R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Misfire, no compression on cyl 4

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 01:28 PM
oldMGguy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by afadeev
Run the #s, it may start making sense.
Brand new (and/or factory rebuild) N14 can be had for ~$3.5K from select MINI dealerships. If you can DIY, with a few extra tools you will have a brand new engine for under $4K. And that buys you a new water pump, oil pump, thermostat, spark plugs, removal of all oil leaks from your current engine, and removal of any and all carbon deposit on the intake valves. Basically, around ~$1.5K worth of goodies that your current N14 already needs, or will need real soon now.

The alternative is to ditch the R56 for scrap metal, to part it out, or sell it to someone else who is willing to repair it. Figure $500-$3K at most.

As long as you R56 is worth more than $4.5-$7K, you are way better off fixing the car and enjoying the brand new engine for at least another 60K miles.

Even bare bones clean first-year '07 MCS still go for around $10K these days.

Add a bit of curiosity, and a tinkering bug, and a dropping in a new engine becomes an obvious course of action for any DIY guy.

If you can't DIY, or are sick of your car, than the decision tree branches differently.

a
Thanks for the comments. Since I elected to go for the new engine, I also replaced all belts and rubber hoses, "renewed" the transmission (clutch, seals, etc) since it was already in parts on the shop floor. I have nothing but applause for MINI of Murray (Salt Lake City) for working with me. Just turned over the 1,500 mile break-in point and the car seems to have seriously more zip than the old motor had - or maybe it's just all that money talking ...

I sent off a nasty-gram to BMW-USA, mentioning that today's auto consumers expect modern engines to last more than 80,000 miles - even if it is a British motor. I requested they "participate" in the engine repair as a matter of loyal customer good-will (I've owned 2 MINIs) even though the car is way out of warranty. They sent back a check to cover 25% of the cost!

Old 01-09-2015, 02:24 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by oldMGguy
Thanks for the comments. Since I elected to go for the new engine, I also replaced all belts and rubber hoses, "renewed" the transmission (clutch, seals, etc) since it was already in parts on the shop floor. I have nothing but applause for MINI of Murray (Salt Lake City) for working with me. Just turned over the 1,500 mile break-in point and the car seems to have seriously more zip than the old motor had - or maybe it's just all that money talking ...

I sent off a nasty-gram to BMW-USA, mentioning that today's auto consumers expect modern engines to last more than 80,000 miles - even if it is a British motor. I requested they "participate" in the engine repair as a matter of loyal customer good-will (I've owned 2 MINIs) even though the car is way out of warranty. They sent back a check to cover 25% of the cost!
Wow I wouldn't have thought they had it in them.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:54 AM
minimike1!
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem. I changed the number 4 and number one ignition module. This solved the problem. The connection was a bit corroded. Just swapping probably scrapped some of the stuff off. Then I cleaned it and it ran about the same. Pretty darn good. For the brave of heart. Take out the number four plug before the next oil change. Use one of those long skinny auto transmission funnels and pour a whole can of seafoan down into the the piston and let it sit overnight. Replace the spark plug and crank it up the next day. It seemed to get rid of most of the carbon though it did smoke like hell for a few minutes. Before the next oil change do the number one piston the same way and be sure to change the oil afterwards. Continue to go through all cylinders until you've done them all. Make take a year of so. Or you can take it and have the walnuts shot into the manifold and pay a few hundred. Can only say it worked for me. 141,00 and still going strong.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:21 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
My vote is a blown piston/ring
ThumperMCS wins the brownie points on this one.

I finally had time (a year later!) to pull the head on the old engine, and to my surprise, all valves on cylinder 4 looked just fine (pic #1 below). However, pistons didn't look as pristine (pic #2), and piston #4 in particular seams to have a piece missing (pic #3) with some cylinder wall scarring to go with it.

I still do not understand what happened in cylinder #4, but the residual damage is that the spark has lost its electrode, and a piece of cylinder #4 has gone missing without a trace, and scarred the cylinder head.

Weird.
Any ideas on what could have transpired?
Any thoughts on whether the block can/should be salvaged?

