R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MINI on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:32 PM
MINIgirly
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI on a budget

Hello once again,
I am a student who desparatly wants to follow in her fathers footsteps (his past and present) and get a MINI. I have a budget however, and it's subject to change via daddy. Anyway, I am loving Oxygen Blue and I want a stick shift, my budget it $24,000. What would you get? I have an idea for what I would get (about 8 configurations), I just want an idea to see if there is a general agreement with some options.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:47 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Why don't you tell us what you're thinking of ordering so we can better advise you? You should be able to get a very nicely optioned MINI for $24K.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:48 PM
byhsu
4th Gear
does that include Taxes and license? or is $24K + tax & License?

Old 12-06-2007, 12:04 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
You could get a fairly decent MINI Cooper for $24,000 without taxes, fees, and other nonsense.

You could get the Premium and Sport Packages, Xenon Headlamps and Fog Lights, Anthracite headliner, and Center Armrest and only be a little bit over $23,000. You could remove the Xenons, Fog Lights, and Anthracite headliner and save some money, but I do recommend the Xenons at least.

Nice colour choice too!

Old 12-06-2007, 12:41 AM
msh441
6th Gear
How will you be using the car?

Daily commuter?

Canyon driver?

Track day tool?

It makes a big difference in what options take priority IMO.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:44 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
For that budget I'd look at a nice used base cooper or cooper S.

Many to choose from beginning at $16,000 on up to about $22,000.

This would affect your car loan limits as you can deal more for new car financing than with a used car.

Don't forget cost of insurance and maintenance if new vs used.

For a student the base cooper will work very nicely.
2005 to 2006 base cooper with manual transmissions are good.

For Cooper S manual transmission
2005 to 2006 are good models to look at.

For new MINIs
Base Cooper with manual transmission without a lot of high priced options can be good. Skip the Sport package and leather. Sport seat option is nice. Heated seats are nice for colder weather areas. Skip the audio upgrades, sport suspension, metallic paint and sunroof.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:10 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Depending on where she lives, she may really want that sunroof, in which case I would recommend she get the Premium Package, which includes the auto a/c and the hi-fi, too.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:25 AM
glangford
6th Gear
i got everything I wanted in a new 2007 mini for 22,100.

Mini Cooper
6 sp manual
BRG
Bonnet Stripes
Cold weather package
DSC
MFSW
Hi-Fi
English Oak Interior
Sport Seats
Center arm rest

I didn't go any of the packages, except cold weather (didn't want sun roof).
You'll save 450 having oxygen blue (non metallic).

I feel pretty decked out. I stayed away from much of the high tech electronics, bluetooth, nav, etc, just something to break, although if you are ordering 2008 I'd have to consider getting bluetooth just to get the usb port option. With a 4 GB thumb drive you won't even need an i-pod.

Last edited by glangford; 12-06-2007 at 04:27 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:25 AM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
We just ordered ours at $23200 and it has all we need for my wife including automatic transmission, premium, 16" wheels, sport seats, Rooster Line and a few other things. It can be done on a budget and you will never be happier!

Old 12-06-2007, 06:44 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
You can get a hell of a nice Cooper for that much. Hell, I only spent $1k more and got all the options I wanted on an S

I would add a MFSW, cold weather package, a sunroof and maybe sport seats (never sat in the std Cooper seats) and be done with it.

Then I would use the rest of the budget to buy it some new rims to make it even more unique.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:56 AM
The Meal
4th Gear
There's a very recent list of must-have options listed in this thread. The list is complied on page 3.

Congrats on deciding on a MINI!

~Neal

Old 12-06-2007, 07:03 AM
TurboBlu
2nd Gear
Having seen many different O-2 blue cars coming through our dealership, i have seen some nice ones and bad ones, well in my opinion. One of my favorites 02 blue's was, Oxygen blue with black top, Sport,premium, cold. Anthracite headliner, Xenons, rear fog, Carbon punch leather, automatic. I don't remember how much it was though, and it was an 07, not the new 08 pricing.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:05 AM
TurboBlu
2nd Gear
My 2008 MINI Cooper

