R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 I don't like it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The horse isn't dead...

as long as there are still posters who post items that stifle conversation. I'll keep beating the sucker till it's hamburger (horseburger?).

Matt

Old 08-22-2007, 08:58 AM
KnottyMan
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everybody likes what they like. I like my R53. Clubman, hmm. Don't like the 56 in general. But the only way to change things is:

1) Get a job at MINI as a designer.
2) Don't buy what I don't like.

The new models are out and they are selling so getting MINI to go back to the "classic" look that the OP wants is not likely.

Yes you can say you don't like it, but at this point, it's a bit late. Hence, dead horse.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:28 AM
stjoehawk
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mav
Given how closely the R56 looks like its predecessor, you must like the prior generation either...
Are there any pictures that have the two versions next to each other for comparison purposes? I've tried looking, but I didn't have any luck. And while I did find one series of pictures that had an R53 & an R56, the cars were in different positions within each picture, so there wasn't a good opportunity to see them from the same perspective.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Rastven
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
why did you post?

But really, there are TONS here who make very significant decision based on looks of the car. So what if one more did it and let people know? I actally think there are more of those that do cosmetic mods than do suspension and performance mods. God knows SEMA is full of crap to change the looks of the cars.

I actually haven't stated an opinion here about the 56 vs 53, but I really think comments stifling converstation have no place here, unless the poster did something inappropriate. Saying "I don't like X, Y or Z for reasons A, B and C" isn't inappropriat. If one don't think it's a worthwhile conversation to participate in, then don't. But "I think this discussion should be terminated" isn't fair to those that want to participate. It's very, very undemocratic. Why should anyone here be governed by another members judgement of what's appropriate content when it's well within site guidelines? That's why I keep posting in this thread, and I really hope that some will think about posts like some in this thread in a different light.

Matt
By confused us with people that care I really meant why is his opinion so worthwhile that it needs its own thread? I'm sure there are plenty of existing threads where he could have voiced his displeasure at the visual aesthetic of the R56 (but how's about you bother to drive the car before you write it off ).
I'm not trying to stifle his right to post his opinions but I do question the positioning of his thread.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Tharkun
6th Gear
Why ?

Folks if you notice, the OP has not made any further comments, so it seems his mission was acccomplished. This thread continues on and on and re-hashing the aruments made when the new models arrived, and defending peoples right to start non informative posts.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Methinks the doc is wrestling with an errant hair today.....

Old 08-22-2007, 10:12 AM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Methinks the doc is wrestling with an errant hair today.....

I almost ran over an errant hare this morning...

Old 08-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
"Kill da wabbit, kill da wabbit...."

Old 08-22-2007, 10:19 AM
rooandren
6th Gear
Originally Posted by stjoehawk
Are there any pictures that have the two versions next to each other for comparison purposes? I've tried looking, but I didn't have any luck. And while I did find one series of pictures that had an R53 & an R56, the cars were in different positions within each picture, so there wasn't a good opportunity to see them from the same perspective.
There's others somewhere out there, but I had this one saved. Mmm, horseburger.

Attached Thumbnails I don't like it.-minisidebyside.jpg  
Old 08-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Wow! I have to say, I'm impressed that there is actually that much change yet it isn't that obvious "out there."

Old 08-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Rastven
4th Gear
The R56 stands up more. I love both cars but the 56 is meaner for sure.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:36 AM
stjoehawk
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rooandren
There's others somewhere out there, but I had this one saved. Mmm, horseburger.
Thanks!

Old 08-22-2007, 10:41 AM
mcs22004
5th Gear
Originally Posted by r56mini
I am glad that the car is built cheaper. That means the engine is a real gem and that's where all the cost went. I like it....
That is not where the cost went.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:45 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Playing Devil's Advocate here, how are sales figures on the new gen? I no longer own my '06 S but loved it for the time I had it. I test drove two '07's with and without sports suspension and without a doubt, a new one for me would have to have SS. I suspect I will own another MINI in the future and it will come down to buying a new one, or searching for the perfect '05/'06 used one. I know just by drive-bys that both Houston dealers seem to have lots of cars on their lots, where in past years they almost always had no "stock" cars. Have sales cooled? or are there just bigger allotments now?

Old 08-22-2007, 10:45 AM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Can we close this thread after my post? Bottom line is: they're both great little cars, and they look pretty much the same inside and out, but when you step on the gas or pull up to the pump you notice a difference.
THE SAME HELL NO, the R56 is ugly the R53 is super sexy looking. I'll give you the R56 has the better engine, BUT THATS THE ONLY THING IT HAS GOING FOR IT. ok now you can close the thread.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ChrisW
THE SAME HELL NO, the R56 is ugly the R53 is super sexy looking. I'll give you the R56 has the better engine, BUT THATS THE ONLY THING IT HAS GOING FOR IT. ok now you can close the thread.
Now that you no doubt alienated a good chunk of your club members?

