R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 Looks Bloated

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 07:40 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbhouston
If you don't like it, don't buy it.
I don't know if you are referring to my original post. If you are, I can only suggest you go back an reread it. If you can't make it through the whole post, I'll point out the pertinent section for you:

"I love my car"

I post on this forum for several reasons. Sometimes I have questions about the R56. Sometimes I feel that I can answer other people's questions. Sometimes I will comment on features I like or feel are unique to the R56. And yes, sometimes I will comment on features that bother me, or feel could be improved on.

Apparently some members here are unable to tolerate hearing things that they either disagree with or think that the R56 has reached perfection and there is no room for improvement. I find this rather unusual, since most of those people are searching for the next mod or alteration. If the car is so perfect why the need for further modification?

I was making an observation. That sitting next to a Gen I MINI, the R56 appears rather bulky or 'bloated' in comparison. Apparently the changes in design were to satisfy new safety regulations that mostly center around pedestrians getting hit by a MINI. How many pedestrians do you know that have been hit by MINIs?

Add to that a $1,900 option (Lounge Leather) in the US version of the car pales in comparison to the Euro version of the seats. Also due to some regulation that apparently only the US is concerned with. Good thing I didn't mention my ire that the diesel is not available in the US.

And although many tall people don't find an issue with the mirror, I do. I live on a road with a sharp downhill S curve, so it becomes evident to me on a daily basis. If I attempt to replace the mirror, and am not successful in relocating the chip molded into it, it will cost me over $400 for a replacement rearview mirror. The chip/circuit cannot be purchased separately, and the mirror cannot be disassembled to reach the chip ; it has to be cut open, and thus cannot be restored to stock condition when I sell the car in the future.

Maybe some of you can afford to shop for a different vehicle if they don't like a particular feature, but I am of the opinion that such a perfect vehicle does not exist, and I am willing to accept certain shortcomings in order to get those things I want in a vehicle. In the case of the R56, I wanted the torque and efficiency of the redesigned engine. If expressing my displeasure in those items I'm not happy with bother you feel free to ignore my posts. My ID is 'jascooper' not because I drive a Cooper, but because my name is Cooper. It won't change so it should be easy to remember.

But the typical response of "If you don't like it, sell it and buy a Honda" is getting kind of worn out. I have every right to express my opinion, just as you do. I am not attacking anyone for their opinion, and would appreciate if others would reciprocate, and not attack me for mine.

End of lecture, stepping off soapbox...

Last edited by jascooper; 10-17-2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:07 PM
pastabatman
4th Gear
Let's see ... You started a thread titled 'R56 Looks Bloated' in a forum frequented by R56 enthusiasts, got some negative comments, and now rant about the heat. Well done!

Old 10-17-2007, 08:19 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
I love my R56 but I envy the previous generation MINI's stance.
I don't mind the overall increase in exterior size but to make it proportional the designers had to cut the wheel wells deeper which also resulted in a SUV stance. The rear skirt is too short as it doesn't wrap around the exhaust tips like it should. I blame Bangle for it. I am sure he had something to do with that short rear skirt. @#%#^$#W$^!!

Old 10-17-2007, 08:22 PM
mini d
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pastabatman
Let's see ... You started a thread titled 'R56 Looks Bloated' in a forum frequented by R56 enthusiasts, got some negative comments, and now rant about the heat. Well done!
He is an R56 enthusiast! He owns one. He pointed out some things he didn't like about his own car and people told him to sell it and buy an R53 or a Honda! (I actually would advise him to buy an R53. ) You all can ignore the thread if someone complaining about a few things bothers you. And for you that have NEVER browsed the 1st Gen forums, come on over! You will see plenty of people complaining about things on their cars, we don't jump them for it. Sometimes we actually sympathize! (edit: Though not very often! )

Old 10-17-2007, 08:40 PM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the R56 looks odd from some angles, that's for sure (like the visually tall rear end). I wish I had the R56 motor, R56 fender clearances (235's fit) and the R56 seats in my R53.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:43 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think the direction of this discussion should surprise anybody because the OPs observations about R56 are not universally held and so there is a natural point and counter-point to the issues presented, especially given the level of dialogue already on the books about styling/design changes found on R56.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:54 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
the R56 looks odd from some angles, that's for sure (like the visually tall rear end). I wish I had the R56 motor, R56 fender clearances (235's fit) and the R56 seats in my R53.

