R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Who's Planning to Keep Their 2ND Gen Car Forever?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 01:07 PM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
With a 12 year rust warranty that provides a good start towards immortality.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:36 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by mini coop
With a 12 year rust warranty that provides a good start towards immortality.
what exactly does the rust warranty entail?

Old 03-10-2014, 05:39 PM
mini coop
6th Gear
It's a " 12 year unlimited mileage anti corrosion warranty against rust perforation". Corrosion protection is due to " electrophoretic dip painting process ". " Exterior body parts receive an additional corrosion protection coat. Hood trunk, doors and other body parts with metal folds are coated with PVC and sealed from the outside". "All poor panels receive a resilient coating of PVC for maximum protection against damage due to stones, Etc." " Corrosion protection materials tested over many years are applied to the surfaces of the cavities and to the entire underside of the vehicle during and after assembly "............so says the Service & Warranty Information.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:49 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
i guess i mean, if your car's rusted to hell, what are they gonna do? fix it? i guess in 12 years i better have them go over any rust (if any) since that'll be the end of it. i'd say the most damaging rust will be a long slow process that most people will ignore until it's too late

Old 03-11-2014, 07:54 PM
the matey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a 07' MCS for four years, I bought the car used in 2010 and had so much fun driving it from day one. Often I would always find a excuse to go out and drive it, I would even drive it with no destination. MINI's have been my favorite car. Loved my 07' S so much. Every saturday I would wash it, every three months I would detail it. It's amazing how you can make these cars your own and they all look different. I have driven many, many cars including a Lamborghini Gallardo, Ferrari 458, Porsche turbo and lotus Evora, all from my job and I can honestly say the MINI is just as fun to drive.

For awhile now I had this thought in the back of my mind on whether I should sell my car and get the most for it now or keep it for even longer. My 07' S had gone through just about every repair these cars need (most under warranty) and the cars milage was at 76,000. KBB said it was only worth a few $1000. I told myself if I buy another R56 it either had to be a JCW or a GP. Saw the F56 and hated it at first, but like most cars I hated once, I began to like it the more as I saw it. Soon I was planing on buying a S model in a dark color because I think a dark color would hide some of the ugly factors of it.

Last month I went to a friends house and we went out for something to eat, I came back to my 07' S egged by a bunch of meanagers... I wiped it down that night and then drove home and went to bed, I didn't sleep much that night. Woke up the next morning very angry, I couldn't fathom how someone could do that. You literally could hit me in the face and it wouldn't of hurt as much. This car meant so much to me and I took very good care of it. When I washed it that morning, I could see the paint was chipped and swirled where the four eggs hit. You really can't have nice things! I decided after many months of looking at this JCW at work every time I passed by, to finally go in and run the numbers. Everything worked out great and now I'm in a brand new 2013 JCW, my first new car! You could say it was a present to myself for my 21st birthday. This car is a totally different animal and attracts a lot of attention, I'm planing to keep it for many years to come.

07"
Name:  ANTH5397_zps096eb403.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  78.1 KB

New 13'
Name:  1939869_10152591103028362_141698971_o_zpsdd04a73b.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  69.1 KB

Old 03-11-2014, 08:19 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by the matey
I had a 07' MCS for four years, I bought the car used in 2010 and had so much fun driving it from day one. Often I would always find a excuse to go out and drive it, I would even drive it with no destination. MINI's have been my favorite car. Loved my 07' S so much. Every saturday I would wash it, every three months I would detail it. It's amazing how you can make these cars your own and they all look different. I have driven many, many cars including a Lamborghini Gallardo, Ferrari 458, Porsche turbo and lotus Evora, all from my job and I can honestly say the MINI is just as fun to drive.

For awhile now I had this thought in the back of my mind on whether I should sell my car and get the most for it now or keep it for even longer. My 07' S had gone through just about every repair these cars need (most under warranty) and the cars milage was at 76,000. KBB said it was only worth a few $1000. I told myself if I buy another R56 it either had to be a JCW or a GP. Saw the F56 and hated it at first, but like most cars I hated once, I began to like it the more as I saw it. Soon I was planing on buying a S model in a dark color because I think a dark color would hide some of the ugly factors of it.

