R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Who's Planning to Keep Their 2ND Gen Car Forever?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 06:39 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 13Hardtop_S
18 days as an MCS owner. Still in the "honeymoon". Here is my list of things about the car I am unhappy with:
. ummmmm ... OK. Here's the list ......
hmmmmm
OK. I wouldn't change a thing. And yes, I believe I will have myself buried in mine. I like it just that much!
Wait!? Wait!!

You have to Run to JD Powers and ***** about the speedometer, and window switches!! And then also give the sales staff a bad survey because the cup holders are too small. And the seats are too hard, and the car is too small!!

Old 03-18-2014, 06:41 AM
13Hardtop_S
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by danjreed
Wait!? Wait!!

You have to Run to JD Powers and ***** about the speedometer, and window switches!! And then also give the sales staff a bad survey because the cup holders are too small. And the seats are too hard, and the car is too small!!

Old 03-18-2014, 09:43 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
If they discontinue the R58S like rumors are saying...then absolutely!

More reason to keep it.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:11 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
I FOUND IT!!!!!! It was my trunk!!!! My driver side rear, it's connected to the hinge(metal) and it's loose compared to the passenger side rear. I just drove the car while I was in the back seat and left the trunk open and it was it! Glad I found it. I'm guessing these bastard potholes loosened it up.
What's a trunk? My MC came with a boot.

I'll be keeping my MC until.... oh wait it's gone b/ c it was not reliable. I had countless parts replaced and got sick of waiting for something expensive to go. Maybe it was b/c I put on 1800 miles a month...

Old 03-19-2014, 02:05 PM
Ian Fraser
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Goodwood is a keeper. My JCW when the lease is finished its gone. I doubt there will be another new MINI.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:09 AM
13Hardtop_S
1st Gear
Almost one month, 1,150 miles, and I am STILL thinking of excuses to drive somewhere I think it's a keeper.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me and Romy will continue to motor on as long as she and I can. She will be the last Mini I own. I do not care for the path BMW is taking Mini down.

Romy has been rock solid for me. She rides and drives like she did when I picked her up. The clutch is probably going to need replacing in another 10 or 20 thousand miles and maybe the cam chain, but at 85,000 miles, I could not have asked for a better car.

All I have done is change oil and filter every 3,000 miles, put new brakes on as needed, replaced the thermostat housing, replace tires, and the original battery finally had to be replaced last month. What else can you ask for a car that is so fun to drive?

Oh, and she has been getting over 40MPG since I changed to Ecopia 422's for the tires. WOOHOO!

Last edited by Skuzzy; 03-25-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Womanual
2nd Gear
When I ordered him I knew what I wanted. I love driving him and love how he looks but with only 28,000 miles I've been in the shop too many times. He's on short notice. One more serious issue before 36,000 and he's getting traded for a BRZ...

Old 03-26-2014, 04:17 PM
komet155
4th Gear
That many problems in a little over a year? Were most of them specific to the "S" engine or were there other general R56 problems?

So far the only chronic issue I've had is the one touch window feature not always working first thing in the morning. Nothing huge, but annoying all the same.

Originally Posted by Womanual
When I ordered him I knew what I wanted. I love driving him and love how he looks but with only 28,000 miles I've been in the shop too many times. He's on short notice. One more serious issue before 36,000 and he's getting traded for a BRZ...

Old 03-26-2014, 05:10 PM
Womanual
2nd Gear
Two of the problems were known R56 issues. Don't think they were turbo specific. Bad software and leaking solenoid (replacement part required new engine mounts too) were the known ones. Crazy windshield/wiper problems, cracked coolant pump and exterior bulb outages/interior bulb dimming are just my bad luck I think. Frustrating cause he is a lot of fun.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:30 PM
TREX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
If they discontinue the R58S like rumors are saying...then absolutely!

More reason to keep it.
Was considering dumping the Mini when the warranty ran out, but if they become a rarity then perhaps I might just hang on to it and see what happens.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:36 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree that the R56 has its share of problems.. But I do really like the looks of it. I think ive been lucky all around. But I do want to point out that if anyone thinks the new F56 wont have problems they will be very mistaken..thats just the nature of the beast. My biggest gripe is two things with MINIs. One is I don't feel they update parts that are defective. So when one replaces it with a new one all you are doing is putting on a new part that will fail again. The second one which kinda reflects to number one is they need to take care of the customer better at replacing faulty parts even when they fall out of the warranty range. This good will thing doesn't always apply to everyone. It seems they get to pick and chose this.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:44 PM
komet155
4th Gear
I agree, alot of the parts seem more flimsy and "cheap" than what I was accustomed to on all the volkswagens I've owned (this is my very first non-vw)

Originally Posted by ZIPPY "S"
I agree that the R56 has its share of problems.. But I do really like the looks of it. I think ive been lucky all around. But I do want to point out that if anyone thinks the new F56 wont have problems they will be very mistaken..thats just the nature of the beast. My biggest gripe is two things with MINIs. One is I don't feel they update parts that are defective. So when one replaces it with a new one all you are doing is putting on a new part that will fail again. The second one which kinda reflects to number one is they need to take care of the customer better at replacing faulty parts even when they fall out of the warranty range. This good will thing doesn't always apply to everyone. It seems they get to pick and chose this.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:51 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by komet155
I agree, alot of the parts seem more flimsy and "cheap" than what I was accustomed to on all the volkswagens I've owned (this is my very first non-vw)
Good point, but that's also part of the issue......they were VW's....fine transportation, but boring rides compared to R56's, especially the S and JCW versions, IMO....same with Hondas and Toyotas.

