cjny
2nd Gear
Also own a 2010 MCS: Except for some motorcycles, it provides incomparable fun per gallon.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:00 PM
I_drive_slow
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a non-s. It drives like a Honda CRX and I can fit in it.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:09 PM
JohnDoe11
2nd Gear
Went in to get my Mazda 6i checked for a recall and saw my now R55s for sale. I can honestly say that Japanese cars are a million times more reliable since I had 0 mechanical failure on it in 11 years and 170k miles, But the thrill and joy I get from my Mini might just be worth all the trouble it's given me in the short 6k miles I've had her.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:40 AM
BadgeFTW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Miniwaukee
I've been asking myself this question for the last 3mo since I bought mine. I have a 2010 MCS, so its not the most reliable car in the world, but I love it none the less and couldn't imagine driving anything else. I know its going to cost a ton to maintain and there are plenty more reliable cars out there, but nothing brought me as much joy as this car. What made you get yours?
i saw an R53 being shown off in a dealership parking lot and it was love at first sight. I evventuely ended up with 3 in a row(currently on my 3rd one).

Old 10-23-2015, 06:57 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've always liked things that were a little off-center and out of what's called 'the norm'. Reminds me of a happening in 1982. My wife and I were shopping for a new car and had just test driven a new Volvo. Honestly I was impressed and asked my wife what her thoughts were. She commented that "it was a nice car but let's wait until we're old before we buy a Volvo". I doubt we'll ever buy a Volvo.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:53 AM
I_drive_slow
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by whaap
I've always liked things that were a little off-center and out of what's called 'the norm'. Reminds me of a happening in 1982. My wife and I were shopping for a new car and had just test driven a new Volvo. Honestly I was impressed and asked my wife what her thoughts were. She commented that "it was a nice car but let's wait until we're old before we buy a Volvo". I doubt we'll ever buy a Volvo.
Haha come on, how can you not like a boxy 1980s volvo?

I'm actually warming up to modern volvos, I used to hate them. But the c30 does have a certain charm.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:00 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
I test-drove an MCSm in 2006 at Patrick MINI in Schaumburg, Illinois. It was the most fun I had had in a car since a friend took me for rides in his MG. I immediately ordered a 2007 MCSm. Then came a 2009 Clubman. Then came a 2011 MCSm. Now I am driving a 2016 MCSa. I simply cannot imagine wanting to drive anything else

At age 69, I feel like a kid in a go-kart

Old 10-23-2015, 08:03 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
my girlfriend. the driving fun made me keep it though

base cooper reliability is bulletproof

Old 10-23-2015, 10:00 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
I was looking for something fun to drive, like a go kart, but with decent gas mileage. I was lucky enough to find a MCS on craigslist that was in great condition, fully loaded for $15k so I decided to get it in March 2013.

Every time I start the car and hear the jcw exhaust it makes me so happy, so I have 0 regrets about buying the car. Now I'm looking for that slightly sharper tool known as a 2013 fJCW.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:30 AM
Gipper
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I went to a friend at a used car dealership and test drove an Audi S5, Mercedes E350, and Mini S. The entire dealership was stunned when I said I wanted the Mini. The S5 was cramped, the Mercedes was just like my trade-in (C300), but the Mini was a blast to drive.

And it still is.

Eric

Old 10-23-2015, 12:06 PM
R56in
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Like others have said, its the closest thing to a street legal go-kart you can get. I sold my wife on the 36mpg, but in reality I don't get near that with how much fun it is to drive.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:33 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by R56in
Like others have said, its the closest thing to a street legal go-kart you can get. I sold my wife on the 36mpg, but in reality I don't get near that with how much fun it is to drive.
well, with a roof, there's always the Ariel atom.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:55 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What made me get a mini ? Commute to work. Then I got a job closer to home. I still thought it was a cool car. So I kept it and tried to make it run better. Which I did. Quite well to be honest.
But if I would have known back then what I know now, I would've suited up like I was going racing and barrel rolled the damn thing down the highway. But, I've still got it and it might be for sale soon in the very near future. All reasonable offers will be considered.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:19 AM
ljmiii
3rd Gear
The test drive. It just was SO much more fun to drive than anything else I tested. Well...that combined with my needs and BMW's beliefs about the US market.

