R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 Thermostat Housing replacement covered under emisions warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 07:38 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R56 Thermostat Housing replacement covered under emisions warranty

Your milage may vary, but after buying the housing (a couple of months ago) and not getting around to getting it installed yet (I've been watching the coolant level like a hawk), I did a read of posts here earlier this month and someone had reported their replacement was covered under the emissions warranty (something like 7 years and 70K miles I think).

So I was at the dealer Saturday getting my $25 gift card to entice me to come in so they could try to sell me a new Mini -- they didn't even pitch me, I walked freely around for 20+ minutes looking at various cars and not nary a sales person came up to me -- so I walked in and asked about the promo and they just had me fill out name, address, phone, and gave me the gift card.

On my way out, I stopped by the service area and mentioned I heard the thermostat might be an emmissions warranty repair. They asked my milage (54K), looked up my vehicle in their system, and said "yep, it's a warranty repair, when do you want to come in?". So the appt will be end of next week.

Bottom line, check with your dealer...

P.S. Anyone want to buy an unused part? I'll make you a good deal
P.S.S. I had errands to do at a store 1/2 mile from the dealer, so going there was no big deal. Looking at the cars made me once again realize I like my Mini -- more than anything I saw except the GP JCW, but that was a 40K sticker that I certainly don't see in the cards.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:54 PM
RAS_Houston
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First post for me and signed up just to comment, lol. I was at the dealer on Friday to pick up a R56 Thermostat Housing. Parts guy told me to check with service to make sure they wouldnt cover it, sooooo... i walk over to service, gave them my key so they could pull up all my info. They asked me how many miles I had on it and i stated "54700" and they said it wasnt covered. I would be seriously upset if I just spent a afternoon replacing it and paying for the part myself to find out its covered. Can you just confirm? Please lol. Before I go raise Holy Hell with my dealer, lol.

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Sidewalksam
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RAS_Houston
First post for me and signed up just to comment, lol. I was at the dealer on Friday to pick up a R56 Thermostat Housing. Parts guy told me to check with service to make sure they wouldnt cover it, sooooo... i walk over to service, gave them my key so they could pull up all my info. They asked me how many miles I had on it and i stated "54700" and they said it wasnt covered. I would be seriously upset if I just spent a afternoon replacing it and paying for the part myself to find out its covered. Can you just confirm? Please lol. Before I go raise Holy Hell with my dealer, lol.

Thanks!
Emissions waranty is 8years/80K. As I recall this is Federal law and applies to all car make and models.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:05 PM
RAS_Houston
Neutral
Originally Posted by Sidewalksam
Emissions waranty is 8years/80K. As I recall this is Federal law and applies to all car make and models.

Understood. Im just wondering if indeed the Thermostat Housing is covered in the emissions warranty. I have one dealership telling me no, and he's stating its covered. All is good! Should be a pretty interesting morning phone call or visit

Old 07-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Sidewalksam
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RAS_Houston
Understood. Im just wondering if indeed the Thermostat Housing is covered in the emissions warranty. I have one dealership telling me no, and he's stating its covered. All is good! Should be a pretty interesting morning phone call or visit
Well if you think about it, the temperature regulation of your engine is going to have an effect on combustion and thus the ability of emission equipment to clean up the exhaust gas. Temperature is going to tell the computer how it needs to run and if it perpetually say I'm cold or i'm hot it will respond and effect emission.

this is just my speculation but I bet this is why its covered.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:26 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My thermostat housing went out at 58K and the dealer would not cover its replacement under any Mini service bulletin, warranty, etc.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:01 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be following this to see where it goes.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:12 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
this says emissions is only covered 5yr, 50k by federal law:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2007/...1259/warranty/

Maybe its changed? Some states might have different rules. Cali is notorious for that.

