R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MINIUSA can't even get my name right...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 07:34 PM
TAS63
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINIUSA can't even get my name right...

Hello all, I can't believe I'm posting this but I really am at my wits end. I bought my wife the MINI in my sig as a surprise birthday present and starting at 10K miles we have had nothing but problems with this car.
As I have previously posted, the CBS reported that our MINI needed front brake pads. Nope, no pads needed and as the miles clicked by over time, we found that the CBS system errantly reported front pads were in need of replacement again and again. We were told that MINI was working on a re-flash to address the problem. In the meantime, we had oil leaks, water pump leak, noisy A/C compressor, check engine light illuminations due to t/stat, H/P fuel pump, VANOS, etc. But, the most recurring, and yet to be fixed problems, are the engine squeal and CBS.. At this point the dealer has installed three water pumps to address the squeal noise and installed the re-flash. The squeal noise is not present when we first pick up the car but after a short time the noise returns. I'm scared that the water pump bearing will seize leaving my better half stranded with an overheating engine. As for the CBS system, so far it hasn't even alerted to change the engine oil. It appears the re-flash has stopped alerting for everything, including the brake pads. The VANOS issue is still pending...
So, I contacted MINIUSA and expressed my concerns. The phone rep asked what my desire was and I stated that due to the issues not being resolved, I felt MINI should buy the car back. The rep asked if I would consider staying with "the brand" and I said, "no way". Through emails I was forwarded to "Melissa P." from MINIUSA who, by email, stated she would address our request. After about a month, Melissa sent me an email addressed to "Brown-TY11789". My name is not Brown and the car is not brown. The email contained an offer of $3000 off a new MINI. Really? I was clear since the beginning of this request that I was not going to stay with the brand. In comparison, the GM/Ford/Nissan new vehicles we have purchased over the years have never had these types of issues.
At this point, I am considering hiring an attorney to make MINIUSA take responsibility for this through the legal system. Do I want to take that step? No, I would rather work with MINIUSA to resolve the situation.
Too bad that something that started out as a positive, loving gesture is ending this way...

Old 01-22-2014, 08:10 PM
bjcarter2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, sorry to hear about what you're going through.

What about working with the Better Business Bureau in your area? Or the State Attorney Generals office? If you're not getting anywhere, perhaps they can intervene and/or arbitrate.

Maybe CA has a lemon law as some states do. You know, three strikes and they have to replace or buy the car back?

http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon

The Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act (beginning with Civil Code section 1790) provides protection for consumers who lease or buy new motor vehicles. The law requires that if the manufacturer or its representative in this state, such as an authorized dealer, is unable to service or repair a new motor vehicle to meet the terms of an express written warranty after a reasonable number of repair attempts, the manufacturer is required promptly to replace the vehicle or return the purchase price to the lessee or buyer.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:44 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by bjcarter2
Wow, sorry to hear about what you're going through.

What about working with the Better Business Bureau in your area? Or the State Attorney Generals office? If you're not getting anywhere, perhaps they can intervene and/or arbitrate.

Maybe CA has a lemon law as some states do. You know, three strikes and they have to replace or buy the car back?

http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon

The Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act (beginning with Civil Code section 1790) provides protection for consumers who lease or buy new motor vehicles. The law requires that if the manufacturer or its representative in this state, such as an authorized dealer, is unable to service or repair a new motor vehicle to meet the terms of an express written warranty after a reasonable number of repair attempts, the manufacturer is required promptly to replace the vehicle or return the purchase price to the lessee or buyer.
Yup! Hire an attorney to get this take care of. William McGee took my case on my 335i when my HPFP went out 3 times and BMWUSA would not buyback my coupe. With his help, it was settled in less than 2 weeks and I was on my way to, well, my MINI to this day. Everything was done over email so you don't even have to be in San Diego to get this settled.

http://www.californialemonlawattorneys.com/

Old 01-22-2014, 09:48 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
First sorry to hear of your troubles.

You shouldn't be forced into buying another Mini if you don't want to, it's unbelieveable that you went through three water pumps and all the repeat problems you have had and with very low mileage! That email you received regarding the $3000 off your next Mini purchase is a slap in your face!

I agree with hiring an attorney and making complaints to the Better Business Bureau, call CBS News and make a stink about how Mini is treating you. It seems lately the only way for Mini USA to take you seriously is lawsuits.

Why do you think Mini USA is taking care of those timing chain failures, because there are multiple lawsuits (here) in multiple states here in the US. The UK is still in that process, the only way for Mini to take responsibility is to file a lawsuit. Mini can't ignore a lawsuit!

Old 01-23-2014, 06:23 PM
TAS63
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
Yup! Hire an attorney to get this take care of. William McGee took my case on my 335i when my HPFP went out 3 times and BMWUSA would not buyback my coupe. With his help, it was settled in less than 2 weeks and I was on my way to, well, my MINI to this day. Everything was done over email so you don't even have to be in San Diego to get this settled.

http://www.californialemonlawattorneys.com/

I have tried to get MINIUSA to return my calls, sent multiple emails requesting dialogue, and contacted MINI customer service multiple times in an attempt to avoid retaining an attorney. It seems clear at this point that I have no recourse but to seek legal assistance. CA has a strong lemon-law and as I've found on my internet searches an attorney is not required. However, I am not willing to risk missing some sort of "step" in the process...