Base MSRP*$18,050Destination & Handling$650 paint
Black Roof/Mirrors $0
Oxygen Blue Body Color $0
packageCold Weather Package $500
Premium Package $1,500 10-Speaker. Hi-Fi Sound System Automatic AC Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof performance
Dynamic Stability Control $500
Front Fog Lamps $250
Xenon Headlamps w/Power Wash $500
Rear Fog Lamp $100
6-Speed Getrag Manual STD
16" Bridge-Spoke (Performance) $750
cockpit
Sport Seats $250
On-Board Computer STD
Anthracite Headliner $250
Leatherette: Black/Grey STD
Leather Sport Wheel w/Multifunction $250
Interior Surface Piano Black $250
MSRP AS CONFIGURED*$23,800

There you go

Old 12-06-2007, 07:35 AM
Diploman
3rd Gear
In my experience, the only truly essential options for a new MC would be:
DSC
Xenons
Cold Package
MFSW
HiFi

Nice but not essential:
Chrome Line
English Oak
Front and rear foglamps

Unnecessary:
Sunroof
Center arm rest
Auto A/c
Sport suspension

Just my biased view.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:20 AM
MINIgirly
2nd Gear
Yeah I figured I didn't give you all enough detail. I really didn't start at that budget, as a matter of fact my dad was like thats too much money for a MINI Cooper. He's always going on about how his 2003 MCS only cost him $22,000, including taxes, and everything, but I always ask him, "And how much have you spent since on that car?" lol.

Okay, it's for everyday use.
The cheaper the better, $24,000 is the absolute max.
Cooper - Oxygen Blue White roof\mirrors
Sunroof- Love them, I haven't touched the ac in my car since late September, I live in FL.
For the sunroof the checkered board graphic.
Matching trim for inside -dash and rear view mirror, not the side mirrors
Xenon Lights
Front and Rear Fog Light
Spoiler
Auto Lights and Washers
MFSW
Bonnet Stripes, and eventually have them painted on...
DSC
Maybe an iPod adapter
16" wheels

Last edited by MINIgirly; 12-06-2007 at 08:21 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 12-06-2007, 08:35 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Out of that list, the only things that I would say are unnecessary would be the Xenons (you can drive fine without them, probably have been for years) and the iPod adapter because the '08's come with the USB adaptor already in the car as well as an aux input.

As far as the bonnet stripes and roof graphic, you may want to consider going aftermarket to save a bit of money if you're into the DIY type of thing. Also, you can get a roof graphic that'll cover the entire roof instead of just the sunroof if you go aftermarket. You can also change the size of the checkers that way

Its good that you're staying away from the packages, they're really not that good of a deal and if you price them out separate you might save $100

Edit: Also, if you purchase through Morristown MINI for all your accessories you'll save a substantial amount of money.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...egoryID=102596

Old 12-06-2007, 08:48 AM
MINIgirly
2nd Gear
I didn't know about the USB port in the new 08. That just saved me over $300. My dad has been talking about doing the roof graphic aftermarket, that's when he did his. I like keeping the design in thr confinds of the sunroof . The only two packages that are really good deals are the convieniece package and the cold weather package. I would love to have the cold weather package, but I think I would only use the heated seats like four times within the year. Although on my dads car (not the MINI) I used the heated seats when I was sick, they were wonderful then. The 2008 Sport package is rideculous compared to last years.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:49 AM
jw34
6th Gear
Watch about the USB. You get USB if you get the Bluetooth which is pricey. The iPod is way too expensive, but probably convenient. You can get great sound from a iPod using a iPod to stereo cable.
http://www.provantage.com/cables-go-35508~7CBTY00H.htm
You don't get the listing on the radio or controls through the MFSW, but everything is a tradeoff I guess. It's for sure a lot cheaper than the adapter.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:52 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jw34
Watch about the USB. You get USB if you get the Bluetooth which is pricey. The iPod is way too expensive, but probably convenient. You can get great sound from a iPod using a iPod to stereo cable.
http://www.provantage.com/cables-go-35508~7CBTY00H.htm
You don't get the listing on the radio or controls through the MFSW, but everything is a tradeoff I guess. It's for sure a lot cheaper than the adapter.
Oh I wasn't aware that it only came with the Bluetooth option, thats ridiculous, what on earth do the two have in common? It should also be noted that I don't think the $300 for the iPod interface includes installation costs.