TIA,
a

Attached Thumbnails Misfire, no compression on cyl 4-n14-valve-head-small.jpg   Misfire, no compression on cyl 4-n14-pistons-small.jpg   Misfire, no compression on cyl 4-n14-piston-4-small.jpg  
Old 06-22-2015, 01:27 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by afadeev
ThumperMCS wins the brownie points on this one.

I finally had time (a year later!) to pull the head on the old engine, and to my surprise, all valves on cylinder 4 looked just fine (pic #1 below). However, pistons didn't look as pristine (pic #2), and piston #4 in particular seams to have a piece missing (pic #3) with some cylinder wall scarring to go with it.

I still do not understand what happened in cylinder #4, but the residual damage is that the spark has lost its electrode, and a piece of cylinder #4 has gone missing without a trace, and scarred the cylinder head.

Weird.
Any ideas on what could have transpired?
Any thoughts on whether the block can/should be salvaged?

TIA,
a
Interesting I wonder which happened first, the electrode falling into the cylinder or the piston failure. Depending on how big the broken piece of piston is it's possible it made it into the exhaust manifold, hope it didn't come into contact with the turbo compressor. I think your alright cylinder wise if you machine the cylinders, you might as well replace all the valves and pistons and rebuild your engine. I'm assuming you'll do most of the labor, now is your chance build it with stronger pistons and rods.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:24 AM
afadeev
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Interesting I wonder which happened first, the electrode falling into the cylinder or the piston failure. Depending on how big the broken piece of piston is it's possible it made it into the exhaust manifold, hope it didn't come into contact with the turbo compressor. I think your alright cylinder wise if you machine the cylinders, you might as well replace all the valves and pistons and rebuild your engine. I'm assuming you'll do most of the labor, now is your chance build it with stronger pistons and rods.
This entire causation sequence remains a mystery to me.

The fact that the piston would loose a chunk, even if there was excessive detonation, is extraordinary. I have to assume it went first, as I can't imagine a scenario where a broken electrode would take out a piston. I could see it bouncing around and damaging one of the exhaust valves on the way out (not present!), but taking out a piston - that would be remarkable.
My present working assumption is that excessive denotation, causes unknown, was not properly mitigated by the knock sensor + DME, and that produced enough of an explosion to both take out the spark plug and the chunk of a piston.

The one remaining mystery is where the chunk of that piston went. It is too big to have exited out the exhaust valve hole without causing some damage to the valve (again, exhaust valves are not damaged!!), the only other place to go would be down past the crankshaft to the oil pan, but that path is not viable as only the top portion of the piston is damaged (there is no through hole).

a

Old 06-22-2015, 09:25 AM
blunderbird
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same thing happened on my car around 75k. #3 died. unfortunately, they didn't let me keep the old engine, so i couldn't tear it down to see if the valve or the piston died (couldn't see a hole in the piston with the boroscope i had before i took it in).

I asked the tech the same thing when he was replacing my engine "well, if something broke off and shot out...it had to go somewhere right??" he actually let me inspect the turbo once he got it out and it looked fine. from reading many of the failure analysis threads on here, seems like 50/50 chance either a valve broke, ring broke, or piston melted (although, my engine finally failed under a steady cruise while still getting up to full temp, so i doubt that).

Old 06-22-2015, 03:38 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Depending on how big the broken piece of piston is it's possible it made it into the exhaust manifold, hope it didn't come into contact with the turbo compressor.
Forgot to comment on this bit - when I replaced the engine last year, I did inspect the turbo and there wrtr zero signs of wear on the blades. It is working just fine with the new engine.

It is hypothetically possible that the piston chunk did not break off in one piece, but in multiple shards, that made it past the exhaust valves and were routed straight into the cat (if the waste-gate was closed).

I think your alright cylinder wise if you machine the cylinders, you might as well replace all the valves and pistons and rebuild your engine. I'm assuming you'll do most of the labor, now is your chance build it with stronger pistons and rods.
I would be doing most of the labor, but if I proceed with the rebuild of this engine, it would be a spare / fun project. The rebuild engine would go into one of the N14 donor cars that are popping up with blown engines with a disturbingly increasing frequency.

Does anyone have a lead at a shop in NE that could machine the block?
Some experience with MINI's would be plus.

TIA,
a

Last edited by afadeev; 06-22-2015 at 04:58 PM.