Last month I went to a friends house and we went out for something to eat, I came back to my 07' S egged by a bunch of meanagers... I wiped it down that night and then drove home and went to bed, I didn't sleep much that night. Woke up the next morning very angry, I couldn't fathom how someone could do that. You literally could hit me in the face and it wouldn't of hurt as much. This car meant so much to me and I took very good care of it. When I washed it that morning, I could see the paint was chipped and swirled where the four eggs hit. You really can't have nice things! I decided after many months of looking at this JCW at work every time I passed by, to finally go in and run the numbers. Everything worked out great and now I'm in a brand new 2013 JCW, my first new car! You could say it was a present to myself for my 21st birthday. This car is a totally different animal and attracts a lot of attention, I'm planing to keep it for many years to come.

07"

New 13'
WOW! That's a very nice JCW.. Nice choice! Enjoy

Old 03-11-2014, 09:12 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
yea that jcw looks mean

Old 03-12-2014, 03:45 AM
mini coop
6th Gear
Sad story about your original Mini. I am glad though that the numbers worked out for you. Enjoy your new Mini and motoring in it.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:32 AM
Car-Fan
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by the matey

07"

New 13'

I feel you 100% on the vandals

I am glad that you have found an excellent car to transition to - a very worthwhile and satisfactory BDay present as well

Old 03-12-2014, 07:38 AM
Thorr
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I just bought Mateys 07 !!!!

Old 03-12-2014, 08:04 AM
vince217
1st Gear
How reliable is the non-s model? I just bought a 2011 with 17k miles (almost at 20k now). Assuming I change oil every 5000k, am I going to experience the problems that other owners have been having for sure?

Thinking of a third party extended warranty.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Spridget
4th Gear
We tend to keep our cars a long time; my MINI was preceded by a '98 GTI that I bought new and drove for nearly 12 years. So plans are to do the same with the MINI, unless it starts eating money. And besides, we recently bought the extended service package, so now I sort of HAVE to keep it. ;-)

FYI, in the 4+ years that I've owned my MCS, it has yet to throw a CEL or display any of the usual symptoms. I had the auxiliary water pump replaced due to the recall, and the turbo oil line heat shield at its last service interval. It's been dead reliable, so (knock on wood), I feel confident that it will go the distance.

Cheers,

Spridget

Old 03-12-2014, 10:00 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by vince217
How reliable is the non-s model? I just bought a 2011 with 17k miles (almost at 20k now). Assuming I change oil every 5000k, am I going to experience the problems that other owners have been having for sure?

Thinking of a third party extended warranty.
i think the non-s is pretty dead reliable. that + u got the '11, which had some updates to it. just take good care of it - probably no need for extended warranty of any sort

Old 03-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Mine is staying too. I tell people it just hit its 1st 100000 miles.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:12 PM
JudyM
Neutral
At age 59, I bought my 2013 Cooper S Bayswater last year to be my retirement vehicle. A few more years and we'll retire together. I work close to home, so the car will get a little over 6000 miles a year, not counting any trips. When I'm no longer around, or when arthritis finally keeps me from using the clutch, I'll leave the car to my son. He was a mechanic before going back to school and had several regular customers with Minis. He told me I'd love driving a Mini, talked me into test driving one, and I never looked back. I haven't had this much fun with a car since my old Triumph GT6.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:49 AM
Minitonka
2nd Gear
I'm keeping mine. I never need the next newest. If were to buy the next gen it will be in a few years. It has been my experience that it takes many manufacturers a while to get it right. It takes the assemblers to embrace new models. The first Volvo XC90s had a multi piece cargo floor that was far from flat. In a few years they accomplished a perfectly flat floor while hiding a 3rd row. Some of the best quality can be had at the end of a model run. The engineers get it right. I'm not sure I want a larger MCS. If it's not the same agile creature I'm not so interested.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:16 AM
Mini-b10
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I will but who knows. I would like to keep stuff but then sometimes something hits me and I have a new car or bike. The longest I have held on to something is my 2006 Harley bought new in July 2005 still to this day.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:14 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will probably keep mine quite a while, at least as a second car. My CRX is still an unfinished refurbishment project and the AC just broke again.

But the main reason is I have what looks like hail damage (these acorn things falling where I had to park at work), and the inside has been lived in by a baby turned toddler for three years.

I want to get something bigger (possibly countryman but I want the bav tech tool to
be able to work on it and they have not updated) but not big. I would like to sit up high again like the Suzuki SX4 I had for a while.

But being a single daddy I have to have two cars that will start even if one is
not so good off cosmetically.