Old 08-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Grantakerous
2nd Gear
There's an old German proverb...."There is no bad beer. Some beer is just better than others."

I feel the same about Minis....I've seen some I like more than others, but I can't say I've ever seen one I don't like - from the classics to the r56.

Motor on!

Old 08-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mega72
honestly, I still can not tell which is which

if I see a clean MCS I really cant tell if it's an 06 or 07 the changes are minimal and you have to know what they are to know what to look for
A quick way to tell: The windshield wipers. On the pre-R56's, they are mounted on top of the sheet metal and next to 2 black, oblong vents. On the R56, they are mounted in the black cowel beneath the windshield edge of the bonnet (i.e., you can't see the mount point unless you are standing right near it).

Old 08-22-2007, 10:55 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
Please...

Please, I am officially the "sh*t disturber of record" for this forum. Leave the negativity to me, thank you.
As to the "look" of the R56...99% of people out there can't even see the difference. They must know something.
You've never driven an 07 MCS? Well, at least your opinion is well founded. NOT.
Oh, and I LOVE my 07 MCS. This from a guy who drove an original 62 Cooper till recently.
IF you want to start a P*ssing Contest, "I'm you're huckleberry"

Originally Posted by JDPepper
There. I've said it. I don't like the 2nd gen MINI at all. I must admit, I've never driven one, and I'm sure it's great. But I just don't like the look at all. Sure, the new grille is nicer, but those headlights are too far around the side. And the part breakup isn't nearly as nice. And the proportions of the rear are all wrong. I know some of the changes were caused by pedestrian collision regs, but most of the changes were to make the car cheaper to build. And they look it.

And then there's the interior. They decided that the two things I personally don't like about my '06 (the cartoony stalks on the steering column and the big elliptical ring on the door) were the themes they were going to emphasize on the new car.

I'm sure they are still a hoot, and I hope everybody enjoys theirs. I just really glad I got an '06.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:56 AM
MaxN
Reverse Gear
Originally Posted by mav
Given how closely the R56 looks like its predecessor, you must like the prior generation either...
Interesting....

I like my 05 MCS - there are a couple of details that irritate me sure, but nothing that I have not learned to accept and/or ignore in the last 60K miles.

the R56 ?

Well it is a better car than my '05, in almost every way, except I do not like the rear end treatment.

The seats are way better, the engine has way more low-end grunt, the fuel economy is massively better, the suspension feels better, the gearchange is nicer, but the rear-end treatment ? Nope sorry I am not keen.

The Interior is better, there feels like there is more space, that 'secret' compartments rocks - even if it is hard to open , the new leather feels nicer than the old and the telescoping wheel is a godsend. But, the rear end ? There is something horribly wrong with it - it looks like there is som trim missing around the exhaust, or its jacked up like a 70's hot rod. Sorry I really have a problem with that.

But again, the dynamics are better, I took one along my test route and it just plain stuck to the road and did not make a fuss at all, no crashes from the suspension, no shimmying just lots and lots of grip and feedback. I got out and stood back, took a long look and well my eye's where drawn to the back - sorry, but I really do not like that rump......

Old 08-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Spectral Glider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SteelersFan
Well, thanks for sharing (I guess) and good for you for liking your '06. Enjoy it!
Awesome screen name, a fellow MINI and Steelers fan! Best combination in the world!!

Edit: Oh, and, I really do like the 56. But both generations are cool.

Last edited by Spectral Glider; 08-22-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:58 AM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Spectral Glider
Awesome screen name, a fellow MINI and Steelers fan! Best combination in the world!!
...that means there's 3 of us!

Go Steelers!

Old 08-22-2007, 10:58 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Whoopty-freakin'-doo!!! Thanks for sharing.

I think my R56 can run circles around your R53 in every single way. There. Now I've shared my POINTLESS opinion.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
This is getting to be rather humorous now. A fun little thing.

Porp: I HATE THAT SAMMICH!
Peep: But, they are the same.
Porp: NO! They are NOT the same! One is fresher and newer, the other is older and moldier!
Peep: Uh,..ok,..but the newer one should taste better.
Porp: NO! I like moldy!
Peep: Well,..there is only so many of the old sammiches left. Once the are gone, they are gone.
Porp: But I LIKE THE OLE SAMMICH BETTER!
Peep: That is cool, but you are going to get awfully skinny wating for another one.
Porp: OK! BUT I DO NOT LIKE THE NEW SAMMICH!
Peep: And so.....?
Porp: I DO NOT LIKE THE NEW SAMMICH!
Peep: Yeah,..I got that. But why...
Peep: Uhh,..ok. Anything else?
Peep: How about a new drink?
Peep: <sigh>

I dunno. Just sounds a bit funny anymore.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:09 AM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Now that you no doubt alienated a good chunk of your club members?

Well when I was a member I never shared my views on the R56 with the club. At the time I think there was 2 members with R56's. Now that I am no longer in the club who cares what any of them think.

Quick Reply: R56 I don't like it.