R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 Brake Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 01:28 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr_Romulus
Originally Posted by [B
Bleedsblue][/B]I can't imagine anything short of a full race car needing more brakes than the S or JCW package w/ good (not fleabay) pads and rotors.

I agree. I'm looking for something aesthetic more that track ready. The brakes on my S are super sensitive as it is.
You can address hyper-sensitivity of OEM brake pads by going with an aftermarket pad that has slightly lower initial brake torque. I used to have the same problem - could not gracefully decelerate or come to a stop without snapping passengers' necks. No longer a problem now that I'm running StopTech Street pads (I'm sure there are other street pads that will work fine).

Come to think of it, even my autoX Hawk HP+ pads have more linear brake torque and less initial grab than the OEM pads. HP+'s dust and squeal like crazy, so I would not recommend them for daily driver use. But it just comes to show how sensitive stock pads are.

a

Old 08-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Dr_Romulus
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like I need to wax the wheels and replace the pads and potentially scuff up and paint the calipers when these brakes start to chirp to change the pads. I'm thinking about putting 25mm spacers on them too since I like the look of a wider stance :-D

I don't think I could stomach writing a check for $2K for the JCW big brake upgrade. Or deal with my wife kicking my butt.

Last edited by Dr_Romulus; 08-28-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:51 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by afadeev
You can address hyper-sensitivity of OEM brake pads by going with an aftermarket pad that has slightly lower initial brake torque. I used to have the same problem - could not gracefully decelerate or come to a stop without snapping passengers' necks. No longer a problem now that I'm running StopTech Street pads (I'm sure there are other street pads that will work fine).

Come to think of it, even my autoX Hawk HP+ pads have more linear brake torque and less initial grab than the OEM pads. HP+'s dust and squeal like crazy, so I would not recommend them for daily driver use. But it just comes to show how sensitive stock pads are.

a
Have you any experience with Carbotech 1521 pads?

Old 08-30-2014, 10:51 AM
polizzi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ended up putting brembo big kit over jcw. They are bigger and offer more bite on 18" wheels. Good mini stock brakes but on 184 they just lost something.