R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 Looks Bloated

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:20 AM
dieselhead
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drive one of these all day and you will be hard pressed to find anything wrong with your MINI at all...

Old 10-18-2007, 12:53 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Yeah I get this all day:

The MINI feels like a dream when I come home!

Old 10-18-2007, 01:26 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
LOWER THE THING! Once it's dropped, the difference is much less pronounced. I was at a MINI club drive standing in front of my R56 while a lady and her husband were talking about the new car. They were going on about how they hadn't noticed any R56's show up yet and went on about how much bigger they were and how tall and fat they looked. I pointed out my car (lower than their Dinan S) less than 2-feet away and they were rightfully embarrassed. Except for the headlights, it blends in very well with the rest of the MINI crowd now. Low and tough looking IMO.
About to order some Mach V springs to solve that

I like the US version better, myself. I think the smooth seat faces will wear better than the stiched ones over time. As it stretches or sags, you can tighten up the smooth seating face pretty easily. I can't imagine that will be possible with the euro stiched style. Plus, in and out all the time, thats a lot of stress on the stitching itself on that seat face. I think it's fine for the back and thighs, but directly under your butt? No thanks.
Euro version was the original design. To me, it gives the seat the tuck-and-roll look it needs. And hides the puckering that the flat leather surface shows up soon after you sit in it. I'm delighted with the leatherette. Especially after sweating a lot at the gym. I'm lazy so never took care of leather when I had it. I had an Audi TT w/ baseball stitch seats. Now they were a work of art...

I'm 6-00 and have the seat cranked all the way down. The mirror sucks for me, too.
It's not so much that it sucks, but they prevent you from solving the problem with aftermarket or relocating the chip. What sucks is $400+ for a replacement.

...and that engine is sweeeee-eeeeet!
The one thing 60 posts agrees on (except for the lack of burble and supercharger whine. Who could fuss about torque from 1700-4000 rpm?

So, Cooper... drives a MINI Cooper... AND lives in Coopersburg? What are the chances!?!
Any ideas for a vanity plate? Maybe "HAT TRCK". Too bad Cooper Tires aren't so hot. There's another Cooper in Coopersburg who had a Cooper (He was related to the guy they named the town after). Then there's another Cooper, but he rides horses (1, not 175).

Is that a cop car you drive, when your not in your MINI?

Regards,

Old 10-18-2007, 01:51 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jascooper
About to order some Mach V springs to solve that
I'll be interested to hear what you think. They really look top notch. Unfortunately they weren't an option when I picked my car up. The down side to early adoption. The H&R's were special order from Germany at the time, too. They weren't oficially released to the US when I picked mine up. Benifits of having the H&R US HQ in your backyard.

The one thing 60 posts agrees on (except for the lack of burble and supercharger whine. Who could fuss about torque from 1700-4000 rpm??
I've found that a different airbox (JCW or otherwise) will really allow a ton more turbo whine to be transmitted into the cabin of the car. Mine just screams running through 1st & 2nd. Especially under overboost. I added a Forge blow off valve adaptor, too. Not sure if I'll keep it... but but to hear the turbo spooling and venting does add a dose of needed character to an engine that seriously needs it.

Any ideas for a vanity plate? Maybe "HAT TRCK".?
Or Cooper3... as in Cooper cubed. I like HAT TRCK better if you can get it, though.

Is that a cop car you drive, when your not in your MINI?
Yup. It's my office . I'm back on graves tomorrow and have to get re-adjusted tonight. Hence the late night surfing the web. Spent the last two weeks teaching performance driving at the track & had the next five days off after that... but tomorrow night it's back to the grind .

Old 10-18-2007, 06:32 AM
Rastven
4th Gear
I'll take some of the blame for kicking this off because of my response to the OP. I guess I was remembering this thread
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=113518
and one of my failures as a human is my short fuse for people that complain for what I perceive to be no reason.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:48 AM
beowulf777
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mini d
What is that? The Cliff's Notes version?
What happened to Cliff? He seems to have been replaced by some guy named Spark.

It doesn't matter what a car manufacturer does in a new generation, there is always going to be some one who likes the previous generation better and that is okay.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:51 AM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rastven
people that complain for what I perceive to be no reason.
good point. it is all about you

Old 10-18-2007, 07:16 AM
Rastven
4th Gear
It is always all about me. Geez when will people learn I am the most important person in the world.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:45 AM
eeterp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by CC
It's big-boned...umkay?

Old 10-18-2007, 08:56 AM
VeryRedMCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
Yeah I get this all day:

The MINI feels like a dream when I come home!
Ooh, that looks like one of those "police interceptor" models...I'll bet it's a hot-rod!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:11 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
I'll take some of the blame for kicking this off because of my response to the OP. I guess I was remembering this thread
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=113518
and one of my failures as a human is my short fuse for people that complain for what I perceive to be no reason.
If I thought the R56 was a dog, I wouldn't have started either thread. It's the fact that the MINI is so damn much fun that I feel the need to point out the little irksome things.

It's like living with the most beautiful woman in the world, one that makes you quiver everytime you see her smile; but she pulls the covers off you at night...

And you will respect my "authorit-tie"

Old 10-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Originally Posted by surfblue

Sorry for venting. I love my car, but as in a thread I started awhile back, some things really irk me.
NO, you're not (sorry, that is...if you were that sorry, you would have typed this personal grind and then backed up to delete it and moved on. If these things IRK you so much, you must not have any major problems in your life. Lucky you!

