R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Yellow Warning Triangle - What Does It Mean?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Nightfire
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellow Warning Triangle - What Does It Mean?

Just got the car home yesterday. 2007 MC Hardtop with 32k on the clock. During the ride home I notice there is a yellow warning triangle lit up on the display. I took this photo and sent it back to the dealer to ask what it was (I'm a Corvette guy, I still know very little about MINIs - it's my daughter's Xmas present).

The dealer says, "it's just a general warning. It could be saying that it's cold outside or that your seat belt isn't on. If it becomes a bigger sign, then it's a major issue..."

The owners manual says it means, "The engine will start the next time the start/stop button is touched, possibly without the brake or clutch being depressed." - what the heck does that mean...

Now I'm asking the real experts (see attached)...what does this yellow warning triangle really mean?

Thanks in advance !

Attached Thumbnails Yellow Warning Triangle - What Does It Mean?-triangle.jpg  
Old 12-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Nightfire
Neutral
Ok, did a little more forum searching and found what I think is the answer. The triangle is telling me that there is something "wrong" with the MINI and I need to check it out. I noticed that when I started the car, there was a larger icon displaying where the speed, temp, etc is normally displayed. The icon is an "!" inside a light bulb. Manual says that this means I have an exterior lighting issue - I check and all the lights are functional. Can this warning triangle be reset?

Thanks again.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:31 AM
amberback
5th Gear
have you checked in the owner's manual for reset instructions? you can download it from the Owner's Lounge.

or maybe a light is off that you don't notice (maybe an unusual one)?

The triangle will come on whenever there is any type of warning everything from low gas and cold weather to the check engine light being on.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Tmini08
5th Gear
I had the same problem recently. In my case all lights were working, so I took it to the dealer and they found a connection was loose and fixed it. Your car should still be inside its warranty, so it can be taken care of free of charge at the dealership.

Last edited by Tmini08; 12-20-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Whats the outside temp?

turn off the car and when you start it pay attention itll tell you the warning.

If you have the gas light on it will display this also.

But if its a light icon, you have a light out. have a buddy verify all lights and signals.

Originally Posted by Nightfire
Ok, did a little more forum searching and found what I think is the answer. The triangle is telling me that there is something "wrong" with the MINI and I need to check it out. I noticed that when I started the car, there was a larger icon displaying where the speed, temp, etc is normally displayed. The icon is an "!" inside a light bulb. Manual says that this means I have an exterior lighting issue - I check and all the lights are functional. Can this warning triangle be reset?

Thanks again.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:05 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

(I'm a Corvette guy, I still know very little about MINIs - it's my daughter's Xmas present).
!

1st of all - You are spoiling that girl rotten!

Wait untill the snowflake symbol pops up with the chime - freaks me out everytime.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:15 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The Little Triangle as shown in the OP's picture jsut means that there is a "Warning" of some sort.

Viewing the Tack display when starting the car will give you the indication of what it is but if there is more than one Warning only the first one shows. So if it shows a ! inside of a light and that is fixed next time the car starts the Little triangle may still show for some other reason such as brakes. But at the point the Tach display should change to the next Warning.

As for the OP's saying all the lights are good may be correct but the light check function does not it that way. Reasons for this could be that LED's wer installed and the computer does not recognize the LED as a Bulb and shows a bulb out warning light. This is because the resistance of the LED bulb and a standard bulb are different.

So to the OP check all your bulbs to see if one or more exterior light may be a LED version. If so there is a way to change that but it take some expensive test equipment and programing knowledge to do so.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
I had the same light issue, and it was my tag lights. Last place I ever thought to look. Speaking of those pesky lights, one is always off until I open the boot lid, where it comes back on. Very random.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Nightfire
Neutral
See attached...I think this is the issue. Drivers side tail light is partially out. What's this gonna cost me

