R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 buying then modding, what minimum options for performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:42 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
buying then modding, what minimum options for performance

I'm about to buy a mini cooper S new

what are the minimum options I should look at? Things like springs/shocks will be upgraded anyway, so I'm not sure the performance packages are what I should look at, other than the LSD

the only things I know for sure I want, LSD, sunroof, heated front seats, and xenons, it looks a little better to get the packages that add these things, rather than indivudual add ons

when I do the build page I end up with pretty much these options

cold 300 $
premium 1400 $
sport 1400 $
lsd 500 $
for a total of 24,450

this look about right? I think anything else I want I can add later

I'm not sure if DSC is good or bad, if I'm going to drop the car with lowering springs

is the hypersport package worth it? I cant really tell exactly what all it adds, other than the body kit

Convienience package looks nice, but I dont think I really need it, I still like manual mirrors, what is the "keyless go comfort" option?

Old 06-27-2007, 08:27 AM
Mgibrace
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did your options except leather for sport. Xenons as I love being able to see really well at nite, but didn't need the rest of the package. As you said, susp is in the garage awaiting delivery.

Maybe hifi sound as it adds an amp. Speakers are needed for many people and the hifi amp is supposedly ok at least.

Convenience package means no need to put key in slot before start button.

Best of luck.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:29 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Without the sport you dont get DSC, sport is thicker swaybars and different shock valving, and the DSC from what I can tell

I'm not sure if DSC is good or bad, I'm going to lower the car for sure, and some thick race sways

I really need to keep the car under 24000 if possible

Old 06-27-2007, 09:39 AM
JeffreyC
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Save back a bit more to spend on the ultimate performance upgrade ---- a couple of driving schools.

That alone will increase your enjoyment and performance of the car.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:43 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Originally Posted by JeffreyC
Save back a bit more to spend on the ultimate performance upgrade ---- a couple of driving schools.

That alone will increase your enjoyment and performance of the car.
ok, but should I get the DSC or not? I'm not really sure if the DSC goes good with H&R lowring, koni's, and some thick swaybars

I'm really not interested in driving schools, unless it gets me onto a track, and I could do that with the mini, or my M3, or my 74 2002

Old 06-27-2007, 09:46 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DSC is good if you have a stick shift - then you get hill assist. Keeps you from rolling back when stuck at a red light on a hill.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:04 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
DSC is good if you have a stick shift - then you get hill assist. Keeps you from rolling back when stuck at a red light on a hill.
ohh wow I had no idea that dsc did that too, that's gotta be handy

I live in flatland, but we do get to the mountains once and a while

Old 06-27-2007, 10:24 AM
70spop
6th Gear
If you're trying to keep the price down, skip the packages and just get the individual options that you really want. They can all be had separately, and even though the packages are a "good deal", you're still spending more money and getting things that you might not have felt you needed originally. If you're looking at resale value down the road, then having the packages might be an advantage, as they make the car seem more "loaded". The configurator makes it look tempting - "Get $600 worth of goodies for only $250" - but ask yourself if the extras that you're getting for that $250 are really things that you'd have ordered if they weren't in the package. If not, then you may have skipped a "bargain", but you've kept $250 in your pocket. Also look at items that you can add later versus them being required being built into the car. Things like the JCW brace, for instance, can be added after you have the car. The sunroof and DSC can't, so if you want them order them now.

For performance, I'd go for LSD, Sport Suspension and JCW strut tower brace. I'd also add the DSC as a safety (lower insurance rate) feature, even though I would probably switch it off nearly all of the time (personal preference - I always turn off my ASC traction control; the car drives better with it off). Even if you are plannning on swapping the springs, the Sport Suspension might be worthwhile because it also gives you larger anti-sway bars. And if you end up replacing those later on, you've still got the better stock ones in hand if you decide to put the car back to stock for whatever reason (like resale).

If you plan to get aftermarket wheels, don't order optional MINI wheels - that's one of the more expensive options.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:47 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
thanks 70spop, that's about what I was thinking, skip everything I cant bolt on later

I think the minimum is premium, sport, lsd, and cold packages for what I want, the cost of what I need from premium is about equal to premium anyway

everything else will be added later

Old 06-27-2007, 11:01 AM
PipercrossWeb.com
1st Gear
I would probably forego the sunroof if you are truly looking for the best performance. The roof adds weight and body flex, neither of which are ideal on a performance car. If you are going to get the Xenons and DSC, the Sport Package probably makes sense. Even though you will probably get some aftermarket wheels, it would be nice to have the factory 17's as a spare set. If you upgrade the brakes down the road, the factory 16's might not work. Xenons, DSC, and 17" Wheels add up to about $1650, so $1400 is a deal.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:34 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
I was gonna get factory 17's so I could have a set for track use

my wife really wants the sunroof, I dont care much either way

Old 06-27-2007, 11:15 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Sounds like a good spec. I would go for the sport suspension if your lowering it. A little more resistence up front against bottoming.