IF you have so many "personal issues" with the R56, sell it and go buy an earlier model. There are plenty of them out there as some owners trade up, and many of them have been extraordinarily cared for, as a Mini should be!

[/quote]

^ Oh Yeah! +1

This can of worms over the looks of the R56 v R50/53 has been going on forever!

Lets put it to rest for goodness sake! Time to move on!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:22 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I do agree with Robyn Casady that the Mini is a lot higher seating that you'd think. Which is OK. I drove a friends' Carrera recently and you practically have to roll to the ground getting out of it. In my Jeep I'd slide off the seat to the ground. I think it's Mini's answer to the "growing" America.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Rastven
4th Gear
If I thought the R56 was a dog, I wouldn't have started either thread. It's the fact that the MINI is so damn much fun that I feel the need to point out the little irksome things.

It's like living with the most beautiful woman in the world, one that makes you quiver everytime you see her smile; but she pulls the covers off you at night...

And you will respect my "authorit-tie"

I guess it comes down to not sweating the petty stuff

Old 10-18-2007, 09:49 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
I guess it comes down to not sweating the petty stuff
Now you know "one of my failures as a human."

Old 10-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Rastven
4th Gear
Hahahaha

Old 10-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Ruttrow
Neutral
As you can all see I'm new here. After reading 4 pages of what or which is better or worse I have to say, who cares. Forums are a great source of information and its a shame it turns in to this. I currently belong to 3 forums, this one as a new mini owner, a harley davidson one, and a detailing one. I'm seeing the same thing here that I see on the detailing site. The difference is there they want to fight about which wax is the " BEST ". We all buy things and wonder if we could have done better, we all buy things that we find problems or quirks with, that's life. I understand everyone has an opinion. Most times they are valued, other times they turn in to bash fest. My " opinion " is no need to flame. I now have learned to ignore most on the detailing forum and look the other way. Keep in mind that no matter how great you think something is someone somewhere has something better, all you need to do is ask them. Same goes for how bad. Have a nice day, or should I say Happy motoring.

Last edited by Ruttrow; 10-18-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:36 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Ruttrow
I currently belong to 3 forums, this one as a new mini owner, a harley davidson one, and a detailing one. I'm seeing the same thing here that I see on the detailing site.
If you're on the same HD forum I am, this thread would have ended at post #2. It all comes down to how strictly moderated they are. There's value in all styles of moderation. I think NAM does a pretty good job of preventing personal attacks, and rules violations. They're not here to be babysitters though.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Ruttrow
Neutral
If you're on the same HD forum I am, this thread would have ended at post #2. It all comes down to how strictly moderated they are. There's value in all styles of moderation. I think NAM does a pretty good job of preventing personal attacks, and rules violations. They're not here to be babysitters though.

I agree with what you are saying. I do not blame mods for what people posting are typing nor do I think they need to babysit. Mini, HD, or whatever I'm just after useful information, not 4 pages of mines better than yours. Like you said, I don't see this on the HD forum. Maybe its because they are gone before they get going or maybe because HD owners are " BETTER " then everyone else. That last line was intended as a joke. So those that were thinking of getting bent out of shape, please lighten up.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:52 PM
Rastven
4th Gear
Personally I don't see anything really wrong with this thread. No-one has ever insulted someone to a level that crosses a line.
People have differences of opinion and obviously different tolerances for certain issues. When we are able to understand that then we all benefit in the long run.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:52 PM
djam43
6th Gear
I like my R56 mini and my girls equally, a little extra meat on the rear end never hurt anyone

Old 10-18-2007, 01:15 PM
HABUTGO
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
R50~R99999 I love all mini/Mini /MINI's,
R56 Does Look Bloated!
I love the look of my R53. I hate how automakers change little here & little there for "new year Model" But for R56 they did change a lot?
Anyway I too think R56's Look Bloated!!! but I'd love to have one plz

Old 10-18-2007, 02:32 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you look at R50/53 right next to an R56, yes, one can spot differences. One might say "bloated," another might say "more aggressive," both to describe the same appearance changes. I will say that it is better, if at all possible, to not compare the two cars side by side at all. Why? Because R56 was designed to look balanced/properly proportioned on it's own merit, just as R50/53 was. Both cars made some compromises and designers worked/fought to make each look good on their own. Imagine if the R56 designers said, "Well we have to change this bonnet profile, so lets keep the beltline the same so we can save some cost by keeping the back end unchanged!!" No, they carried the entire design forward in a very sound manner to make R56 look good. Really, we are quite lucky they managed to change every panel rather than do a half-job. One can say R56 looks bloated...a fair observation...but a narrow overall perspective. Understanding the lengths the designers went to to work out R56 I think leads one to appreciate exactly what was accomplished. Since both, I feel, have excellently understated balance and poise, comparing each too closely, panel for panel, is a bit unfair to each car. Both are .

I think the OP made a fair observation...that he loves his R56 shows he gets the bigger picture.

Last edited by gokartride; 10-18-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:35 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
Errrr..... The beltline of the R56 was raised strictly to satisfy safety regulations. Not sure if it was Euro or US, but I think I remember reading it was Euro

Old 10-18-2007, 02:35 PM
gjhsu
5th Gear
Be fortunate this isn't the Subaru forum I'm on, where pretty much every thread of every sub-forum degrades into a pissing match within 5 posts. NAM is one of the most tame forums I've seen

Quick Reply: R56 R56 Looks Bloated