R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Modifications - Cooper vs Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:56 AM
TomBT
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modifications - Cooper vs Cooper S

As a first time mini owner with my car somewhere in the North Atlantic. It seems like the number of modifications you can do to an S vastly outnumbers what you can do to a justacooper. Am I right or wrong about that and does that explain the greater appeal of the S model? I just got a catalogue from MossMini and the number of gadgets for a straight cooper is rather limited compared to an S .

Old 06-21-2008, 11:21 AM
new22003
2nd Gear
I think with most makes the "performance" model is usually the darling of the aftermarket.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
The exterior/interior accessories, suspensions and brakes are simliar or idential; however due to the more economy-minded engine of the Cooper you'll have a harder time finding engine-performance mods.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:03 PM
TomBT
2nd Gear
I'm talking mods in general, i.e., interior, exterior and performance.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:28 AM
graphicjoe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't really checked, but I would guess that many of the suspension modifications would work equally well for either model. Sophisticated drivers will understand that good handling is more fun than straight line power. I know people who have the basic Cooper who seem to love their cars just as much as I love my S. Certainly we can all agree that the lower cost and better milage are good things. Both models are great; different, but great.

Joe S.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:53 AM
wimsaab
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by graphicjoe
I haven't really checked, but I would guess that many of the suspension modifications would work equally well for either model. Sophisticated drivers will understand that good handling is more fun than straight line power. I know people who have the basic Cooper who seem to love their cars just as much as I love my S. Certainly we can all agree that the lower cost and better milage are good things. Both models are great; different, but great.

Joe S.
I'm really like your words...

Old 06-22-2008, 12:00 PM
anderezd
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by graphicjoe

Joe S.
+1 as well. I've done a few of the exterior mods but got the car for the economy and cost. I get turned off by the S owners who think their car is superior to us justa's. We're all MINI's right?

Old 06-22-2008, 02:39 PM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
this is just my oppinion but i think most people that buy the non s model just want it for the gas milage they r the people most likely not to wave at a fellow mini owner and not show up to MINI events again just my oppinion,but s modle seems to b more popular tho

Old 06-22-2008, 02:39 PM
new22003
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sk8erguyzach
this is just my oppinion but i think most people that buy the non s model just want it for the gas milage they r the people most likely not to wave at a fellow mini owner and not show up to MINI events again just my oppinion,but s modle seems to b more popular tho
Get ready for replies.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:47 PM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In my opinion, Cooper S owners cannot spell or punctuate.

Last edited by snid; 06-22-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear

Old 06-22-2008, 02:48 PM
TomBT
2nd Gear
I think you've nailed it. The S is certainly the car for the enthusiast. And I suspect mini events are an opportunity for them to show off and/or discuss modifications which are limited on the non S. My primary reason for ordering the non S was gas mileage. The car is somewhere in the Atlantic and as I learn more about minis I probably should have ordered an S. In fact, I may query the dealer to see if I can renege on my order and reorder an S. That is, if I don't lose my deposit. It's not like they won't be able to sell the car once it arrives. I suspect it will go in a weekend. Any thoughts on this?

Old 06-22-2008, 02:49 PM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
yea its just an opinion tho but here in panama city most people dont wave unless they have an s model but there r some who have an s but dont wave

Old 06-22-2008, 02:52 PM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TomBT
I think you've nailed it. The S is certainly the car for the enthusiast. And I suspect mini events are an opportunity for them to show off and/or discuss modifications which are limited on the non S. My primary reason for ordering the non S was gas mileage. The car is somewhere in the Atlantic and as I learn more about minis I probably should have ordered an S. In fact, I may query the dealer to see if I can renege on my order and reorder an S. That is, if I don't lose my deposit. It's not like they won't be able to sell the car once it arrives. I suspect it will go in a weekend. Any thoughts on this?
if u want an s go for it ur probably right the mini u ordered will sell fast like most others b prpared 4 a higher price and waiting longer if u custom order yours

Old 06-22-2008, 02:54 PM
cartar452
Banned
Originally Posted by snid
In my opinion, Cooper S owners cannot spell of punctuate.
I guess you're right.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:55 PM
maxx629
2nd Gear
In my opinion, Cooper S owners cannot spell of punctuate.

Whut !!!!!