Attached Thumbnails Yellow Warning Triangle - What Does It Mean?-lightout.jpg  
Old 12-20-2010, 03:32 PM
squonk
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My first thought is that its just a blown bulb. I'd start with something simple like that.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
See attached...I think this is the issue. Drivers side tail light is partially out. What's this gonna cost me
They replaced mine for free at the dealership because I was still under warranty. You might get lucky especially since your car is still under warranty.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:16 AM
10Zero
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Look in your owners manual at around page 105...pop open the side cover inside the boot area and change the bulb. Pair of bulbs shouldn't cost you more than about 5 or 6 bucks tops.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:48 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you want to see the actual warning, then press the BC button on the stalk until it says SET/INFO. Press and hold until the display changes to CHECK INFO. Then press and hold again until you see CHECK INFO go away. Then on that screen you will see the first actual message. You can press the BC button repeatedly to cycle through all of the possible warnings.

To get the ACTUAL error code, when you are on the error you are interested in, press and hold the BC button for something like 30 to 45 seconds. In the bottom window a CC-ID number will appear.

I have a cross reference for those numbers that I got from the TIS.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:49 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
For the bulb out issue, yes, the left taillight bulb is out. Very easy to change, ten minutes tops. Once the bulb is replaced the warning will go away on its own.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:57 AM
amberback
5th Gear
You said it was an 07 with 32k miles? Possibly Nothing, because it should still be under warranty. (4 yr 50k miles, right?)

Old 12-22-2010, 06:04 AM
Medevack1
2nd Gear
yesterday mine showed a triangle with a snow flake in the middle WTH is that for? lol

Old 12-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
That icon states it is cold out side so be careful. No one reads their manual anymore!?

Originally Posted by Medevack1
yesterday mine showed a triangle with a snow flake in the middle WTH is that for? lol

Old 12-22-2010, 07:04 AM
Medevack1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
That icon states it is cold out side so be careful. No one reads their manual anymore!?
lol i know my bad..... but thanks for the response.....

Old 12-22-2010, 07:10 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Not aiming that directly towards you, just a general statement. I usually read the manuals the night i get the automobile. Decreases "unknowings" down the road and describes hidden secrets

Originally Posted by Medevack1
lol i know my bad..... but thanks for the response.....

Old 12-22-2010, 07:48 AM
wrx_xb9r
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not aiming that directly towards you, just a general statement. I usually read the manuals the night i get the automobile. Decreases "unknowings" down the road and describes hidden secrets
I do exactly the same thing. Usually takes about 3 hours. But then all these little questions are answered somewhere in the back of your head when they happen.

The Yellow snowflake always gets me. Right now it is as I back out of the driveway from the garage. In the evenings as everything is cooling off it goes off several times as I drive around cold in valleys warmer on hills.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:37 AM
supereek
1st Gear
Hi Tmini08,

My clubman got this intermittent bulb out warning and I am out of warranty now. May I ask which connection was loose?
Thanks,

Originally Posted by Tmini08
I had the same problem recently. In my case all lights were working, so I took it to the dealer and they found a connection was loose and fixed it. Your car should still be inside its warranty, so it can be taken care of free of charge at the dealership.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:44 AM
phinzup
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrx_xb9r

The Yellow snowflake always gets me. Right now it is as I back out of the driveway from the garage. In the evenings as everything is cooling off it goes off several times as I drive around cold in valleys warmer on hills.
I get a lot of those "No Crap" moments when I'm wearing gloves, a coat and a toque and the warning goes off. You think? I'm dressed for the Arctic. I know it's cold.

What I want is one that shows flip flops when it hits 80*.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
It's A Trap!!!!

Old 01-05-2011, 06:11 PM
dorkdog
1st Gear

LOL My Z3 and Clubman manuals live on top of the trashcan in our first floor half bath...

Old 01-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Tmini08
5th Gear
Originally Posted by supereek
Hi Tmini08,

My clubman got this intermittent bulb out warning and I am out of warranty now. May I ask which connection was loose?
Thanks,
Sorry for the delayed reponse, I sent you a PM.

Quick Reply: R56 Yellow Warning Triangle - What Does It Mean?