Not to mention it was a ton of work putting in a DVD player, alpine amp, and subwoofer. I wonder if I'll ever have the time to do that again lol

Old 03-17-2014, 03:47 PM
byron h
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
i think the non-s is pretty dead reliable. that + u got the '11, which had some updates to it. just take good care of it - probably no need for extended warranty of any sort

I totally agree. I really like to see threads like this that point out the good MINI experiences. So many of the failures are avoidable by checking the oil and coolant levels on a regular basis. The MINI's (especially the S models) use oil and coolant at a much faster rate than many new cars. The OEM dipstick is difficult to read, the operation based oil change interval is extremely long (15,000 miles for my Justa), and some dealers don't stress the need to check the fluid levels. Also the transmission oil and coolant are stated to be good for the life of the car. Most of the owners that have long trouble free mileage check their fluid levels on a regular basis. They also change their engine oil, transmission oil, and coolant at shorter than recommended intervals.

'Morris' 2011 MC, PW/B 28,000 trouble free miles

Old 03-17-2014, 03:56 PM
komet155
4th Gear
I had a 2001 GTi 1.8t and got 12.5 years out of it before selling it for good money to a 20-something "yout" who was impressed by how much fun it was to drive.

I hope to keep my Mini around the same amount of time......if all goes well.

Originally Posted by Spridget
We tend to keep our cars a long time; my MINI was preceded by a '98 GTI that I bought new and drove for nearly 12 years.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:58 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by byron h
I totally agree. I really like to see threads like this that point out the good MINI experiences. So many of the failures are avoidable by checking the oil and coolant levels on a regular basis. The MINI's (especially the S models) use oil and coolant at a much faster rate than many new cars. The OEM dipstick is difficult to read, the operation based oil change interval is extremely long (15,000 miles for my Justa), and some dealers don't stress the need to check the fluid levels. Also the transmission oil and coolant are stated to be good for the life of the car. Most of the owners that have long trouble free mileage check their fluid levels on a regular basis. They also change their engine oil, transmission oil, and coolant at shorter than recommended intervals. 'Morris' 2011 MC, PW/B 28,000 trouble free miles
I disagree with you. The turbo MINIs are a hell hole. You can say keep checking fluids which I do, when my thermostat needed to be replaced, fuel pump needed replacement, valve cover needed replacement, solenoid valve needed replacement, and the lovely recall for the timing tensioner needed replacement. Mind you I have a '11 MCS(N18 engine). I've checked my oil countless times and coolant of course. I do 5k mile oil changes(car burns a full quart every 5k miles) and I did the brake fluid and coolant flush like I normally do 2-3 years. So, my point is that the turbo models aren't that reliable. I would say the base Coopers are very reliable since I used to have one and engine wasn't an issue.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:44 PM
honda93
3rd Gear
I'd love to keep mine "forever"...

Old 03-17-2014, 04:59 PM
got-m1ni
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
I disagree with you. The turbo MINIs are a hell hole. You can say keep checking fluids which I do, when my thermostat needed to be replaced, fuel pump needed replacement, valve cover needed replacement, solenoid valve needed replacement, and the lovely recall for the timing tensioner needed replacement. Mind you I have a '11 MCS(N18 engine). I've checked my oil countless times and coolant of course. I do 5k mile oil changes(car burns a full quart every 5k miles) and I did the brake fluid and coolant flush like I normally do 2-3 years. So, my point is that the turbo models aren't that reliable. I would say the base Coopers are very reliable since I used to have one and engine wasn't an issue.
How many miles do you have on your MCS? Just wondering.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:09 PM
phoxx47
2nd Gear
I'm keeping mine forever, last week. Today I noticed some tempting new cars! Tomorrow when I get back home and pick my MINI up at the airport... I'll be keeping it forever. Likely, later in the week, some new ride will come into view... and I'll start to search and research and then soon I'll be keeping my MINI again.
Am beginning to believe I have an issue with commitment??? Perhaps I should call my ex-wife...

Old 03-18-2014, 06:37 AM
13Hardtop_S
1st Gear
18 days as an MCS owner. Still in the "honeymoon". Here is my list of things about the car I am unhappy with:
. ummmmm ... OK. Here's the list ......
hmmmmm
OK. I wouldn't change a thing. And yes, I believe I will have myself buried in mine. I like it just that much!

Quick Reply: R56 Who's Planning to Keep Their 2ND Gen Car Forever?