R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 04:30 AM
GregO
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blown engine

What would happen if you left the car in neutral and stomped on the accelerator to maximum rpm for...a while? Would the rev limiter prevent catastrophe (for a little while at least? maybe 1 minute, 2 minutes?).

Curious,
Greg

Old 06-25-2008, 04:36 AM
tachicardia
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Curious because you did it (or was it a "friend"), curious because you were thinking of doing it, curious because you were bored on your commute and thought about this... Do tell

Old 06-25-2008, 04:39 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
traffic does things to people...

Old 06-25-2008, 04:50 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
My experience is, with my just-for-fun 1992 Mazda Protege, that when you rev to redline in neutral, it prevents redline by cutting off fuel supply. Eventually the car just shuts off. I've done it, and I'm sure if my 1992 model of a commuter car is capable of this, I'm sure the MINI is as well....

Only one way to find out! Don't upset the neighbours..

Old 06-25-2008, 05:06 AM
hdvato
3rd Gear
Old 06-25-2008, 05:14 AM
GregO
4th Gear
blown engine

I'm curious. I was recently researching synthetic versus non-synthetic oil and found a video where they're "gunning" the engines and of course, the non-synthetic results in the engine parts departing a lot sooner (probably Castrol-funded "research"). No, neither I nor my "friend" have done this...yet.

Originally Posted by tachicardia
Curious because you did it (or was it a "friend"), curious because you were thinking of doing it, curious because you were bored on your commute and thought about this... Do tell

Old 06-25-2008, 05:18 AM
cartar452
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do it

Old 06-25-2008, 05:19 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Old 06-25-2008, 05:26 AM
GregO
4th Gear
Dang

Dang! I'm impressed the car didn't self-destruct before the good samaritan shut it down. Too funny

Originally Posted by Tu13es

Old 06-25-2008, 08:40 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
The rev limiters shut the engine down until the computer senses it's safe again EXCEPT when you downshift to the wrong gear, then I think you can overrev the engine.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:25 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
yep, most cars will cut off when you get too high rpm's. I've driven nearly every car I've owned at redline at least one time or another (w/ load, not revving in neutral) and there is usually a momentary cut off of gas to the engine ...takes a few seconds then your back w/ power again. I've done this not for fun, but to achieve best times, etc.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:38 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
The rev limiters shut the engine down until the computer senses it's safe again EXCEPT when you downshift to the wrong gear, then I think you can overrev the engine.
If you downshift to the wrong gear you force the engine to spin at whatever speed is dictated by the selected, fixed gear ratio, with or without fuel. So, a second gear downshift at 90 mph would not be a good choice! First gear, if it didn't self-destruct the gear or the clutch, would probably launch you through the windshield!

Old 06-25-2008, 03:10 PM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tu13es
The guy wasn't moving. Was he dead drunk? Dead? managed to get the keys to the ex-wife's new car? Suicidal?

Old 06-25-2008, 05:51 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
I am sure it is not good for the car.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:29 AM
z3bum
5th Gear
BMW/MINI build in a pretty big safety factor on their cars for maximum rpm. If you leave a MINI in neutral and hold your foot to the floor, the engine will hit near redline and have its ignition retarded and fuel cut off till you back off the throttle a bit. The cutoff point is pretty low, so the only thing that would happen for sure is you'd start to overheat, since you aren't getting any cooling air blowing through. (just like on a Dyno) The CPU does record these "events" so if something went wrong, the dealer would be able to tell what the maximum engine rpm was.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:42 AM
Calaway16
3rd Gear
What if that poor guy was dead!!!????? mysticturner is probably right, he was just sloppy drunk.

I was in the pits at Sebring this year when a corvette drove by (not the ALMS corvette) and blew his engine. Not sure if he over-reved it or if it was just in dire need of a rebuild. Either way it was very noisy and dramatic.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:57 AM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
What would happen is that the engine would get very, very hot. If the MINI didn't cycle off the fuel, it would continue to get hotter and hotter.

If it gets hot enough, the smaller metallic parts will absorb enough energy to soften slightly, and, under pressure, warp until they're out of spec, to the point where the engine will no longer function.

If that didn't happen, and there's no guarantee it would, the larger metallic parts would absorb enough energy that their structural integrity would be in jeopardy, again, causing the engine to fail.

If that didn't happen, and there's no guarantee it would, the heat would travel throughout the entire car, melting all the plastic and setting fire to anything flammable, destroying the automobile and anything near it.

If that didn't happen, and there's no guarantee it would, the unrelenting output of extreme energy would shear the fabric of space-time, engulfing you in a local bubble of non-Euclidian geometry, permitting you to shape reality to your will, and making you a god among mortals.

I say do it.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:28 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Originally Posted by r56mini
I am sure it is not good for the car.
Exactly. Not sure I understand the point of this thread. Sort of like hitting yourself in the hand with a hammer to see if you'll scream...

Old 06-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Calaway16
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by glangford
Exactly. Not sure I understand the point of this thread. Sort of like hitting yourself in the hand with a hammer to see if you'll scream...
That ends the discussion. I'm unsubscribing. Bye.

Try it with your mom's minivan.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:30 PM
luckyduck
2nd Gear
That didn't go over very well.

The computer should prevent damage but I wouldn't try it with my stuff. Mechanics at work do it a lot. Don't worry - company vehicles. I cringe everytime I walk through the shop when they do that.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:25 PM
zooki
2nd Gear
Yea, I watched a tech at a Ford dealership do this to a Superduty diesel. One of the test they do is hold the motor up against the rev limiter for 2 minutes and then check the oil to see how much it foams up. With the oil driving the fuel injectors also, the oil can't foam up much, otherwise the fuel pressure drops off. Kinda scary to watch, but he told me that the Powerstroke was so "overbuilt" they were pretty much impossible to destroy. 225,000 miles later, I'm inclined to agree.

Originally Posted by luckyduck

The computer should prevent damage but I wouldn't try it with my stuff. Mechanics at work do it a lot. Don't worry - company vehicles. I cringe everytime I walk through the shop when they do that.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:32 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your ECU has no clue whether you're doing any damage to your engine or not. All it knows is that your engine is exceeding the preprogrammed rev-limit, at which point it's told to cut fuel (Keeping it at the rev limited RPM).

You can sit there for a week bouncing off the rev limiter provided there's enough cooling over the radiator to keep the car from overheating. The ECU isn't going to do a thing...

Old 06-28-2008, 04:38 PM
luckyduck
2nd Gear
Okay technically, you are right. The rev limit will prevent over-revving for 2 minutes. I should have stated the computer will prevent damage from over-revving. If you lose oil pressure, spin a bearing and throw a rod the computer will still attempt to let the engine merrily beat itself to death.

On that note, I tore down an engine with a broken rod and a nice hole in the block. I bought the car as a beater with the blown engine and swapped a junkyard motor in. I don't know what happened to this thing. I don't know if the guy missed a shift and did 4th to 3rd or what.

Attached Thumbnails blown engine-block.jpg   blown engine-pistonrod.jpg  
Old 06-28-2008, 05:16 PM
luchini
2nd Gear
what is the point of this post?

Old 07-04-2008, 05:18 AM
GregO
4th Gear
what the heck

Figured what the heck, let's try it. So, I pegged the red line in neutral to see what happens and... it's not good...just kidding... everything was AOK.

As some have suggested, the car programming just lets the car run right at redline and not exceed that at all except on short-burst revs. I was impressed b/c it sounded perfectly fine and just behaved/revved happily. There was no sputtering or recognizeable cutting of fuel, just limited revving, so the rev limiter does indeed work.

Quick Reply: R56 blown engine