R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Mean MINI drivers who refuse to wave back!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 04:34 AM
Silverbullit
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wave at all the MINI drivers I see, but seldom get a wave back. I also have had a Corvette for many years and find the people with the C5 and C6
Corvettes seldom wave. I guess their too busy climbing the ladder to success or have a cell phone glued to their hand and ear.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:04 AM
Applejacks02
2nd Gear
A bit of defense for those who don't wave

I am currently within a few weeks of taking delivery of my first MINI, and I think that those who don't wave simply don't know that they are supposed to. If I did not find this forum I probably would have never waved either. Now I likely would have picked up on it after the 4th or 5th MINI owner waved at me, but I really think these people are out of the loop. Now to open up further discussion on the people in Cali on there cell phones I have one question to ask: How do you shift gears while talking on your cell phone?

Old 07-09-2007, 07:21 AM
ncdave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by StoopidGirl
now I'm in small town NC where I think they just don't know any better.
Where are you in NC? We wave all the time!

Old 07-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Applejacks02
Now to open up further discussion on the people in Cali on there cell phones I have one question to ask: How do you shift gears while talking on your cell phone?
Automatic transmission?

Old 07-09-2007, 08:01 AM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Applejacks02
Now to open up further discussion on the people in Cali on there cell phones I have one question to ask: How do you shift gears while talking on your cell phone?
I've often wondered the same thing. When I got my MINI, I couldn't get the whole cell phone between ear and shoulder, right hand on the gear shirt, left hand on the steering wheel thing down. It got to the point that my cell phone would ring and just go to voicemail...I got sick of telling folks, "can't talk now, driving. Bye!".

Then for Mother's Day, Mike got me a TomTom 910GO. That solved my problem. BlueTooth is God's gift to gabbers. It answers for me and all I do is talk into the Mic...conveniently wired just above my head by the sun visor.

Why don't you people call me more often!?

Old 07-09-2007, 08:04 AM
dchautin
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MalteseFalcn
As one of the few Mini motorers down my way, I always get excited and give the "Mini wave" to fellow Mini drivers when I can spot them. But today I did it and the woman just glared at me.

M&th#$f&$ck$r!

Should they even sell Mini's to these people?? They have something for folks like this... it's called a BUICK!
don't wave at me either.....just cause you gots a mini don't make us best buds dude! kidding

Old 07-09-2007, 08:29 AM
valthun
4th Gear
I try to wave when I spot another driver. I have yet to get a wave either. Heck yesterday I spotted a classic MINI turning on to Purshing and I waved, all I got was a glare from the old guy.

I was down with waving since I owned a 73 Beetle in the past and would always wave at other classic VWs. Never got waves from the new lot of VWs though.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Applejacks02
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by valthun
I try to wave when I spot another driver. I have yet to get a wave either. Heck yesterday I spotted a classic MINI turning on to Purshing and I waved, all I got was a glare from the old guy.

I was down with waving since I owned a 73 Beetle in the past and would always wave at other classic VWs. Never got waves from the new lot of VWs though.
The guy driving the classic MINI just thinks he is better because he has a clasic MINI.

BTW I actually think its nice to have an excuse not to answer the cell phone while driving....Sorry "insert name of person you don't want to talk to" I can't talk and shift at the same time

Old 07-09-2007, 08:43 AM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
The folks here in Richmond are about 50/50 on waving. (not counting the folks in the club, they always wave!) A lot are (typically) talking on cell phones or just don't happen to see me, which is understandable I suppose.

I throw a wave all the time though, even if I'm in our Taurus or my current loaner...mom's Subaru Forester. Who's got two thumbs and looks like a loonie waving at MINIs? This guy!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:55 AM
at7815
3rd Gear
Well...here in Miami almost no one waves!!! However, the couple that have waved back have made up for the non-wavers because they were very enthusiastic

Oh...and I do talk on the phone and shift at the same time I hold the wheel with my elbow while I quickly shift. The only prob. is when turning and downshifting. Not that I'm on the phone all the time, but driving a stick does not keep me from using the cell...

Old 07-09-2007, 08:57 AM
mariokart64
1st Gear
waves n minis

my gilfriend hates being in my car because EVERYONE looks at us and smiles.. she also thinks im a dork for waving whenever i see another mini.. i dont care.. haha i even wave wen im on the freewy and i can barely see over the median to the oncoming traffic and i can barely wake out a mini! i wave! but the mini passes by too fast to even notice me .. oh well!

Old 07-09-2007, 09:13 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ashboomstick
The folks here in Richmond are about 50/50 on waving. (not counting the folks in the club, they always wave!) A lot are (typically) talking on cell phones or just don't happen to see me, which is understandable I suppose.

I throw a wave all the time though, even if I'm in our Taurus or my current loaner...mom's Subaru Forester. Who's got two thumbs and looks like a loonie waving at MINIs? This guy!
Yea, same here in Florida, about 50%. But I did have one guy in a Corvette give me the finger last week, for what I dont know. He was in his own lane and passing .. .. Anyhow I love your sig Irish Euro plate, translation "Kiss My A$$". . Do you have it mounted on your Mini?

