R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sunroof or No Sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 03:51 PM
dbhouston
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jggimi
There have been sunroof vs non-sunroof threads before. It is an issue of personal taste. I happen to love the panorama dual sunroof, but that's me. In this case, matrimonial harmony should be part of your consideration. My wife hates everything about my car, but that's because she wasn't consulted before I bought it.
So you never have to share it? And the down side of this is........

Old 04-15-2008, 04:05 PM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rattles--- leaks--- windnoise---heat---weight. Take your pick

Old 04-15-2008, 07:55 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
When I was buying my car I started a thread by posting the exact same questions. The responses were about 70/30 in favor of a sunroof. So, instead of going with my gut I went with the crowd ...bad move.

It doesn't rattle, or make much noise on those rare occasions when I open it at speed. I'm just not a sunroof kind of guy. Its like at home ...we rarely open the windows as the seasons seem to go almost directly from heat to AC these days.

The only thing I find it useful for is when I pull up too close to a traffic light to see it through the windshield I can look at it through the sunroof. Other than that, its useless.

I bought some cool sun blocking shades from a vendor I found here on Nam that really help keep the car cool in the summer ...and I don't miss the loss of light or feel claustrophobic or anything like that. In fact, I prefer it with the shades installed. I put them in around May and took them out in October. I think from now on I'll just leave them in year 'round.

Do yourself a favor ...don't listen to anyone especially me ...I'm nuts.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:19 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DuongR56
The only option I hate. Whatever it cost I'd pay double to make it go away.
you're awfully negative today.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:11 PM
randyward
1st Gear
I have an S with all packages, and I'd lose the sunroof if I could. Too much sun, and I'm in MN. Going to the tinters soon.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:11 AM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by steaming79
you're awfully negative today.
I love my Mini although it has a sunroof. I just wouldn't recommend it to anyone without feeling guilty. dealerships should charge extra not to have a sunroof.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:49 AM
ucbrother
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Vim
Before I place my order for an 2008 MC, do I need to rethink the sunroof option? It's gets really hot and sunny down here (deep in the heart of Texas), and might I regret getting a sunroof? On one hand, my wife (the native Texan) thinks it's a must. I'm having 2nd thoughts..... Those of you who've got the R56 sunroof option, what are your thoughts? -- Vim
I live in Dallas. Yes, it gets hot, but the sunroof is adequately tinted. That, along with the shade underneath it does a decent job of keeping the car cool. My solution for the heat of the summer however, was to get a mini car cover. My other reason for doing this was not so much out of concern about the sunroof, but my paint in general, as Texas sun can be devastating on a paint job. Not having a sunroof would actually add to this problem. (More paint )

Old 04-16-2008, 09:53 AM
jggimi
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dbhouston
So you never have to share it? And the down side of this is........
Share it? She hates to even get in it.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:44 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Even though I live in the northeast, I found because of the size of the sunroof, it let in too much light. I test drove a MCS one morning with a sunroof, and was glad I was wearing a baseball cap.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Spectral Glider
2nd Gear
It's my first car to have a sunroof and I love it to death. Yeah, it lets in more sun. That's why I got it. I'm stuck in an office for 8 hours a day, I'll take the sun when I can get it. Also, driving with the sunroof fully open and windows up is nowhere near as windy or loud as driving a car with both windows down.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Vim
1st Gear
Sunroof or No sunroof?

Originally Posted by jggimi
Share it? She hates to even get in it.
jggimi,

A woman can sometimes choose to react that way. Especially so, if she perceives another object is competing for her guy's affection (a car, hobby, career. buddies, etc). Given, she was upset, initially, because she wasn't consulted before the mini's purchase. By now, I'm sure you've made all the customary amends (flowers, candy, diamond tennis bracelet), but nothing's worked. For all you know, she may have gotten over her initial reason for rejecting the car, and has since shifted the cause for her disdain to some other "perceived" slight. Unless you know her reason for sure, it's best to not attempt to find out. My advice: cut to the chase. Produce a bouquet of red roses and some expensive chocolates, get down on your knees, and convince her she's the Number One object of your affection. To prove it, tell her you would even offer to sell the Mini. Of course, should she like that latter idea, be sure to remind her how great a car it is for shopping (gets in/out of even the tightest mall parking spaces, is gas efficient, would look especially good with her behind the wheel..... yada-yada). Also, tell her that if you were to advertise the Mini for sale -- it would quickly be grabbed up by some other married chap who'se wife wanted him to have one as an anniversary present. (I could be that chap). BLUF: Remove the competition factor from your wife's perception and you will end up a double winner! Good luck. -- Vim

Old 04-16-2008, 12:00 PM
MiniEnvy
3rd Gear
I would never get a MINI without a sunroof unless I was going to AutoX it. To me it is one of the best parts of the car. The amount of light that it lets in is wonderful and it clears the heat from the inside almost immediatly. Before I picked the car up I was planning on getting the sunroof tinted, and now I'm glad I didn't!