Old 06-22-2008, 02:56 PM
snid
6th Gear
Damn...

I fixed it up above. Besides, I own one of each, so I can blame the Cooper S for that mistake.

Can we please stop the Cooper vs S stuff in this thread. I'm sure someone can dig up one of the other 1000 Cooper vs S threads to do that sillyness in. Can we focus on what modifications are available instead? Since that's what the original poster asked about.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:57 PM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
In my opinion, Cooper S owners cannot spell or punctuate.

who nees punctuate its not like im taking an english test

Old 06-22-2008, 03:03 PM
snid
6th Gear
I'm not as well versed in the 2007+ cars as I am in the earlier ones.

Any suspension upgrade will work on either a Cooper S or a Cooper.

Any brake upgrade will work on either a Cooper S or a Cooper (well, wheel size may be an issue as the Cooper comes with smaller stock wheels).

95% of the interior mods will work on either car. There are some exceptions, I guess. A boost gauge would be rather pointless on a Cooper.

90% of the exterior mods will work on either car. Things to look out for are the different hoods (scoop vs no scoop) and different exhaust locations (center exit vs side exit).

Engine, air intake, and exhaust are obviously different...

Old 06-22-2008, 03:08 PM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
Damn...

I fixed it up above.

Can we please stop the Cooper vs S stuff in this thread. I'm sure someone can dig up one of the other 1000 Cooper vs S threads to do that sillyness in. Can we focus on what modifications are available instead? Since that's what the original poster asked about.
I agree. I'll be back after somem reaserch on mods for both.

ohh look s owners can u proper grammer

Old 06-22-2008, 03:09 PM
cartar452
Banned
It's easier to compare the 1st generation MINIS since the aftermarket world has been around a lot longer for them and it may provide an idea for what will become of the 2nd generation MINIS. Basically, all interior, exterior, and suspension modifications will be the same however performance is the major difference. 1st generation Coopers were able to make around 150whp at the most without adding some type of forced induction and doing major changes. The Cooper S was able to make 250whp fairly easy (these days) and upwards of 400-500whp with more modification.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:17 PM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
m7tuning.com doesnt even include non s model upgrades,altaminipreformance is limited on engine preformance but everything else has the same as the s model i guess preformance wise non s coopers r limited more than s models but cosmetic and handling have a good selection

Old 06-22-2008, 03:42 PM
rickdm
2nd Gear
I got an S and love the power, but if there were no S I am quite sure I would be very happy driving around in a regular Cooper. My custom shift **** (thanks Robin), glove box organizer, and special antenna would all fit

BTW somebody finally waved back. A driver in a yellow MCS in the Target parking lot. Big wave and the 'yeah we're cool smile.'

Old 06-22-2008, 03:57 PM
snid
6th Gear
In the first gen MINI world (2002 - 2006), the Cooper has cams, headers, exhausts, clutches, flywheels, intakes, and throttle body upgrades. You can get the ECU tweaked. There was a (briefly offered) JCW engine kit. I believe there's a Quaife limited slip differential available.

There are vaporware products for the Cooper such as individual throttle body kits and turbo kits. Nobody has ever offered these things in any number.

If you believe mini-madness, they sell a "stage 3, 155hp" kit for the 2002-2006 Cooper.

But, for the cooper, all the engine stuff is of less value than engine tuning a Cooper S is. You have to spend a lot of money working on the engine of a Cooper, and you don't gain a whole lot.

With a Cooper, you are much better off focusing on braking and suspension.

If you vision of modding is purely focused on the engine bay, you'll be much happier getting an MCS.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:28 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TomBT
As a first time mini owner with my car somewhere in the North Atlantic. It seems like the number of modifications you can do to an S vastly outnumbers what you can do to a justacooper. Am I right or wrong about that and does that explain the greater appeal of the S model? I just got a catalogue from MossMini and the number of gadgets for a straight cooper is rather limited compared to an S .
the non S in my opinion isnt worth modding. if you add all the basics, exhaust, chip, CAI, your still almost slower then where an S starts off with stock power.
after these mods the car is still very slow compared.

My opinion is its not worth the money. Sell the non S and start with a better performance platform, the S. If the idea is to build up any kind of real power.

Quick Reply: R56 Modifications - Cooper vs Cooper S