We bought our Minis with eyes wide open. We assume we are going to have problems with both of them. probably numerous problems. We just got hooked on these things. We just dig everything about them (except the reliability numbers, obviously).

We will have to make a decision before the 50k warranty runs out. spend a boat load of money for another 50k factory extended warranty or take our chances......

Old 03-26-2014, 06:07 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Yeah, I'll keep it forever, just like every other car I've had. I still have my first car, a '52 MGTD! I just keep them maintained and fix things as they break. My '82 GMC S15 has nearly 600K miles on it and is on it's third engine and second transmission it's been reupholstered and repainted and it looks new. Rust isn't a problem where I live, so it is all mechanical stuff to take care of.

My other high mileage car is a '98 Volvo V70 T5, it has 220K miles on it and uses a quart of oil between oil changes, it runs great and looks great. I have eight cars and they are all garaged. I will probably get another MINI eventually, but I'll keep my Clubman S forever, so far it's been trouble free, the only times it's been to the dealer is for oil changes.

Dave

Old 03-26-2014, 06:20 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
Yeah, I'll keep it forever, just like every other car I've had. I still have my first car, a '52 MGTD! I just keep them maintained and fix things as they break. My '82 GMC S15 has nearly 600K miles on it and is on it's third engine and second transmission it's been reupholstered and repainted and it looks new. Rust isn't a problem where I live, so it is all mechanical stuff to take care of.

My other high mileage car is a '98 Volvo V70 T5, it has 220K miles on it and uses a quart of oil between oil changes, it runs great and looks great. I have eight cars and they are all garaged. I will probably get another MINI eventually, but I'll keep my Clubman S forever, so far it's been trouble free, the only times it's been to the dealer is for oil changes.

Dave
Very nice Dave....600k....wow

Old 03-28-2014, 07:21 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
took extra steps to coat all the bolts i removed while doing installs last night with antiseize just because i AM planning to keep it forever

Old 03-28-2014, 08:43 AM
KeyPlayaJim
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I tend to keep my vehicles for 100k miles or more, the longest being a 1990 Ford Probe GT that I sold at 13 years/130,000 miles (and only because parts were becoming very expensive and nearly impossible to find).

So, I'm hoping that Rowan will be around for at least 10 more years, as long as he doesn't become a money pit and I can still get in & out without too much trouble (by then I'll be 70).

Old 03-28-2014, 02:17 PM
komet155
4th Gear
I know this doesnt reflect our Mini's build quality, but I cannot believe the screws my dealership used to attach my license plates are already showing rust after less than a year. I'm going to have to look for stainless steel substitutes.

As for factory bolts, if they are a white matt finish with a slight blue haze on them they're coated against corrosion. All the ones finished that way on my 2001 VW GTi were still clear of rust as of last year when I sold the car (after owning it over 12 years!).

Originally Posted by kyoo
took extra steps to coat all the bolts i removed while doing installs last night with antiseize just because i AM planning to keep it forever

Old 03-05-2015, 07:07 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
one year later bump! still very happy with my mini. i was admittedly very swayed by the '15+ gti, and I still think it's a better overall car, but i'm sticking with the mini!

Old 03-05-2015, 08:52 AM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
one year later bump! still very happy with my mini. i was admittedly very swayed by the '15+ gti, and I still think it's a better overall car, but i'm sticking with the mini!
Funny you should mention GTI - I just had it as a rental last week, and thoroughly enjoyed it: great handling, great acceleration and braking, good ergonomics.

If only VW could fix the exterior and make it look less like an appliance, I would be trading into one.
Alternatively, if I had parking space for (or could only afford) one car, 4-door GTI would make the top of the list!

Who's planning to keep their R56 forever?? I'm definitely planning on it. Not much more I could ask from a daily driver - reliable, good mpg, naturally aspirated, relatively simple layout, and, at least for the base Cooper, dead reliable! Not to mention competitive in its SCCA Solo class...

MINIs aren't gonna get any smaller/lighter from here on out - who's in?
Yeah, sure, I will keep R56 forever, or until another car catches my eye.
Whichever comes first

a

Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
i've actually always liked how the golf gti has looked.. the mk5's front end, the mk6's rear end, overall the mk7..

Old 03-05-2015, 10:02 AM
Friedrice
1st Gear
I don't think I will keep mine more than 6 months. I have dumped a fair bit o change into it as well. New wheels and tires (had gay chrome wheels), timing chain kit, plugs, new coils, fixed turbo oil feed and return lines, fixed oil filter housing gasket, speakers make crappy popping noises when plugged into an ipod, still has a hesitation to it, power seems low now after timing chain replacement. I am just waiting for a burnt valve or the HPFP to **** the bed any gay now. I think a Focus ST or Fiesta ST may be a better car for me.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:45 AM
HorseWithNoName
4th Gear
i've actually always liked how the golf gti has looked.. the mk5's front end, the mk6's rear end, overall the mk7..
I was in Europe a couple of years ago and drove a friends Scirocco GTI on the autobahn and through the alps. It was fun to drive, great handling and a really good looking car IMO. Personally I would have a "R" in our driveway if VW sold it in the U.S., and have no idea what the product planners at VW USA are thinking (or not) by not selling the Scirocco in North America.

On topic:
The reason I purchased our R58 is because I've enjoyed the R56's so much, and will likely keep it for quite a long time but nothing is forever.

Attached Thumbnails Who's Planning to Keep Their 2ND Gen Car Forever?-vw-scirocco-r-10.jpg  

Last edited by HorseWithNoName; 03-05-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:28 PM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
My 2008 is still on board as is my 2012.

Quick Reply: R56 Who's Planning to Keep Their 2ND Gen Car Forever?