R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Pre-buying questions

Old 03-27-2009, 06:19 AM
chipperf
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre-buying questions

Hey all,
I am new to this thread, as I have just recently picked up an interest in Mini Coopers. The other day while browsing the site, I built a Mini Cooper S, black with 17" JCW Challenge Spoke rims, and a bunch of other options that I really liked. The car totaled out at a little over 30,000$. Its a sick looking car, something I kinda fell in love with the moment I finished building it. However, I figured before I make any final plans to visit and possibly purchase this awesome machine, I would stop by and talk to current Mini Cooper owners, and get a possible perspective.

I have a couple questions to ask in the hopes that it will help fully convince me to purchase this car!

1) I currently drive an 2001 Honda Accord LX 4cyl, and was wondering how this compares to the new Mini Cooper S?

2) What options have y'all added on your cars that you couldn't live without?

3) What are things you wouldn't add if you could do it again?

4) Is the gas mileage on this car as great as it is made out to be on the Mini.com website?

5) How's the handling.. around town, on the highway.. everywhere?

6) How much would a Mini dealership generally be willing to come off the MSRP if the car I want cost 30,000$? In your opinion or experience!

Any other information you could add to convince me would greatly be appreciated.. and I appreciate all information you have already given!

Thanks again,

Old 03-27-2009, 06:30 AM
zonedguy
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1) I drove a 1997 Honda Accord LX, then a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder, then my MINI. Have you gone on a test drive yet? There is CLEARLY no comparison between the family car feel of the Accord verses the zippy fun of an S. The difference is immediately apparent. Go for that test drive!!

2) The Anthracite Headliner, my Xenons (they make me smile everytime I turn the car on), and the Cold Weather Package (mmmmm nice and toasty!!).

3) Not added? Are you kidding? I'd have added more if I was going to do it again!

4) I've got a 2008 MCSa that I put 40 miles on per day, mostly on the highway. I routinely pulll an average of 34mpg without even trying.

5) Waaaaaa hoooo! I fight crazy NY and NJ drivers each day on some of the worst roads in the country. Potholes? No way! I can zip through and around traffic while avoiding the minefield with ease.

6) I paid MSRP back in June when anything off MSRP was unheard of, so I don't know. Good luck on this one!

Any other information to convince you hmm? Clearly you haven't been on that test drive yet, we won't need to give you any other reason after that.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:10 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
2007 Cooper S.

1) Not fair. Test drive a MINI and find out why.

2) Xenons and MFSW. The lights make night day. Have yet to get the "your high beams are on" flash from oncoming traffic.

3) ???

4) I usually beat the highway mileage rating. I am under on City. Always first at the next freakin' light. Doesn't help the MPG to be on the gas/on the brake/on the gas....... Cross country drive I got 600 miles out of a tank.

5) It turns like a Dixie Chopper.

6) You seen MINI doing many TV ads? Heard them On the radio? You might get a K off, but they are still on the buffet, right beside the hotcakes.

Go test drive one. Aspirin won't help with the fever you'll catch.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:26 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chipperf
Hey all,

Any other information you could add to convince me would greatly be appreciated.. and I appreciate all information you have already given!

Thanks again,
1. Drive a MINI. Drive it hard and you'll know the difference.
2. Get the Xenons. I like the look of the anthacite headliner. Wished I had added the chrome interior and the white turn signals. Get the sunroof it that's your thing.
3. Skip the Hi-Fi, auto air. Skip the wheel upgrade and get light aftermarket's when your MINI arrives.
4. I get great gas mileage, even when I push it.
5. See #1. You can add a aftermarket rear sway bar and springs or coil-overs for even more FUN!
6. Have not heard of much off, but your best bet is getting one off the lot. The lot stock is building in some places. I had almost a 6 month wait and now Portland has 47 available the last time I was in.

This is the most fun I've had in a car EVER! If a test drive doesn't help you make up your mind, go to a local MINI club event, a SOLO track event or just stop a MINI owner and talk to them. Any of those should push you over the edge.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:27 AM
tgs91
4th Gear
1) Strap it in buddy. I had a 6cyl Accord and I think the MCS gives it a run. With the JCW power boost? Foregeddabout it
2)Cold Weather. Heated seats will set you free!, Convenice Access. Too cool to walk up to car and just get in and start without having to use key. Taking it to the service center and they insert your key fob and it tells em' exactly how your baby is runnin and what service is needed.
3) Nuthin
4)My onboard computer regulalry shows about 34-35mpg, believe it
5) unlike anything you have ever driven. TEST DRIVE IT (I will caution you once you do it gets a little addictive)
6)They generally don''t budge much. demand is such that they really don't have to deal to much. I got lucky with a used one with 10K on it and talked them down a bit (that was right before gas prices spiked)

