R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Help Choosing Tires: Runflats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 02:57 PM
alicecooper
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I understand, after you correct the tire pressure problem, you have to reset the TPM system. I have only briefly read the owners manual, and this is my first intro into runflats, sensors, computers, tpm's etc. I used to have an MC with "normal" tires, using "normal" air and used a "normal" tire guage religiously. I really, really hate this overpriced, special order everything that does what used to take me 1-2 minutes once a week. (Pardon my venting).

I'm not familiar at all with the Subaru system, so I can't give you any further info on it. I'm still trying to figure out how to use this new radio. I much rather preferred my old cooper console.
In MHO, they should have put the computer controls and buttons inside the center speedo, and kept the radio as a totally seperate unit, as it used to be. I have taken my eyes off the road more than I care to like trying to figure out what my unit is actually displaying, and if I'm pressing the one single button that controls "everything" the right way. Seperate buttons for the different functions, inside the speedo would have been much easier to use,...IMHO.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by LannyMCS
I replaced the factory RFs with some 18" non RF Michelin PS2s, and even with the practically non existent sidewall, the ride is better. But, one thing I really miss is the instantaneous turn-in of the RFs; it really is a big part of the go-kart feel of the MINI.
And that is exactly why I continue to buy RFs. The turn-in is awesome, something you can't really duplicate with sidewalls that flex. The peace of mind doesn't hurt either.

As for the ride, I don't care... if I wanted a Cadillac, I would have bought one!

The additional cost of RFs will go down as they become more common, and clearly the technology is improving too.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:13 PM
alicecooper
2nd Gear
I am getting non-rf Hankook tires with the extra load rating, which gives me more stiffer sidewalls as a compromise, and more protection for the rims I'm getting.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:20 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, I've got a question for you--I've got almost mid-life runflats (OEM). I'm planning a drive of about 1100 miles in the near future. If I get a flat on the road, I'm not going to be able to replace the tire, right? And since I want to get non-RF tires anyway, this is going to put me on the road looking for a dealer of whatever tire I decide on (probably Goodrich g-Force). Hopefully I'll find them "locally," wherever that is, or I'll have to spend a day waiting for Tire Rack to send them.

This is beginning to sound like MINIs are "local" cars only, and it's beginning to scare me. How hard IS it to make a cross-country trip, without worrying constantly about tires. Anyone have to actually find a set of 4 tires while in an emergency like this? How hard was it?

And yeah, I HAVE had a few flats in the past few years...

Old 09-02-2007, 02:14 AM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same concerns, but I suppose if you had an RF tire that was damaged beyond repair you could have a non RF tire mounted until you could get a proper replacement.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:44 AM
javelina1
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
BTW, I'm carrying a Dynaplug tire repair kit, and a Continental Tire ContiComfortKit in case of flat tires. The ContiComfortKit seems to be similar to the Slime kit mentioned in another post, but much more expensive. I'm amazed that Amazon is selling the Slime compressor kit for only $25.00.
thanks for the info on the Slime kit. It's now $17 on Amazon.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:33 PM
rotohead
Neutral
Hi,
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread...
Are low profile non-RF tires more prone to damage from hitting a pothole than higher profile tires?

Marty :-)

Old 07-07-2008, 03:06 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by amazingrando
I have the same concerns, but I suppose if you had an RF tire that was damaged beyond repair you could have a non RF tire mounted until you could get a proper replacement.
Even though tire sizes can be the same you should not mix a non runflat tire with any runflat tire since handling would not be the same and no tire vendor would recommend it. If you got into an accident then you could be found to be responsible.

For non runflat tires with very low profile- such as 35 or 40 series as is found with 18" and 17" rims you can use these on smooth streets as long as you are careful not to hit a deep or large pothole going fast, then even a runflat tire could get damaged.

Non runflat tires in especially the 15" and 16" wheel sizes can be 50 and 55 series or taller and that does help to soften the transmission of force if you did hit a significant pothole. It's really more of a worry if your local roads are bad. When driving at night, on unfamilar roads or in wet weather always be careful and don't drive fast if you want to keep from damaging your wheels, sidewalls or suspension.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Kyran
2nd Gear
I have 17" Dunlop runflat tires on flame spoke rims. For me its about peace of mind, i dont want to have to stop for any reason especially not a flat. If youre not moving you are a potential target around here.