R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Seepage, drips, oil consumption help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 05:58 PM
kevjandon
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seepage, drips, oil consumption help.

Sorry for the cross post, not getting much traffic in the R55 tread. I have a new to me clubman S. Last week when I took it to the dealer for some warranty work the SA said I was 2 qts low on oil. He said this is normal The car just had an oil change by Mini by the previous owner less than 1K miles ago. Anyway, I decided to look under the hood this am and take a better look at the motor. Seems there is is seeping around the head gasket on top of the motor to the far left and far right, it is wet. I looked under the car and two drips are forming (they probably drop when I drive) on the front and back of the engine case. I know this car had the chain tensioner fixed recently because I questioned the SA about why the car was so noisy. He said it was already fixed and the noise I'm hearing is normal much like the car being two quarts low after an oil change I'm taking it back tomorrow morning and lucky for me it is still under warranty. I'm looking for ammo to throw back at the SA's BS story that all this is somehow normal. It seems to me they've messed up the motor.

Waiting for your replies......

Old 11-08-2012, 07:42 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two quarts low won't make it leak. So you are right to question it. What mileage? No matter how it turns out, make a point of checking the oil every week or two, don't let it go for very long. The turbos CAN burn oil... though that is excessive.
Good luck!

Old 11-08-2012, 08:01 PM
outro
Neutral
Not sure how much help this is, but I had an issue with the head gasket seeping and the oil pan(replaced both).. But I never had my oil get that low

Old 11-08-2012, 09:41 PM
kevjandon
2nd Gear

The car currently has 33k miles. It is a 2009 but it wasn't purchased until June 2010. I think it is leaking oil, not burning it.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:22 AM
JoanieB
5th Gear
What I meant was that, once the leak is repaired, you still have to check your oil because the turbos CAN burn oil. Are you apprehensive that the dealer will be dismissive of the leak, that you need to justify fixing it? No car should leak oil around the head gasket if it is only a couple of years old. Do you have other dealers in the area? Do you have a decent independent MINI mechanic, who might give you a list of what they find is wrong, for a small fee, including the leak?
We have an independent who will go over your car, before your warranty is up, and give you a list of what the dealer should take care of. They will also explain to you, how to tell your dealer about it, for the best chance of it getting done. I think that their fee is under $200, and they know where to look... like, for leaking thermo housing, etc. You might consider giving that a try before your warranty expires.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 AM
mini on
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kevjandon
Sorry for the cross post, not getting much traffic in the R55 tread. I have a new to me clubman S. Last week when I took it to the dealer for some warranty work the SA said I was 2 qts low on oil. He said this is normal The car just had an oil change by Mini by the previous owner less than 1K miles ago. Anyway, I decided to look under the hood this am and take a better look at the motor. Seems there is is seeping around the head gasket on top of the motor to the far left and far right, it is wet. I looked under the car and two drips are forming (they probably drop when I drive) on the front and back of the engine case. I know this car had the chain tensioner fixed recently because I questioned the SA about why the car was so noisy. He said it was already fixed and the noise I'm hearing is normal much like the car being two quarts low after an oil change I'm taking it back tomorrow morning and lucky for me it is still under warranty. I'm looking for ammo to throw back at the SA's BS story that all this is somehow normal. It seems to me they've messed up the motor.

Waiting for your replies......
Forget about the ammo stuff and just let the dealer fix it.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oil consumption at or under 1QT per 1000 miles is considered acceptable. I check mine weekly or before n after some heavy-duty "Sport Mode" canyon carving runs with the local C3M club. Its quick n easy and a good practice.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:41 PM
kevjandon
2nd Gear
They're saying its the valve cover gasket......

Old 11-10-2012, 05:34 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Since it is new to you, I reccomend that you treat it how you want. Like others have said, check the oil weekly. And change the oil frequently, don't wait for the car to tell you when (it is usually 12-15k miles between changes). I burn about 1.5 quarts in 5000 miles between changes. Just fix what is wrong, after a little while you will be happy with the car.

Mike