Still, the AUX input is nice enough, you just can't control it with your MFSW, which is a shame.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:00 AM
jw34
6th Gear
Yeah, pretty lame. I guess the USB can be for charging your phone. There are a couple of threads around here that talk about the USB/Bluetooth. And you're right about the iPod installation it can bring the option to be in the $500-600 range (varying according to dealer).

Old 12-06-2007, 09:14 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MY OB/W Cooper was under $21K and I splurged!!! I got DSC, sport seats, front and rear fogs, a rear spoiler, English Oak, and a MFSW (I think that's it)...everything I wanted and nothing I didn't. Truth be told you could skip all that and still have a fantastic MINI. I think I just had sport seats added to my '03 Cooper. Don't be fooled...a lightly appointed MINI is still super!!!

Old 12-06-2007, 09:16 AM
byhsu
4th Gear
OK, so I configured one for $22,215.00 + Tax and license should be less than $24,000.00

Oxigen blue with white roof and mirrors + destination $18,700

Options:

DSC $500
Xenon $500
Front Fog $250
Rear Fog $100
Sport Seats $250
MFSW $250
Sunroof $1000
Auto wiper/lights $250
rear spoiler $250
sunroof checkered graphic $165

For the rims, you can buy 17" wheels aftermarket. A nice design is the Mesh style wheels from ASA they are about $130/each

Old 12-06-2007, 09:33 AM
MINIgirly
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by byhsu
OK, so I configured one for $22,215.00 + Tax and license should be less than $24,000.00

Oxigen blue with white roof and mirrors + destination $18,700

Options:

DSC $500
Xenon $500
Front Fog $250
Rear Fog $100
Sport Seats $250
MFSW $250
Sunroof $1000
Auto wiper/lights $250
rear spoiler $250
sunroof checkered graphic $165

For the rims, you can buy 17" wheels aftermarket. A nice design is the Mesh style wheels from ASA they are about $130/each

Now that sounds awesome. Only thing I would add is the checkered dash and rear view mirror which is less than $300. You are so right about the rims.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Acrobatikdan
2nd Gear
I am in the exact same boat as you it seems. I am a student as well and have been saving my money to get a MINI and I am finally at the point where I can afford to finance one and pay for insurance.
My maximum is also around $24k, so picking the options I want has been extremely difficult (again, I have 8 MINI configurations and 3 S). My most recent decision is:
BRG Metallic
White turn signals
White bonnet stripes
Cold weather package
Premium package
Front and rear fog lamps
Xenons
Sport seats
Center arm rest
MFSW
Anthracite headliner
Checkered dash
Checkered mirrors
It all comes out to 23,678.

I have been lurking around these boards for about a month and seeing what is most popular and loved. I'll share my conclusions:
-Xenons seem to be worth it, and after reading all the praise I'm quite excited to see them in action :D
-The center arm rest gets a lot of flak for being cheaply made and in the way, but because my drive to and from school is 400 miles round trip I want to be comfortable. This option is still on the table for me though.
-Same goes for the steering wheel. With long drives comes the desire for cruise control
-The anthracite headliner gets a lot of praise from those who have it, and will hopefully go well with my planned Gotham gray interior (gray doors, black roof). I'm a bit challenged when it comes to fashion and design though, so if anyone thinks gray doors and a black roof would look odd, for the love of Pete, tell me!!
-I wanted DSC, but after visiting the dealer I was talked out of it. The sales rep I talked to seemed to be honest with me and told me it is really unnecessary and if you are a good driver and can control the car it's just a waste of money. Also my brother's recently purchased Jeep has a dynamic traction control system that is designed to do the same thing as MINIs DSC, and after driving his car and taking it on a sharp turn I really disliked how the car takes control. I feel safer when I have control of the car (and it's more fun) so I'm opting out on that.

Whew! Sorry for such a long winded post (my first one ^_^), but I just wanted to get my own two cents out there since we seem to be in similar positions.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:55 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Yes, I think the Gotham Gray and Anthracite headliner will look odd. You'll need to see the armrest before buying it I think. Most tall people can't even use the damn thing.

I've had two MINIs now, and I've taken long road trips in both. Neither had the armrest, and I don't miss it at all

Quick Reply: R56 MINI on a budget