R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Ack! My Interior Got Butchered!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:46 PM
siobahn
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ack! My Interior Got Butchered!

Would love if anyone has any ideas on how I can get this replaced, or salvaged, or something...

I got a KudaUSA mount (the top one on this page) to put in my 3-day-old MINI for my Sirius Starmate, which has some basic instructions about how to place it (along the right side of the center console), but it warned to only use plastic tools to gently pry open the panel. I didn't have any plastic tools, and felt nervous about doing anything myself, so when I was at the local Pro Audio shop today and the guy there said he could put it in for me... I thought, great!

So when he was done, I drove off - only to look and see that not only had the mount disabled my ability to change the climate control buttons (they were now stuck because of how he had wedged the front piece in), AND I could no longer open up the glovebox all the way, but to top it off - he had mounted it in the back by putting a screw right into the right panel (creating a big hole!)!!!!

Is there any way to get a replacement for the side panel (i.e. the right side of the center console piece? I am totally disturbed at the loss of integrity to my new baby :(

Or am I just being neurotic and crazy??? (I've been known to be both!)

As an aside, does anyone have any non-invasive suggestions for how to mount my Starmate? I'm not crazy about having a windshield mount, and the vents are not conducive shape-wise to any of the vent mounts out there...

Pics below...

Attached Thumbnails Ack! My Interior Got Butchered!-img_0282.jpg   Ack! My Interior Got Butchered!-img_0283.jpg  
Old 08-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Hattat
2nd Gear
Sorry to hear. You can always order the new panel from your local dealer`s parts dept.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:41 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Yes, a replacment panel can be ordered and is a pretty easy instal.

Seriously... what "audio professional" routes cable like that! He could of at least pulled the kick panel and the passenger side panel and routes all that stuff out of sight. Not to mention checking the glovebox operation and temp controls.

I, personally would be upset. But I'm a huge perfectionist.

I like that location, but there's gotta be a better way than that. If it were me, I'd try to put together a RAM mount. Maybe replace one of my visor screws with a RAM ball... or one of the crews in the cup holder and bring an arm off that. Somthing:

http://www.ram-mount.com/

Old 08-09-2007, 02:48 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
That looks like pure crap. I'm sorry for you. I'm using an XM XT Roady and I basically routed the antenna through the seams in the dash and then put the bulk of the excess in a nook above the glovebox.

My Roady just sort of hang out in my right side cup holder. Seems to stay put there.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:00 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, getting the replacement part is easy. But, I would demand to be reimbursed by the "Pro", too. Had he just mounted it with a screw and nothing else was wrong, no chance. But given you can't use the car's features, it needs to be moved. The shop blew it. Before you take anything off, go back and tell them they need to pay for the new panel.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:48 AM
glangford
6th Gear
I have a roady xt as well. Totally hidden, just sits perfect in right side cup holder. Antenna totally hidden.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:08 AM
Madoc
3rd Gear
Would one of you please post a photo of your cupholder mount? I really miss my XM.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:02 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Mine is not really a mount, i just seems that the roady xt in its cradle sits nicely in the cupholder angled toward me the driver. No special mount.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:14 AM
dstock
2nd Gear
That's crap! The screw is supposed to mount under the panel. I would demand a full refund or that they pay for the replacement panel.

I bought the pro-clip mount which mounts just to the left of the glove box button, no holes, very solid.

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpa...p_leftorright=

Sorry I don't have any pics, I will try to put some up this weekend. Currently I have my Garmin Zumo mounted to it. I ran the wires up under the side panel of the console, which pops off with no tools required.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:16 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Hacker!!

That "installer" needs a new title. His nickname is now "Hackjob". Next circus through town, that's his new gig.
You say, "When he was done, I drove off". You should not have moved a muscle until you inspected his "work" and approved of what he had done. And you should not have given him a dime. You were ripped off, and your car vandalized as a bonus.
Just to keep ol "Hackjob" honest...give us his name and where he works. He is best avoided. He's giving the term "pro" a bad name.
I'm serious.

