R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 iPod interface?

Old 11-17-2011, 02:23 PM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod interface?

Ok, I hope this is in the right section. I called my local MINI dealership and also a local sound shop, and they told me this was impossible??

http://www.shopminiusa.com/PRODUCT/4...IPOD-INTERFACE

According to that description, this should work in my 2007 MINI Cooper S, right? I only have a single CD changer, not multi. I don't have MINI Connected, I don't think that's required...? I do have an AUX port but no USB slot. Has anyone ordered this or installed this in their MINI? I'm confused as to why they say it's impossible. Oh, I also have Bluetooth and steering wheel controls, don't know if that's worth mentioning.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That site will sure let you order it with your specifications, but that doesn't mean much.

You will find many experts in the Navigation and Audio forum https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-and-audio-14/. Someone may know the answer there.

I'll be watching to see what you come up with. Good luck.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:51 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have requested that this be moved to the NAV and Audio section.

But to answer your question. It may not be possible on your car depending on the build date in 2007. Early 07 model year cars have some limitations as to if that in fact can be added. the only way to know is to run a VIN number check to see if the radio system is able to handle that option.

What you can do is to call another dealer with your VIN and ask them if that particular item (give them the part number) can be installed. If they say no then you are out of luck if they say yes then check with another dealer and see what they say.

Also dealers sometimes tell you NO when in fact it can be done but they just dont want to be bothered for price reasons.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:28 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yep, that kit will work with your car! It is possible to install it yourself and save some money, but it does take some skill. Here are install instructions.

http://www.outmotoring.com/images/how_to/MIN_R56_iPod_wo_cd_changer.PDF

It does need to be activated by a dealer.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:58 PM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
Thanks for moving this, I didn't realize until after I posted that it should've been in that section :(

That's good advice, schatzy62, I'll have to try that. I think that Utah only has one MINI dealership but I will try to call perhaps one in Vegas or Colorado and ask them. You'd think they'd be willing to do it if I was willing to pay. But of course if it was outrageously priced then that's another story. I can't imagine it would be too difficult though. Where is the part number on that page?

strobeyprobey, thanks for the instructions! I'm not sure if I trust myself to fumble through it lol. I'll try the dealership first, then we'll see how desperate I become ha.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:53 PM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
Called Desert MINI and after I gave him my VIN, he gave me the part number and told me the cost of the part plus installation. I wonder why it is my local dealership told me it was impossible? Guess I'll have to call back. Thanks for your help everyone