R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Your opinions on the options sheet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:27 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote=MRGTX;1799382]Greetings everyone!

Every week or so, I find myself back on Mini.com, building up another Cooper S! I am certain that this will be my next car but I am planning on making it through the CT winter one more time with my faithful and beloved Miata...

I have a couple of questions about some of the options and I would love to hear your opinions on any of the following:

1.) Hypersport or not?
My kidneys say no.

2.) Stability control?
DSC is innocuous till you need it. If you'd get ABS, get DSC.

3.) Seats
The leatherette is fantastic in the 07. Would get it again in a flash. No lumbar adjustment though. Cloth will shock you when you get out of the car if you're not wearing rubber soles.

4.) I wish the rooster red/black seats were available leatherette...but do the red door/dash panels look okay with black seats? (totally subjective...)
I'm looking at the cost of doing a little reupholstery. Black seats are actual two-tone black/grey

5.) Wheel$?
I'm happy with my web spokes, but next time will be aftermarket lightweight wheels for a LOT LESS $$$$. I was going to take my Dayton wires off my old Miata (same bolt pattern), till I discovered they're only 14"

5.)JCW goodies?
Which are the pick of the bunch? Is the Chasis brace worthwhile? Are the regular brakes all that lacking? Again...are they a good value compared to aftermarket equivelant?
Aren't the 07 R56 stock brakes the same as the R53 JCW brakes? Chassis brace won't fit if you get the engine kit.

6.) AUTOX!
Finally... as you can see, I am zeroing in mostly on the performance options. When trying to keep the car at the $25k mark, how would you best option one to do well as a STOCK autocross car?
JCW Suspension? I'm ignorant about AUTOX requirements though.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:38 AM
gjhsu
5th Gear
The best thing to do for stock autox class is race tires... load 'em up with air and set some of the best times of the day. Doesn't really matter the configuration of the car

Old 10-12-2007, 10:49 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gjhsu
The best thing to do for stock autox class is race tires... load 'em up with air and set some of the best times of the day. Doesn't really matter the configuration of the car
Are you permitted to make any suspension changes in stock autox, or does 'stock' mean exactly that?

Old 10-12-2007, 11:29 AM
MRGTX
1st Gear
Wow!! What a forum. This kind of community really speaks volumes for the car. Its similar in the Miata world (as Crashton would probably agree) probably for similar reasons. The Mini seems to be every bit as much fun and endearing and rewarding to own.

Thanks so much to everyone for sharing your wisdom. I am excited to learn more. :D

I am pretty much sold on the DSC now...

...and I LOVE that JCW aero kit. STLMini, that has got to be the most sinister looking Mini ever! Awesome stuff.

Last edited by MRGTX; 10-12-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:03 PM
gjhsu
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jascooper
Are you permitted to make any suspension changes in stock autox, or does 'stock' mean exactly that?
You are not allowed to change ride height or springs, but for some reason, you can do any shocks/struts. I don't understand that rule, but I don't write them either.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes there is the same love for our MINI's here as there is for our Miata's on Miata.net. I absolutely love having one of each. The compliment each other very well.

There is also a wealth of knowledge at both places & the same kind of great people.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:43 PM
FLKeith
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gjhsu
You are not allowed to change ride height or springs, but for some reason, you can do any shocks/struts. I don't understand that rule, but I don't write them either.
It does seem strange but I think the idea is that stock lets you change the things that usually wear out and get replaced - struts, muffler, air filter, spark plugs, tires. Springs don't wear out so you can't change them. The exception is the front sway bar - no idea why that can be changed!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:15 PM
ChiliXer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by FLKeith
It does seem strange but I think the idea is that stock lets you change the things that usually wear out and get replaced - struts, muffler, air filter, spark plugs, tires. Springs don't wear out so you can't change them. The exception is the front sway bar - no idea why that can be changed!
Yeah most all the allowances are with idea of things that eventually fail so people dont have to always get oem parts, plus those things could be tough to track. I think the sway is just the one bone they threw you to help balance the car. Not to worry MINI owners, there is nothing needed its excelent out of the box with even the normal suspension. R53s could benifit from an exhuast mod but the 56 seems to start with a good one.