Other advise? If you didn't read up on it- the car comes with a 3 year maintenance warranty where absolutely everything is covered and I mean everything.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:38 AM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
1) I currently drive an 2001 Honda Accord LX 4cyl, and was wondering how this compares to the new Mini Cooper S? As others have mentioned, your best bet is to test drive one. My dealer gave me the key, put a dealer tag on, and told me that anything less than 15 minutes wasn't a test drive. No ride along, no forced route. Just me and the MINI getting to know one another. That's what you need.

2) What options have y'all added on your cars that you couldn't live without? I got the convenience and premium packages, for Comfort Go (your key never has to leave your pocket), Bluetooth, Sunroof, Auto sensing wipers, Auto A/C. I also got Sport Suspension and DSC. My config is here: http://www.motoringdreams.com/wp-con...6/2008-mcs.pdf I know the packages have changed for the newer models, so take it with a grain of salt. (Edit: I should add that I didn't get the bumper protection, and I got the rubber mats instead of the carpeted ones. BTW, you may want to start deciding now if you want the clear bra that most dealers sell. There are a few threads with people on both sides. Personally I didn't like the way it looked so I passed it up. I do have a few small chips from rocks on the interstate. Just another thing to consider.)

3) What are things you wouldn't add if you could do it again? Maybe not Hi-Fi, but at the same time, having the locations for the tweeters and an amp is worth it in some ways.

4) Is the gas mileage on this car as great as it is made out to be on the Mini.com website? I've tried to calculate my actual MPG vs the MINI's OBC, and I've consistently gotten between 26 and 32 MPG, regardless of how I drive the MINI. And I assure you I have a depleted uranium foot. Spreadsheet with my mileage info is here: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...IWQNwsj71qtfSQ

5) How's the handling.. around town, on the highway.. everywhere? Absolutely amazing. Test drive and you'll see.

6) How much would a Mini dealership generally be willing to come off the MSRP if the car I want cost 30,000$? In your opinion or experience! Not much. Mine was right at 30K, I didn't even get the free floor mats that everyone talks about. I did get a plush bulldog thrown in though. MSRP is the rule and standard for MINIs. They're still at capacity at Oxford, so even though the economy is in a slump, MINIs are still selling. It's a premium car, with a premium price. Just gotta bite the bullet. Hopefully with the economy you can at least get a much better interest rate than I did. Good luck!

(Edit: Another question... where are you from? I see the "y'all", and thought I'd ask.)

Last edited by wbarnhill; 03-27-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:53 AM
ekpowell
Neutral
I ordered my wife a new Cooper S Hardop in early February and it was recently delivered in mid-March. She loves it. Basically fully loaded with every option including Nav, black leather, sport suspension, black wheels, etc. With respect to the pricing, they don't budge a lot. I was able to get the floor mats, windows tinted, splash guards, bumper protection thrown in with a small bump down on the price but not much. For the car as ordered plus the accessories from the dealer plus tax, title license, I was able to get about $850 off the out the door price vs. what it would have been for MSRP on the car and all the accessories+TTL. My wife had her financing through her credit union for like 5.4% at 48 mos but by the time the Mini arrived Mini Financial services had announced 2.9/3.9/4.9% financing for 36/48/60 mos. It says it is supposed to be for dealer inventory but they gave us the 2.9% for 36 months even though we had ordered it. Overall not bad, but the sales manager that gave us the deal was actually cut loose by the time we went to pick it up, so even Mini is trying to cut costs even though their sales have held up pretty well. I suspect they would now be willing to deal a little more on the price, especically if you buy one in inventory vs. ordering it.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:13 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
First off, I'd buy the wheels from Morristown MINI. I was quoted under $2200 for a new set of Challenge wheels with shipping and everything included. You can even have them order custom tires from Tire Rack and have them mount the tires for you. I would have done this if I didn't get a killer deal on some local Challenge take-offs.

1) It doesn't compare, your car is a completely ordinary sedan with bad handling and little power. I'm sure the MINI will put a smile on your face if you like good handling and a huge comparative boost of power.

2) In order: LSD, cold weather pack, anthracite headliner, xenons, rear fogs. I wish I got the white turn signals.

3) My car is pretty base, so I got exactly what I wanted. I would consider getting the mfsw, but I like the blank look of the steering wheel. That's the only thing I've doubted myself on. I'd also not have gotten the sunroof, but the wife wanted it.