I would also add the Hi-Fi as it'll be a pain to mod the stereo early on and the stock is not good.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:52 AM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
I would also add the Hi-Fi as it'll be a pain to mod the stereo early on and the stock is not good.
Good point. The way the radio/cd is set up in the R56, it looks like it'll basically be impossible to change the head unit - unless you mount another one in a completely different location, like the secret compartment in the dash. I'd order as much audio as you think you might ever want with the car, 'cause adding anything later will be a pain, at best.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:36 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
I dont care about the head unit, it'll play my ipod that's plenty fine for me

all I will ever add is the JL adapter and amp/sub/speakers, but not anytime soon

Old 06-28-2007, 11:09 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
That is a fine list! You don't NEED anything else. The comfort feature is REALLY nice. I have it now, and had similar setups in my Corvette and MB recently. I really like it. Especially when carrying my next performance mod to the car. Makes it easy to open the door. Good luck! You will love the car!

PS: The sport suspension is a rip at $500! Only sway bars. Struts are the same (according to BMW/MINI sources I am not saying I am 100% sure, don't flame me etc.) So lowering the car won't be "better" with the sport. Save the bucks for the aftermarket!

Old 06-28-2007, 12:34 PM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
I cant believe how many more options there are on the configurator now, than what it used to be!!! Just adding the 17" wheels, DSC and the sunroof puts you at 23,800. Thats without the metallic paint too. PipercrossWeb is right about the sunroof. You should go drive both cars, and see which you like. The sun roof is nice, but then again if you are looking for a track machine, it does change the handling characteristics quite a bit. The DSC is also nice if you have to drive in nasty weather conditions at all. Theres my .02!!

Old 06-28-2007, 12:59 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
The sport suspension is a rip at $500! Only sway bars. Struts are the same (according to BMW/MINI sources I am not saying I am 100% sure, don't flame me etc.) So lowering the car won't be "better" with the sport. Save the bucks for the aftermarket!
I suggested the SS at this point primarily because I'm not sure how much aftermarket suspension stuff is available for the R56 right now. So far, there appears to be one set of springs (the H&Rs), but I haven't heard of anything else. In the absence of aftermarket parts, I'd get the heavier SS anti-sway bars. But yeah, if there better/cheaper/adjustable aftermarket bars out there, then I'd skip the SS.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:29 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dump the bulky runflats and get good Z-rated performance conventionals like Goodyear F1s or Goodrich G-Force Sports. That will be the one simple upgrade U can do that will give U THE most satisfaction

Old 06-28-2007, 02:25 PM
h20baby
2nd Gear
Don't stone me on this question folks but....If you don't use the run flats...doesn't that mean you will have to keep a spare in the back of the car. Which basically means haveing one rear seat folded down.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:37 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Should be getting this, a couple extra options, but it's in stock so no 5-6 week wait

didnt really need the leather seats or interior silver, but that's ok both are nice

and the tires will be swapped to 17" summer, no need for all seasons here

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Model 0711 Cooper S USD 21,200.00
Color 851 Chili Red Paint N/C
Upholstery T8E1 Leather Punch Carbon Black 1,500.00
Options ZCW Cold Weather Package 300.00
314 Heated mirrors and washer jets N/C
494 Heated front seats N/C
ZPP Premium Package 1,400.00
249 Multi-function steering wheel N/C
255†Sports leather steering wheel N/C
403 Moonroof N/C
534 Automatic air conditioning N/C
ZSP Sport Package 1,400.00
210 Dynamic Stability Control N/C
2RP 17" alloy wheels, crown spoke N/C
522 Xenon headlights N/C
2TA Limited slip differential 500.00
322 Comfort access system 500.00
327 White bonnet stripes N/C
382 Roof and mirror caps in white N/C
4A7 Color Line Dark Grey N/C
4BC Interior surface Fluid Silver 200.00
927 All-season tires N/C
Net Total 27,000.00
Destination Charge 650.00
Total Suggested Price 27,650.00

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 06-28-2007, 04:30 PM
dlroto
3rd Gear
looks like somebody splurged

Old 06-28-2007, 05:38 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
maybe not, I've not heard from the dealer, it's at another dealer and they are trying to get it transfered, it has all the options I wanted, and 1 extra, so it was close enough to not order one

Old 06-28-2007, 05:47 PM
jignozza
Neutral
Mini at the shore

I just pickup a 2007 S. I love it. I got the 10 speaker sound system.... A definite to have. Also the sport suspension with the all season tires. The car rides smoothly and handles like it is on rails.
I have most of the options including the leather lounge seats. The options make the car very plush and still very sporty. If you can afford it, go for what you can. But make sure you get the sport suspension with the all season tires and the 10 speaker sound system.... Good luck.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:06 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
no interest in all season tires, I definitly wan tthe sport tires

also skipping the 10 speaker setup

what exactly does the hypersport package come with? I cant decide if it's worth 1400, from what I can tell it looks like they dont even match the wheel arch to the kit

Old 06-29-2007, 12:37 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mega72
what exactly does the hypersport package come with? I cant decide if it's worth 1400, from what I can tell it looks like they dont even match the wheel arch to the kit
As far as I know from the configurator, it's just the sport suspension and the Hypersport body kit, and no, painted wheel arches aren't part of the package.

Quick Reply: R56 buying then modding, what minimum options for performance