R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 In the mail today, Extended Warranty for HPFP

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:11 PM
pxtech
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just received this letter as well in the mail, although I haven't had any problems with the fuel pump (knock on wood)

Old 08-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Just got my letter today, makes me feel better...

Old 08-14-2010, 07:21 AM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is great.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:46 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure a 2010 made in 2009 will be covered.

I recieved my letter today and I hope I never need to get it fixed. So far I have had no problems with anything at all in 14,000 plus miles.

I'm pretty sure you people that have 2010 models will be covered if you have a problem. They already know that there are some defective pumps but can't pinpoint just what cars have them.

My guess is that a few different suppliers manufacture that same part for them and they all look the exact same. The parts on demand in the factorys cause a few problems when something goes wrong.

At least BMW is better then GM was with the deadly column lock problems on the C5 Corvettes.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:58 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an sept 08 build 09, but still on my oem hpfp at 13k, will I still get a letter? nothing as of yesterday.

Now BMW needs to consider the same for those of us who've had to deal with the timing chain tensioner and valve train system.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:04 PM
OaklandMini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Jim Swade
I got mine today also, but I've never had any problems with the car yet.
same here and same here.
No problems...although I probably just jinxed it by saying that!

Old 08-15-2010, 03:02 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
I have an sept 08 build 09, but still on my oem hpfp at 13k, will I still get a letter?
"MINI USA has become aware of a potential problem that could affect the durability of the high-pressure fuel pumps in select 2007,2008, and 2009 model year MINI vehicles equipped with the N14 turbocharged engines."

I don't know the answer. If you are the original owner (I believe you are) and your mailing address has not changed, I would give it another week and see if your letter arrives. If you don't receive the letter, I would print out the letter at the beginning of this post and go see your service adviser. Ask them what the situation is. As long as your HPFP is ok, there is not any urgency, you just want the warranty situation resolved in the event of a problem.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
this 2007 owner hasn't seen a letter

and wonders why this problem gets addressed

while the equally wide problem of the fan controller

on GEN1's fan assemblies gets nothing .... read around here

mine was replaced every 30,000 miles.....

where's our fix?

OR

what do we need to lift our problem to the alter?

Old 08-15-2010, 05:18 PM
oldMGguy
2nd Gear
I received the letter for both of my '07 MCS. Now if they would just do the same for the vacuum pump and timing chain systems ...

Do you get the feeling this engine was not ready for prime time?

Old 08-15-2010, 05:32 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
I read the letter posted. Unfortunately my "justa" is not covered.....I was hoping it was considering my 1st HPFP blew at 8500 miles....

Old 08-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Chris G
3rd Gear
I sure hope mine shows up soon

So far, so good on my 07 though...

Old 08-15-2010, 07:44 PM
SD4US
1st Gear
Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin
I read the letter posted. Unfortunately my "justa" is not covered.....I was hoping it was considering my 1st HPFP blew at 8500 miles....
Sorry, toolazyforalogin, but "justa" coopers DO NOT have HPFP-s, only turbocharged MCS-s do, hence it wouldn't make much sense to cover "justa"-s against this particular failure...

Now, how did you manage to blow one up at 8500 miles in a car that doesn't even have one??? Or were you just carrying one around on the passenger's seat when it all happened?

It must have been the regular fuel pump, which is also a shame to fail, but at least it's unlikely that it will fail again and again every few thousand miles, like HPFP-s do...

Old 08-15-2010, 07:48 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SD4US
Sorry, toolazyforalogin, but "justa" coopers DO NOT have HPFP-s, only turbocharged MCS-s do, hence it wouldn't make much sense to cover "justa"-s against this particular failure...

Now, how did you manage to blow one up at 8500 miles in a car that doesn't even have one??? Or were you just carrying one around on the passenger's seat when it all happened?

It must have been the regular fuel pump, which is also a shame to fail, but at least it's unlikely that it will fail again and again every few thousand miles, like HPFP-s do...
You are correct. I went through my paperwork and it was a faulty water pump. I guess I don't have to worry about topping off my gas either then.....that's good to know.