4) My wife who has a 100% city commute with lots of stoplights gets about 27 mpg. I get a little above 30 mpg with 75% Highway and a heavy foot. If you drive 55 on the highway, you'll see close to 40 if you have a light foot.

5) It's pretty good even with the stock suspension. I don't think the sport suspension is worth it. There's lots of mods available if you want to improve it. Just gotta test drive one.

6) I paid MSRP since they were pretty much sold out on the lot when I went in. Cars on the lot may be discounted. I just got free rubber floor and boot mats.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:25 AM
bigsoup52
6th Gear
Since I do not happen to like the big speedo in the center console, I have a mini with the navigation system there, and the speedo is mounted to the right of the tach behind the steering wheel. Just a personal preference.

You need to take the test drive dude.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:37 AM
saturn
4th Gear
As far as a discount off MSRP, I bought my fully loaded 07 MCSa (minus Nav) in January of 08. It was an 10/07 build. At the time the local MINI dealer was having 2.9 financing for last year models just to get rid of them. The sticker price on my car with all options, was over 36k. I got it for just over 31k. It had less than 500 miles on it so break-in was a breeze! I'm sure that there are dealers that will do some negotiating.
Good luck and be warned: once you go test drive, you'll be hooked! You'll have many a sleepless nights wanting to go drive and thinking about the car. It will consume you!!!!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:55 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. What all these other guys have said is true. Making a comparison between a MINI and an Accord is like pitting an Indy car against a Corolla. There is no comparison. Go test drive it and find out why. In the Honda universe, the only thing that comes close is the Civic Si and even that isn't quite as spirited and as fun in the bends as a MINI.

2. Sunroof, hi fi stereo, mudflaps.

3. If I had it to do again, I would not order the center arm rest and would pay someone to take the thing away. Can't stand the thing, but as I've seen on these forums, taller people tend to like the arm rest, where shorter people tend to not like it because the short folks can't use it.

4. My last tank of gas in this car, and she currently has 8400 miles on her, was 30 mpg about 50% city and 50% highway driving. So in answer to your question, yes, but I drive an automatic JustACooper. Your mileage in the S may vary.

5. The handling is why there is no comparison to your Accord. (Accords, btw are nice family cars, but they drive like family cars.)

6. You will more than likely pay MSRP at a MINI dealer. I've not known many dealers to "haggle" on the price of these cars because someone else will come along that will pay MSRP for the car. And they really will. MINIs are not like GM cars. They actually leave the lots. They don't need you that badly. From what I've found, most dealers tend to throw in accessories as perks to sweeten the deal to get you to pay MSRP. Some folks have had floor mats or mud flaps thrown in by the dealership for free. You may be able to negotiate for those things... but more than likely, you won't get a dime off the sticker price, especially not if you custom order the car.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:23 AM
ImCBParker
2nd Gear
Will only address which options to get, as the others have been largely addressed. As always, options are a personal preference, but if you are spending 30K, you are getting a nicely equipped S, or not so nicely equipped JCW. I have heard of many people getting $500-$1000 off MSRP, market depending. If buying in a metro area, you may still be paying over MSRP.

Most options you can add after the fact relatively cheap. There are some that are not so cheap to do after the fact and are worth every penny before hand. LSD, Xexons, driving lamps, auto-climate, convenience, bluetooth, and rear fogs are ones that come to mind. Again, entirely personal preference. Having learned my lesson, there is no way I would not get the light options on the order.

Last edited by ImCBParker; 03-27-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:45 AM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
1) I came from owning a 5.0 liter Mustang and the MCSa gives me the same thrills on take-off as the quarter-mile machine did, and oh boy, the handling is a whole 'nother bit of excitement. The ride may be a bit harsh, so test drive it.

2) I love the big sunroof. I like the look of the mudflaps and the driving lights (both can be added later) I recommend the bluetooth integration, my one regret. Wish I added it.

3) If I did it again I'd stick with the standard rims/tires and get aftermarket Rota RBs and non-runflats.

4) The mileage is better than advertised for the MCS. Especially on the highway. You won't be wishing you got that hybrid Escalade

5) The handling is fantastic. You WILL need to dodge potholes with an MCS, so get used to it!

6) I paid MSRP, I had to order it, they are in high demand and even at Prestige, which sells a lot of Minis, I had to wait 10 weeks for my car. But it's fun, you get to know a bunch of impatient people in 1st Gear and on the Mini USA forums.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:16 PM
on2wheels
3rd Gear
Plenty of ammo here. You said yourself it was a sick build. Just go pull the trigger.