Old 07-09-2007, 09:18 AM
unixgal
Twisty Road Lover
Originally Posted by StoopidGirl
California (same as a previous post) they're too good or on their cell phones
I still wave no matter what, some times I go out of my way to look silly and make them feel uncomfotable if they don't wave back.
Hey... don't lump all of California together. There are vast differences between Southern, Central, Bay Area, and Far Northern California. Not having my MINI yet, I really don't have a leg to stand on about MINI's.

There are issues with the "Motorcycle Wave" as well. There is the Harley/cruiser vs. Sportbike and Tourer wave divide... In the city I almost never get a wave back from a Harley, but out in the far off twisties, pretty much everyone waves if the other is on two wheels. I'd guess it would be the same for MINI's, better response when out of city traffic and on the open road. I always wave when traffic/attention to opposing traffic allows.

On a five day Motorcycle trip that ended yesterday, I got some bewildered looks from MINI drivers going the other way on HWY 1 near Big Sur when I waved at them

Old 07-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It seems as if a couple of years ago - every MINI we saw gave us a wave and we waved back...but these days, there are more NON-wavers... We still wave even if they don't.

One of our neighbors across the street - 2 doors down - has a MINI - the little booger (I think he's in college) won't even turn his head!!! I've even stood at the end of the driveway when I see him leaving and waved - nope - nada - no recognition at all...oh well - his loss!!!

Donna

Old 07-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Applejacks02
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by unixgal
Hey... don't lump all of California together. There are vast differences between Southern, Central, Bay Area, and Far Northern California. Not having my MINI yet, I really don't have a leg to stand on about MINI's.

There are issues with the "Motorcycle Wave" as well. There is the Harley/cruiser vs. Sportbike and Tourer wave divide... In the city I almost never get a wave back from a Harley, but out in the far off twisties, pretty much everyone waves if the other is on two wheels. I'd guess it would be the same for MINI's, better response when out of city traffic and on the open road. I always wave when traffic/attention to opposing traffic allows.

On a five day Motorcycle trip that ended yesterday, I got some bewildered looks from MINI drivers going the other way on HWY 1 near Big Sur when I waved at them
I think the main idea is that you will never develop a standard and have everyody waving. There will be classic MINI owners who refuse to wave at new MINI's, R56's that refuse to wave at R53's, and yes even Hydro users that refuse to wave at non-Hydro users (you know who you are! )

To another previous post ... that corvette owner was simply letting you know that MINIs are #1!!

Finally, I envy you unixgal, I can just imagine how sweet its going to be to drive the MINI through Big Sur!

Old 07-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Bababooey
1st Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
So then it's kind of like adopting a puppy from the animal shelter. I like it!
That's it! Instead of saying I'm buying a MINI we can say we're "adopting" a MINI. I can see the commercial for this already....

Old 07-09-2007, 09:56 AM
CUTiger3
3rd Gear
Here in Upstate SC the majority of folks wave. I have noticed when they don't it's typically:
Women - they must think when a guy is waving at them...it's flirting.
MINI Cooper - Non-S models. I don't know why...unless they are upset they didn't get an SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS j/k

Old 07-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Minidriven
1st Gear
The problem I have is they all go by so fast I don't have much time to do anything So I cheer.. yay another mini!! My hubby thinks i'm losing it

Old 07-09-2007, 10:49 AM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
Originally Posted by djam43
Anyhow I love your sig Irish Euro plate, translation "Kiss My A$$". . Do you have it mounted on your Mini?
Not so much anymore...

Old 07-09-2007, 10:58 AM
mufflethis
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ashboomstick
Not so much anymore...
Ouch! Someone got offended? What happened?

Old 07-09-2007, 11:01 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Lord Almighty, what a Kiss that must of been. Glad you had your "padded" underware on. Looks like a "clean hit" though. When did this happen. Are you back in service yet?. WOWA I just noticed your plate date , this must have happened very recently. Hope everything is ok now. Keep us up to date.

Last edited by djam43; 07-09-2007 at 11:06 AM. Reason: addenda
Old 07-09-2007, 01:09 PM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
Happened a few weeks ago ...https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=103998
Got a PW/B R56 that left Southampton this morning!

Old 07-09-2007, 01:35 PM
djam43
6th Gear
What a story. Did they end up totaling it or otherwise??. BTY, dont get rid of that plate, probably saved your life. LUCK OF THE IRISH.

Last edited by djam43; 07-09-2007 at 01:41 PM. Reason: addenda
Old 07-09-2007, 01:42 PM
trackster
5th Gear
When the Min was first around it was a unique car and the first owners felt more camaraderie . Those first cars were bought more for their performance or to replace a long ago owned original than more basic thrifty transportation as they are today. The motoring enthusiasts that bought them in the early days were more aware of the " waving " bond than the average motorer is at present . I wave and if they wave back its a bonus : )

Old 07-09-2007, 02:21 PM
MalteseFalcn
3rd Gear
To whoever asked whether it's a big deal...

...if they don't wave -- of course it is! The wave is in the Motoring Guide, didn't you see it??

Quick Reply: R56 Mean MINI drivers who refuse to wave back!