I wanted a four door because that meant I'd get to drive it far more often (en famille). I needed something that could transport a cello and ideally a double bass. If BMW sold the 5 door hatchback (F20) in the states I might have bought it. If they gave us an F20 M series or electric I'd have definitely bought it.

But all that said, I'm very, very happy with my MINI.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:14 AM
Gearheadaddy
3rd Gear
In 1969 I drove a Mini....Then 2 years ago, 3 kids and 8 grandkids later...I picked up a 2010 Mayfair S in 2013! I'm a happy happy guy...

Old 10-24-2015, 10:18 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Hmmm....what made me buy a MINI? I was looking for a small car for my commute, which is mostly 2-lane twisty mountain roads. I wanted something quick, with great handling. Manual trans, because rebuilding an auto is not in my forte, PRICEY to have a shop do it, but I can drop a manual trans and replace a clutch myself. Maybe some MPG's, as well. Looked at Subaru Impeza's, WRX for the AWD, turbo for the acceleration factor. The ones for sale were either highly modded units being sold by "kids" who had thrashed the crap out of them, or really nice "adult-owned" non-modded units for prices out of my price range. A friend of mine saw MY 2011 R56S online at a local BMW dealer, and I went for a test-drive. With only 22k on the clock, she was 3 years old, and I was very impressed with the acceleration and handling! Green, not my fave color, but BRG is about the ONLY green I would consider acceptable for a "British" car. I bought her, financed for 7 years at 1.79%, and bought the Hendricks extended warranty. There were a few issues in the first year, all addressed by the remaining factory warranty. HPFP, fuel sending units, and some appearance issues....door sill plates discolored, discoloring buttons for DSC and Sport mode, wear on the steering wheel control buttons, and the lower chrome grille trim was removing itself. Since purchase, I have modded some (read as:a LOT of) stuff myself, and all of my mods have improved the car so far. Now at almost 49k, and I am still having a BLAST every time I get behind the wheel of my MINI! With my meticulous maintenance, I see no reason why this MINI will not see 200k plus miles, unless I drive off a cliff somewhere! Oh, and I found out AFTER purchase that I had the N18, and I am thankful for that, as this generation of engines seems to have far less issues than the previous N14.

All-in-all, a great and FUN purchase for about 25k financed, including the extended warranty.

Happy camper here, Motoring On.....

Old 10-25-2015, 08:46 PM
KeyPlayaJim
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I like both trucks and small, sporty cars, and not much in between. In 2003, I test drove an R53-S and loved it, and later a Ford F150 SVT Lightning, and loved that, also. I ended up getting the Lightning because I needed a pickup at the time, plus the Ford dealer was 15 minutes away vs. the MINI dealer's 60.

Over the next ten years, I had a blast with the Lightning, but found that it was less fun to drive on public roads than I expected. It's like the old saying: It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. And there was the cost: 14 MPG on mandatory premium gas, and tires that cost $375 each but only lasted 10k-12k miles.

For the entire ten years that I owned the Lightning, I wistfully noticed every MINI on the road. In 2013 I decided that I was going to retire within the next couple years. I didn't want to do so with a 12-year-old pickup that guzzled a gallon of premium fuel every 14 miles and ate expensive tires like candy.