I am trying to fit 225mm track tires on my R56 next spring. How should I go about it? Will I need spacers? or just low offset wheels?
I like my seats better than r53 seats too.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:00 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by r56mini
I am trying to fit 225mm track tires on my R56 next spring. How should I go about it? Will I need spacers? or just low offset wheels?
answering these questions would mean I'm being helpful and that's contrary to my supposed rep here (not to mention this thread) I can't let my fans down my helping out now

Originally Posted by r56mini
I like my seats better than r53 seats too.
I don't think anybody would argue that the new design is better than the old.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:03 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
I don't think the direction of this discussion should surprise anybody because the OPs observations about R56 are not universally held and so there is a natural point and counter-point to the issues presented, especially given the level of dialogue already on the books about styling/design changes found on R56.
A natural point coutner point is great, but these things usually fall apart soon. The OP made a statement and backed up with his reasons, never insulting anyone. Now how many of you can state you have backed your argument with reasoning and didn't fall in the "Jane you ignorant ****"* defense.

*For those of you that are quite young and not conversant in the best ever years of SNL please search the term using the quotes on Google.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:23 PM
mini d
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gnatster
A natural point coutner point is great, but these things usually fall apart soon. The OP made a statement and backed up with his reasons, never insulting anyone. Now how many of you can state you have backed your argument with reasoning and didn't fall in the "Jane you ignorant ****"* defense.

*For those of you that are quite young and not conversant in the best ever years of SNL please search the term using the quotes on Google.

Or for those of us that are old enough, we just turn away really quickly before dousing our laptop with a mouthful of water!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Spectral Glider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
Uhhh you do realize that the person who started this bloated thread owns an R56 don't ya
Uhhh, you do realize that this is in the 2007 forum and this thread seemed to bring in a bunch of 53 owners in just to talk up their cars. Again I say, great, hooray, good for you!!!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:58 PM
PGT
Banned
how is that the OP's issue or fault?

Old 10-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Spectral Glider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
how is that the OP's issue or fault?
What's the obsession with the original poster? I never said anything about him. I simply made the observation that suddenly the pre-2007 owners are all over this thread expressing their love for 53s and hate for 56s. Um, great, thanks, if I wanted 53 talk I'd visit that forum.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:07 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Spectral Glider
Uhhh, you do realize that this is in the 2007 forum and this thread seemed to bring in a bunch of 53 owners in just to talk up their cars. Again I say, great, hooray, good for you!!!
I'm glad you said "seemed," because I reviewed the thread and did not see "a bunch of 53 owners" talking up their cars. Maybe one or two R53 owners rationally discussing their opinion. So, strictly speaking, I can't dispute your perception of the thread.

However, I fail to see the need for sarcasm.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:13 PM
mini d
5th Gear

Speaking strictly for myself, I didn't come here to talk up my car (or R53s in general). I was making observations (or agreeing with those of the OP) on the R56. Since I don't own an R56 should I stay out of this forum? I was contemplating getting a clubman as a work vehicle, but I just can't get over the interior. A shame too, as I may be able to alter the appearance of the exterior enough to make it passable in my view.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:13 PM
PGT
Banned
I simply made the observation that suddenly the pre-2007 owners are all over this thread expressing their love for 53s and hate for 56s.
"Simply"? Hardly. I'm one of those pre-2007 owners and I've spewed no hate here. When you generalize you always get it wrong.

Um, great, thanks, if I wanted 53 talk I'd visit that forum.
nice attitude.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Spectral Glider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mauberley
I'm glad you said "seemed," because I reviewed the thread and did not see "a bunch of 53 owners" talking up their cars. Maybe one or two R53 owners rationally discussing their opinion. So, strictly speaking, I can't dispute your perception of the thread.

However, I fail to see the need for sarcasm.

yes, your Gen2 Minis are fat.
R56's do look bloated and the interior is comical.
I can't speak to the R56 interior quality, but my interior has no fit, feel or rattle issues. My tach displays the RPM's, what else is a tach supposed to display? Full panel of toggles (which are fine where they are) and full instrumentation (from the factory, MC40). As far as styling goes, it is light years better than the R56. All the R56 needs is mickey ears on the center column and it will be finished. The dash looks ridiculously chopped up with the disconnected vent pods and the serving platter in the center. It's like a geek that tried too hard to look cool for the prom. Lighting and storage? Maybe you should be looking at SUV's
Those were just on the first page. Sorry if I failed to see them as "rational discussion."