Yesterday here in Colorado was sunny near 80(and of course today it is supposed to snow ). A perfect day to have the sunroof open. Actually it was cooler in my car with the sunroof open and the windows just barely cracked than having the windows all the way down, due to my windows being tinted.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:07 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by reelsmith.
When I was buying my car I started a thread by posting the exact same questions. The responses were about 70/30 in favor of a sunroof. So, instead of going with my gut I went with the crowd ...bad move.

It doesn't rattle, or make much noise on those rare occasions when I open it at speed. I'm just not a sunroof kind of guy. Its like at home ...we rarely open the windows as the seasons seem to go almost directly from heat to AC these days.

The only thing I find it useful for is when I pull up too close to a traffic light to see it through the windshield I can look at it through the sunroof. Other than that, its useless.

I bought some cool sun blocking shades from a vendor I found here on Nam that really help keep the car cool in the summer ...and I don't miss the loss of light or feel claustrophobic or anything like that. In fact, I prefer it with the shades installed. I put them in around May and took them out in October. I think from now on I'll just leave them in year 'round.

Do yourself a favor ...don't listen to anyone especially me ...I'm nuts.

How on earth are your lights set up out there. See the light through the sunroof? I'd have to be in the middle of the intersection to see any traffic lights through my sunroof.

I like opening the sunroof for ventalation, keeps the car cooler in the summer, and looks nice with it vented up.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:40 PM
odobo
2nd Gear
getting the sunroof: $1000
amount you pay for gas to turn on ac per tank: 50 cents
the option to open up the roof and see the sky: priceless

Old 04-16-2008, 01:39 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
If you want a sunroof at all, sure get one. If it were me, though (also living in Texas as I do) I'd recommend finding an opaque insert to keep the heat out when needed. That way you're covered (or uncovered as the case may be) for every circumstance!!

Old 04-16-2008, 01:50 PM
gaston
2nd Gear
I vote for the sunroof

I'm on my second MINI, both with the sunroof. You either love it or hate it. I can't imagine buying a MINI without it, and I find the typical little sunroof offered in most cars to be laughable. Of course, where I live, the heater is used a lot more than the a/c, so a little sunlight is no problem.

As to rattles and leaks, only problem I had was a bit of squeaking from the 2003 MC's roof. The 2007 MCS seems very solid, and I like the new wind deflector. At first I didn't like the twin tilt mechanism in the 2007 because it seemed a little noisier, but I've grown to appreciate the venting that it offers.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:03 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by odobo
getting the sunroof: $1000
amount you pay for gas to turn on ac per tank: 50 cents
the option to open up the roof and see the sky: priceless
I could care about gas usage with the AC on. For the record, it reduces my gas milage by almost 4 MPG over the tank. That comes out to between 3 and 4 dollars difference a tank.

Being able to drive your car without losing 15-20 HP (And having horrible throttle response) from the AC is nice too...

Old 04-16-2008, 02:57 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rustyboy155

How on earth are your lights set up out there. See the light through the sunroof? I'd have to be in the middle of the intersection to see any traffic lights through my sunroof.
Don't know what to tell you ...maybe its because I have the seat almost all the way back. But, it works. Not all the time, though.

If I ever get another MINI, it will be sunroofless.

Dean.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:10 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
its easier to use RPGs & other kinds of over-the-shoulder device if you have a vehicle equipped with a sunroof.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:02 PM
SilverRocket
4th Gear
Originally Posted by steaming79
its easier to use RPGs & other kinds of over-the-shoulder device if you have a vehicle equipped with a sunroof.
Makes ejection seat retro fitting a bit easier/more seamless as well....

Old 04-16-2008, 07:50 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
To me the sunroof is an useless and pricey option. None of my 4 MINIs have ever had sunroofs.

Have driven countless MINIS with them (Including last week a new Clubman loaner) but I am not convinced. I also live in Florida and in a hot climate like ours this thing is not that enjoyable. It adds weight to the car and makes the car incredibly hotter. My Clubman S with a solid roof was way cooler inside than the Cooper Clubman loaner the dealer gave me with a sunroof.

In cooler climates with seasons, this may make more sense, but down here in the hot swamp, I'll pass on it.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Ivygirl702
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Shifti
Gotta have that sunroof.
The very first car that I financed on my own had a sunroof and I loved it. Ever since that, every car has had one.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:19 PM
dw8928
1st Gear
My Pure Silver came off the lot with the sunroof and that is all they had. I like being able to look up and see the stars and it zaps the hot air inside like nobodys bidness. Not to mention the bad air from my dog.

I got the limo tint on the panels the week i bought mine and love that. Cost me $50. That totally eliminates any issues related to the sun for me. I also got the heat reducing tint on the rest of the windows. Mine hasnt rattled at all yet.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:27 PM
tugboatboy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SilverRocket
You rock !!!

Old 04-17-2008, 04:27 AM
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SilverRocket
Yeah, but then when the chopper chases you and the henchmen start shooting the glass roof just makes it that much easier for them

Quick Reply: R56 Sunroof or No Sunroof?