So, I traded the Lightning in on my 2013 MINI Cooper S Hardtop. Yes, the dealer actually gave me a fair trade-in value! (It might have helped that the same company also owns a couple Ford dealerships.) So I can't throw a refrigerator in the back -- I love every minute of driving it, and can go at least 20 miles farther on every gallon of gas. Which is good, since I'm now living on a pension.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:31 PM
coachvminis
4th Gear
Well, well, well...What made me buy a Mini, without much research if any..I bought it 2009 MCS BRG Turbo, Looked at an 07' Ice Blue Supercharger Convertible,which I should have purchased. Coming from the VW/Audi scene most of my life been driving since I was 13 illegally of course 1972 Bug was my first on and on up to the 01 Audi TT Quattro Aviator Grey Awesome ride. Kick my butt everyday for letting her go.
Bought the Mini handles great no doubt not much power which I was used too.
Mechanical issues are in abundance and I do all my repairs. So saving huge in that dept. Needless to say is quick enough and nimble enough and small enough to park in most places in a tight spot. Probably will be my first and last. Not due to the fun factor but due to the Mechanical Issues. BMW blew it. But My opinion.
Bought on a whim and a quick decision. If I researched it I probably would not have bought it. Sucker everyday ...
I hope I can get the Mileage out of this MCS Like I did with the Audi purchased 17,000 miles sold at 186,000 still strong Over a 7yr period
this MCS bought with 28,000 miles and at 80,000 now 2 yr period. Time will tell 186,000 is pushing it...lets see...till then my friends 186,000 is the goal

Last edited by coachvminis; 10-26-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:24 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by renchjeep
Hmmm....what made me buy a MINI? I was looking for a small car for my commute, which is mostly 2-lane twisty mountain roads. I wanted something quick, with great handling. Manual trans, because rebuilding an auto is not in my forte, PRICEY to have a shop do it, but I can drop a manual trans and replace a clutch myself. Maybe some MPG's, as well. Looked at Subaru Impeza's, WRX for the AWD, turbo for the acceleration factor. The ones for sale were either highly modded units being sold by "kids" who had thrashed the crap out of them, or really nice "adult-owned" non-modded units for prices out of my price range. A friend of mine saw MY 2011 R56S online at a local BMW dealer, and I went for a test-drive. With only 22k on the clock, she was 3 years old, and I was very impressed with the acceleration and handling! Green, not my fave color, but BRG is about the ONLY green I would consider acceptable for a "British" car. I bought her, financed for 7 years at 1.79%, and bought the Hendricks extended warranty. There were a few issues in the first year, all addressed by the remaining factory warranty. HPFP, fuel sending units, and some appearance issues....door sill plates discolored, discoloring buttons for DSC and Sport mode, wear on the steering wheel control buttons, and the lower chrome grille trim was removing itself. Since purchase, I have modded some (read as:a LOT of) stuff myself, and all of my mods have improved the car so far. Now at almost 49k, and I am still having a BLAST every time I get behind the wheel of my MINI! With my meticulous maintenance, I see no reason why this MINI will not see 200k plus miles, unless I drive off a cliff somewhere! Oh, and I found out AFTER purchase that I had the N18, and I am thankful for that, as this generation of engines seems to have far less issues than the previous N14.

All-in-all, a great and FUN purchase for about 25k financed, including the extended warranty.

Happy camper here, Motoring On.....
You can make it to 186. I got to 178 and had I not decided to make faster I would have been at 186 on stock ecu.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:18 PM
_ynot
1st Gear
Have been watching MINIs on the road for a few years now, and really liked the look. I have been driving an 06 silverado since I bought it new 10 years ago. Just paid off the wifes car a couple months ago, so it was my turn to get a new vehicle.

I had never even sat in a MINI before, so a couple weeks back went to the dealer and test drove one. I had no idea. After the test drive my wife said to go ahead and get it (before this we had agreed to wait until spring). I asked her why the change, she said the look on my face during the test drive. Apparently I had goofy grin on my face the entire test drive.

This past Friday I went back to the dealer and bought a new 15 MCS that was on the lot. Only been a few days and I love this car.

I kept the truck, but I don't think it will see much use now.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:24 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
My wife nuff said

Old 10-26-2015, 06:37 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Small block hot rod - check.
Big block hot rod - check.
Custom truck - check.
Then I drove a 2006 night fire red hardtop (later to be affectionately known as Pepper). Stick a fork in me cause I was done. Who wants to wield a sledgehammer after they've handled a Katana? Went from there to an R56S hardtop called Tigger which I still own and now a JCW coupe named Vlad. Probably going to sell Tigger as the wife is eyeing a Countryman or the new Clubman. Has the journey been without its ups and downs? Nope, but I learned a little bit along the way and spent the vast majority of the time with a big stupid grin plastered all over my face.