Originally Posted by siobahn
Would love if anyone has any ideas on how I can get this replaced, or salvaged, or something...

I got a KudaUSA mount (the top one on this page) to put in my 3-day-old MINI for my Sirius Starmate, which has some basic instructions about how to place it (along the right side of the center console), but it warned to only use plastic tools to gently pry open the panel. I didn't have any plastic tools, and felt nervous about doing anything myself, so when I was at the local Pro Audio shop today and the guy there said he could put it in for me... I thought, great!

So when he was done, I drove off - only to look and see that not only had the mount disabled my ability to change the climate control buttons (they were now stuck because of how he had wedged the front piece in), AND I could no longer open up the glovebox all the way, but to top it off - he had mounted it in the back by putting a screw right into the right panel (creating a big hole!)!!!!

Is there any way to get a replacement for the side panel (i.e. the right side of the center console piece? I am totally disturbed at the loss of integrity to my new baby :(

Or am I just being neurotic and crazy??? (I've been known to be both!)

As an aside, does anyone have any non-invasive suggestions for how to mount my Starmate? I'm not crazy about having a windshield mount, and the vents are not conducive shape-wise to any of the vent mounts out there...

Pics below...

Old 08-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by surfblue
That "installer" needs a new title. His nickname is now "Hackjob". Next circus through town, that's his new gig.
You say, "When he was done, I drove off". You should not have moved a muscle until you inspected his "work" and approved of what he had done. And you should not have given him a dime. You were ripped off, and your car vandalized as a bonus.
Just to keep ol "Hackjob" honest...give us his name and where he works. He is best avoided. He's giving the term "pro" a bad name.
I'm serious.
+1

Old 08-10-2007, 10:26 AM
ncdave
5th Gear
That is not at all OK - he really did a botched job. The parts are available and he should certainly pay - I'm thinking small claims court - -it looks like even the pad he installed is now damaged just from opening the glove box. Good Luck!

Old 08-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
My starmate fits perfectly under the switches in the center stack. I used a 1" x 3" L bracket, secured to the underside of the switch bank with 3M industrial velcro (Radio Shack). Looks great and fits perfectly.

You can find the part numbers for the console replacement trim at http://www.realoemparts.com

Old 08-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Gold88
1st Gear
Wow, that's downright criminal. You should try the cubby, fits nicely. I recently purchased the divider that goes into the cubby and it fits purfect with the starmate.

I have recently cleaned my install up with the Center Console Organizer so these pics are a little outdated, but you can get the idea.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=99617

Old 08-10-2007, 09:21 PM
siobahn
Neutral
Well the good news is that I took it over to the auto shop and I told the owner what happened - he wants to make it right so he is going to pay for a replacement panel and they are going to do my full install for free (I actually had only asked the guy to mount the radio, not to do the full install with all of the wiring hidden and such - I didn't have time that day), so that is pretty cool. I'm considering going with the ProClip option for mounting now - I really don't think the Kuda fits! Though the cubby option looked good, I think I want it a little higher up... Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

Old 08-11-2007, 12:43 AM
plkdb
3rd Gear
Hiding the wiring SHOULD have been part of the original install not part of a "full install". Thats just good business. I used to work for Circuit City doing installs in my younger years, and I`d be embarassed to return a car looking like that. I hope you were polite but firm though, because its the best way to get good results.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:52 PM
dstock
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by siobahn
Well the good news is that I took it over to the auto shop and I told the owner what happened - he wants to make it right so he is going to pay for a replacement panel and they are going to do my full install for free (I actually had only asked the guy to mount the radio, not to do the full install with all of the wiring hidden and such - I didn't have time that day), so that is pretty cool. I'm considering going with the ProClip option for mounting now - I really don't think the Kuda fits! Though the cubby option looked good, I think I want it a little higher up... Thanks for all the suggestions and help!
Great news they are going to take care of the issue. Check my gallery for pics of the Pro-Clip mount!