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:06 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
This won't be much of a consolation to those of you who have had problems with their HPFP, but anecdotally, it seems to be a MUCH smaller problem on MINI's than on the BMW twin turbos (335, 135, etc.) VW and Audi 2.0T engines also have similar issues. My guess is they all use the same German supplier, possibly Bosch or the like, and there was either a questionable design, or bad batches of fuel pumps. I think the HPFPs tend to go hand in hand with the new generation of lowpressure turbo engines and hopefully we'll all survive the teething period. I have had two R56's with no problems, and do not know a single person in either of my local MINI clubs that have, so it's not like every one fails. YMMV. I do think MINI/BMW is being proactive offering the extension rather than either denying the problem exists, or dealing with each one on an individual basis.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:25 PM
japtor
2nd Gear
Are there any particular warning signs or does it just fail all of a sudden and go into limp mode?

Old 08-17-2010, 05:17 PM
mini on
4th Gear
good question

Old 08-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Augie05
4th Gear
Originally Posted by japtor
Are there any particular warning signs or does it just fail all of a sudden and go into limp mode?
Would like to know as well.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:21 PM
SD4US
1st Gear
HPFP failure early symptoms

Originally Posted by japtor
According to my research, it rarely (I wish I could say never, but can't, sorry...) fails all of a sudden. Most of the time the first/early signs are hard cold (like in the morning, after sitting overnight) starts (not to be confused with the dreaded cold start death rattle - there is only an unusually long cranking time here) followed by not wanting to stay running and possible stalling. Sometimes it takes several attempts to start the car. While it's still cold, the car continues to sputter. Even warmed up it may no longer have full power available because of the decrease in fuel pressure, however under normal driving conditions you may not notice this at all, and the car may seem totally problem-free for the rest of the day (fuel pressure may be as low as 3MPa as opposed to the rated 5MPa). Problems may or may not trigger a check engine light.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:44 PM
anodyne
1st Gear
I have a 2010 MCS that I ordered October and took delivery in December. I got the letter last week sometime saying my car was part of the extended warranty.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:14 PM
sekhmet101
5th Gear
Originally Posted by anodyne
I have a 2010 MCS that I ordered October and took delivery in December. I got the letter last week sometime saying my car was part of the extended warranty.

Really? That's interesting. The way the letter is described, its for 07-09. This might give me some hope. I'll keep looking in the mail.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:38 PM
pillar
5th Gear
Are you saying that we have to get the letter for it to be covered? I have an 08 and Im not sure if I got it or not.

"The service engine soon" light? I think I get one of those, except currently, everytime I turn on the engine its says -1200 first.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:59 PM
SD4US
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pillar
Are you saying that we have to get the letter for it to be covered? I have an 08 and Im not sure if I got it or not.

"The service engine soon" light? I think I get one of those, except currently, everytime I turn on the engine its says -1200 first.

If you are not the first owner, or have moved recently, etc. you may not receive the snail mail at all. It doesn't mean you are not covered. If you feel you can't wait another few days for the letter, you may call the number from the pdf posted on the first page of this thread and ask yourself.

The check engine light is not to be confused with the service reminder feature...

Old 08-19-2010, 10:46 AM
pillar
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SD4US
If you are not the first owner, or have moved recently, etc. you may not receive the snail mail at all. It doesn't mean you are not covered. If you feel you can't wait another few days for the letter, you may call the number from the pdf posted on the first page of this thread and ask yourself.

The check engine light is not to be confused with the service reminder feature...
Thanks to this thread, i just got my last oil change b4 my maintenance warranty expires. Crappy thing is, I did my own oil change 50 miles ago

Regardless, asked my MA about this and I'm covered! It seems about all mini s's in that time frame is covered whether you got that notification or not. Hopefully, I wont need it.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Rixter
5th Gear
I'm in Canada and I haven't gotten anything. Why's that? The US/CDN cars are the same. I hope I get something soon. I too wish they'd do something about the warranty for the 'death rattle' as well

Old 08-19-2010, 11:21 AM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rixter
I'm in Canada and I haven't gotten anything. Why's that? The US/CDN cars are the same. I hope I get something soon. I too wish they'd do something about the warranty for the 'death rattle' as well
Rixter, I understand your frustration. The letter comes from Mini USA so...I think I would print it out and take it to your dealer. Ask him what's the deal?? I'd ask him point blank: Does he expect to ever sell you another car? Mini should value their Canadian customers no differently than their US customers!

Quick Reply: R56 In the mail today, Extended Warranty for HPFP