This says 8yr/ 80k, but only for CC, ECU...
Also, you have to fail an emissions test first and that part has to be proved to be the cause of failing the test.

http://www.epa.gov/obd/pubs/420f09048.pdf

Think the OP just got lucky.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:32 AM
Sidewalksam
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4
this says emissions is only covered 5yr, 50k by federal law:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2007/...1259/warranty/

Maybe its changed? Some states might have different rules. Cali is notorious for that.

This says 8yr/ 80k, but only for CC, ECU...
Also, you have to fail an emissions test first and that part has to be proved to be the cause of failing the test.

http://www.epa.gov/obd/pubs/420f09048.pdf

Think the OP just got lucky.
Not all true if the part causes the failure of your engine then the full repair is covered by the 8/80. The Mr2 spyder has a ceramic CAT in the exhaust header known as a precat. In early models these would fail break down and get sucked into the engine via back pressure. repair is new short block header in main cat due to its clogging. All parts and labor fully covered. So it is not juts emission failure that is covered.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:04 AM
RAS_Houston
Neutral
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4
I'll be following this to see where it goes.
Ok, I just called two separate mini dealers and spoke with service. Both said the exact same thing, it was NOT covered under the emissions warranty. The first one I acted as just a customer and told them the issue and code and said it wasn't covered. The second one I asked to speak with the service manager and told him exactly what was going on and asked I e could clear up the confusion wether it would be covered or not. He basically said it may have been a mistake or the dealership that replaced it was either being nice due to issues in the past or just flat out made a mistake. Anywho, that's what I found out and thought I would pass this along. Kudos for those of you that got it replaced under warranty, it's not fun and kinda a pain to replace.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:17 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
My appointment is this Wednesday. It's either going to be warranty when I sign the estimate, or I will be leaving with the car.

54.7K miles.

I'll post back Wed evening.

I still have the part available for sale for a "good" price

Old 07-09-2013, 01:57 AM
SoundMessage
3rd Gear
Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 AM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Car dropped off at dealer this morning. Work order is warranty.
Customer Concern:
CUSTOMER STATES THERMOSTAT HOUSING LEAK. EMMISONS WARRANTY
Method of Payment:
WARRANTY
Original Estimate: $0
The leak was actually found and reported to me at my first oil change after the 4 year 50K mileage warranty ended. Go figure.

Last edited by aafflyer; 08-24-2013 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Removed part I bought for sale as in is now sold :)
Old 08-21-2013, 11:27 AM
hawkeye62
Neutral
Just checked with dealer in CA. Was told the housing is covered under emissions warranty in CA for 2008 and later models. Sad to write, mine's a 2007. Why not '07 and earlier? One of those things in life.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:46 PM
hawkeye62
Neutral
Reason 2007 not covered

In CA the 2007 thermostat housing is not covered under the emissions warranty because the part as designed did not affect emissions; in 2008 the sensor was re-designed to be integrated into the housing part and therefore a defective housing part directly affects emissions. So, all 2008 and after housings are covered under the emissions warranty.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:58 PM
flammeart
1st Gear
Federal reg states:
* If your 1981 or later model year car or light truck just failed
an approved emissions tests; and
* Your State or local government requires that you repair the car;
and
* The test failure did not result from misuse of the vehicle or a
failure to follow the manufacturer’s written maintenance
instructions; and
* You present the vehicle to a warranty-authorized manufacturer
representative, along with evidence of the emissions test
failure, during the relevant warranty period."

Mine didn't fail, we don't emissions tests in Memphis! So gotta pay for the thermostat myself.

Anyone know where to get the parts? My dealership states 3-4 WEEKS!!!
She was leaking radiator fluid a week and a half ago so brought her in. Can't drive until fixed
Any suggestions where to locate part?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:21 PM
hawkeye62
Neutral
My understanding the part is on back order across the United States, so you'll have to wait. According to my dealer, this part has failed in hundreds of MCs and with such frequency they can't keep the part in current supply. Some owners have been without the use of their cars for over a month...waiting for one simple thermostat housing.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:54 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by hawkeye62
My understanding the part is on back order across the United States, so you'll have to wait. According to my dealer, this part has failed in hundreds of MCs and with such frequency they can't keep the part in current supply. Some owners have been without the use of their cars for over a month...waiting for one simple thermostat housing.
holy crap that sucks... Might want to order one now, just in case...

