R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Dash rattle @ 2k RPM...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dreman
so you came out OK in the end? Why are you so reluctant on on taking the mini back to the dealer for its rattles?
I don't feel like doing without it for two weeks, and with the run flats, I expect more rattles in the future.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:03 AM
dreman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Coffeeman
I don't feel like doing without it for two weeks, and with the run flats, I expect more rattles in the future.
Ah good point... the run flats, the tiny side walls and the stiff suspension all play a factor in this dash rattle deal. Ah well, I can get over it

Old 06-07-2007, 07:20 PM
celljay
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Evergreen
I used to think I had two rattles behind my dash, but after a search and destroy operation, I found the rattles were actually coming from the plastic trim down in the driver-side leg well and inside the depression under the climate system. By pressing my finger on the seams, I was able to find where exactly they were coming from. Seems that putting tape or some kind of deading material on the backside of the seams would kill the rattles.

Not sure if this would be the same rattles mentioned above, but if so, it's an easy enough self-fix. Sure beats having the mechanics take the dash apart.
Evergreen,

I seem to be experiencing the same intermittent rattles on the drivers side of the center stack. It comes and goes. Can you be a bit more specific about how you fixed your rattle? Did you remove the panel? Mine seems to stop when I press on the drivers side panel of the center stack. (Not a comfortable driving position!)

Thanks.

celljay

Old 06-26-2007, 06:12 AM
Swucker_Barnhue
Neutral
Originally Posted by Evergreen
I used to think I had two rattles behind my dash, but after a search and destroy operation, I found the rattles were actually coming from the plastic trim down in the driver-side leg well and inside the depression under the climate system. By pressing my finger on the seams, I was able to find where exactly they were coming from. Seems that putting tape or some kind of deading material on the backside of the seams would kill the rattles.

Not sure if this would be the same rattles mentioned above, but if so, it's an easy enough self-fix. Sure beats having the mechanics take the dash apart.
I have also experienced this minor rattle. Thanks, it is indeed the plastic trim on the drivers side of the center stack. The rattle comes and goes - in direct proportion to when my knee is resting against the plastic piece. Knee against it no rattle. I plan on fixing this (as mentioned above) asap. Thanks for the tip!

Old 06-26-2007, 06:27 AM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Swucker_Barnhue
I have also experienced this minor rattle. Thanks, it is indeed the plastic trim on the drivers side of the center stack. The rattle comes and goes - in direct proportion to when my knee is resting against the plastic piece. Knee against it no rattle. I plan on fixing this (as mentioned above) asap. Thanks for the tip!
Correct, this is where mine was making noise. I took the side panel off, and applied some self adhesive felt to the inside of the plastic panel...rattle gone.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:10 AM
Firebolt
2nd Gear
My rattle comes when accelerating moderately, (which is more often then not considering how fun this car is) its pretty late now, but im certainly going to check that plastic trim tomorrow hoping its the same problem. Thanks for the advice!

Old 06-27-2007, 06:10 AM
Joe Lapenta
Neutral
Joey

Took delivery 5/31 on my beautiful Pepper White MCS. Early on noticed two distinct rattles. One coming from the junction of the Speedo and the dash. Slight pressure stops it. The second, as noted in this thread, comes from the driver's leg well at the seam of the air vent and leg well. Again, pressure resolves that rattle. Two simple fixes. I traded in a Cadillac CTS for my MCS and will never look back. Still laugh when I drive.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:21 AM
Dubaian
4th Gear
mine has a rattle too some times.. but i dont have to blame anyone... but cali roads!

Old 06-27-2007, 06:36 AM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
I have a rattle around 2,000-2,500 rpms. For the longest time I thought it was coming from the dash, or even glove box. I drove around, without anything in the glovebox, and applied pressure to different spots (yeah, any rattle makes me nuts). I finally discovered my rattle, although I swore it was from the dash, was actually from the overhead controlls for the sunroof. The switch plate that houses the switch has some sort of low frequency vibration. It doesnt do it all the time, and I have as of yet to completely rid myself of it. If a passenger is in the car and hears it, 9 times out of 10 they will tell me something like..."you have a rattle in your dash", so I know Im not completely bonkers on having such a hard time locating it. If you have the sunroof, and cant locate the source, it may be from there. I also have the occasional windshield popping/cracking noise too. Seems to happen as the day starts to warm up.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:20 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the buzzing rattle near the tach at low speed while accelerating may be the chrome/silver ring on a vent. touch it when you hear the noise. if it goes away the dealership can fix it easily with something called dumdum and superglue.