Old 10-17-2007, 10:30 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, then, we are all in agreement that the design of the Gen1 MINI is near perfection and the Gen2 is a miserable, bloated pig. Great. That didn't take long, did it?

Old 10-17-2007, 10:40 PM
mini d
5th Gear
Those were just on the first page. Sorry if I failed to see them as "rational discussion."
Two of those are mine and I will take full responsibility. The last one you posted were answers to criticisms of R53s. I didn't get upset about it, I just made counterpoints to his points. Rational discussion can include disagreements. Not everybody has to like the same things.:impatient

Old 10-17-2007, 10:41 PM
mini d
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tazio
So, then, we are all in agreement that the design of the Gen1 MINI is near perfection and the Gen2 is a miserable, bloated pig. Great. That didn't take long, did it?

What is that? The Cliff's Notes version?

Old 10-17-2007, 10:45 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
No need to apologize. I just wanted to know which posts you had in mind.

DOPAMINE's post-- he went on to make a joke about the American influence of everything getting fat, so I took it as tongue-in-cheek.

mini_d's post-- I agree, I counted him in the "one or two" R53 owners and the first quote might not be "rational" ("bloated" and "comical" are loaded words, after all). Your third quote is also from mini_d--but in the second quote he was responding to an assertion that R53s have interior quality issues.

I would still say that such posts are the minority in this thread and that I am more surprised by the reaction to jascooper's original post--namely, that if he's unhappy he should have bought something else, especially when he is, by his own admission, a happy R56 owner but still has complaints.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:48 PM
mini d
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mauberley
mini_d's post-- I agree, I counted him in the "one or two" R53 owners and the first quote might not be "rational" ("bloated" and "comical" are loaded words, after all).
Hey! I resemble that remark. In my defense, bloated I borrowed from the OP, comical was from my own diabolical mind!

Old 10-17-2007, 10:51 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini d
Hey! I resemble that remark. In my defense, bloated I borrowed from the OP, comical was from my own diabolical mind!
Such diabolicalness will not be tolerated!

Old 10-17-2007, 11:40 PM
miniphatty
4th Gear
I want the last 6mins and 2 clicks back It's good to see people so passionate about the cars they drive but but but...

Old 10-18-2007, 12:04 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jascooper
...sitting next to a Gen I MINI, the R56 appears rather bulky or 'bloated' in comparison...
LOWER THE THING! Once it's dropped, the difference is much less pronounced. I was at a MINI club drive standing in front of my R56 while a lady and her husband were talking about the new car. They were going on about how they hadn't noticed any R56's show up yet and went on about how much bigger they were and how tall and fat they looked. I pointed out my car (lower than their Dinan S) less than 2-feet away and they were rightfully embarrassed. Except for the headlights, it blends in very well with the rest of the MINI crowd now. Low and tough looking IMO.

...Add to that a $1,900 option (Lounge Leather) in the US version of the car pales in comparison to the Euro version of the seats...
I like the US version better, myself. I think the smooth seat faces will wear better than the stiched ones over time. As it stretches or sags, you can tighten up the smooth seating face pretty easily. I can't imagine that will be possible with the euro stiched style. Plus, in and out all the time, thats a lot of stress on the stitching itself on that seat face. I think it's fine for the back and thighs, but directly under your butt? No thanks.

...although many tall people don't find an issue with the mirror, I do. I live on a road with a sharp downhill S curve, so it becomes evident to me on a daily basis...
I'm 6-00 and have the seat cranked all the way down. The mirror sucks for me, too.

...I am willing to accept certain shortcomings in order to get those things I want in a vehicle. In the case of the R56, I wanted the torque and efficiency of the redesigned engine. My ID is 'jascooper' not because I drive a Cooper, but because my name is Cooper. It won't change so it should be easy to remember.
...and that engine is sweeeee-eeeeet!

So, Cooper... drives a MINI Cooper... AND lives in Coopersburg? What are the chances!?!

Last edited by msh441; 10-18-2007 at 12:09 AM.

Quick Reply: R56 R56 Looks Bloated