Old 09-05-2013, 08:28 AM
LakeWylieMini
Neutral
Originally Posted by hawkeye62
I was told there are over 15,000 on back order nationwide with no indication of when they are coming in.
I heard there is a dealership in SC that is bringing engines over just for the thermostat housing so they can get the Minis out of their service bays.
It's a big problem!

Old 09-06-2013, 04:59 AM
sving
1st Gear
I've got a cracked thermostat housing, too. Coolant comes out at a steady stream whenever the pump is running. My shop is calling anyone they can think of, including dealerships in several states. Nobody knows when they'll be available, it could be weeks. (!) BavAuto and ECS are of course out, too.

Also, thanks to the discussion above, I'll be calling my dealer today to see whether it is covered in the emissions warranty in my state (although I'd pay cash just to get a part right now). My state requires annual inspections, so I'm hopeful.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:49 AM
sving
1st Gear
I just talked to my local dealer and they say the thermostat housing falls under the 4yr/50k standard warranty, not emissions warranty.

They also said they have many people with cars down, waiting for these parts to come in. They mentioned 16,000 are on backorder.

(2008 MCS, in North Carolina)

Old 09-06-2013, 07:57 AM
Matt Drown
Neutral
I'll add that my 2009 JCW with 37k miles is down with a leaking thermostat housing. In the actual warranty booklet in the car it states that "THERMOSTAT AND HOUSING" is covered under the california emissions standard, the back of the booklet. It may not be covered under states that don't follow the california standard.

However, the first discussion I had with mini deal (Steven's Creek Mini in Santa Clara, CA) they told me that it would only be covered if electronics went bad, if it was leaking then it wouldn't be covered by the emissions warranty.

They currently have around 24 cars awaiting the housing from my brief discussion. They are stating (but not guaranteeing) another two weeks before the part comes in.

I've been told that I also have a leak in the waterpump and it probably occurred when the car overheated due to the thermostat housing leaking. Total estimate is around $1700 (900 for waterpump, 800 for thermostat).

Not particularly fond of MINI right now.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:41 AM
flammeart
1st Gear
Can anyone say "recall"?!?!
If this is such a systemic issue?

Old 09-06-2013, 11:47 AM
sving
1st Gear
This thread really shouldn't be about the thermostat housing shortage, so I'm moving my comments over to another thread:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...housing-7.html

Old 09-06-2013, 06:43 PM
ocluck
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Matt Drown
I'll add that my 2009 JCW with 37k miles is down with a leaking thermostat housing. In the actual warranty booklet in the car it states that "THERMOSTAT AND HOUSING" is covered under the california emissions standard, the back of the booklet. It may not be covered under states that don't follow the california standard.

However, the first discussion I had with mini deal (Steven's Creek Mini in Santa Clara, CA) they told me that it would only be covered if electronics went bad, if it was leaking then it wouldn't be covered by the emissions warranty.

They currently have around 24 cars awaiting the housing from my brief discussion. They are stating (but not guaranteeing) another two weeks before the part comes in.

I've been told that I also have a leak in the waterpump and it probably occurred when the car overheated due to the thermostat housing leaking. Total estimate is around $1700 (900 for waterpump, 800 for thermostat).

Not particularly fond of MINI right now.
BS on the electronics excuse to weasel their way out of a legit warranty covered and stated in the warranty booklet. Point to them the warranty booklet. No where does it states that the electronics has to fail. And if they still say that BS, try another dealer or call MINI USA.

Quick Reply: R56 R56 Thermostat Housing replacement covered under emisions warranty