R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Ode to English Oak

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:45 PM
emtrey
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exactlly, except I did not choose the wood wheel. Looks amazing. Congrats. Looks like another restless night's sleep.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:12 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Loui
I have the English Oak with Redwood Lounge leather, and grey colorline. I give it a C.
Post picture. What about the MINI's color?

Old 05-28-2007, 04:48 AM
oldtrojan66
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gokartride
It really is hard to see these subtleties in the configurator...and equally hard to see every particular combo (like this one) at the dealer...but if anyone is considering a similar set up I just wanted to report that it...is...good.
That was exactly my fear when considering a dark green soft top and dark green leather for my 06 MCSc.:impatient It is so pleasing when you see it in real life and it works! Glad you got what you wanted gokart!

Old 05-28-2007, 06:15 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by emtrey
I used the cream colorline to lighten things up/create contrast.
I always felt that this was the ultimate configuration MINI designers were going for as this setup was on public display at Plant Oxford. It's very nice. I could not do it in my own car...and that was a source of distress as I wasn't sure what other configurations would really work.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:27 AM
MINI Jackpot
3rd Gear
Here's English Oak w/ piano black and chrome trimline. Seats are black punch...

When people take a peek, they always comment how rich looking the interior is...and I can't argue! It's beautiful!

Old 05-28-2007, 09:42 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Actually, it just dawned on me that I'm the one who's going to have to face Clover next weekend in New Mexico and she has that blasted paddle!!!

(first for having no camera and second for quoting myself!!!)
If you happen to be in Santa Fe with The Unnameable v.2, I will take the blasted pix, Kartie! I do believe that in your opening post, you ought to have mentioned the fact that you lent your camera to your son who went to Australia, and would not be posting any pix.

Aren't there disposable digicams available at drugstores everywhere? AHEM....

Old 05-28-2007, 10:25 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
I will take the blasted pix, Kartie!
Ah, I'll be in a rental something.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:32 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by k7fdn7sg
Yes, this is what my interior looks like, except w/o the chrome ring bits!! Now I am out of trouble!!!!

I will admit, if someone (MINI or other) offered an English Oak shift ****, or an e-brake handle, or even matching flat panels for the center stack (highly do-able) I would consider such an option. As it is, though...the oak is not overdone and I'm very happy with things as they are.

In relation to oak with Redwood Lounge Leather, I can see where those amazingly stunning seats would/could easily overshadow the wood trim. When it is the only main feature, though, the oak really stands out.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Goldtoque
Neutral
First-time buyer...

Now I understand why there is a Cooper forum. So much to be said about the little guys. First new car I've ever had. It honestly feels great. I think I'm a little "over protective" of the little guy.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Goldtoque
Neutral
Basil is British racing green and that Orange-Reddish lounge interior. (named basil after basil Fawlty).

Old 05-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Goldtoque
Neutral
Oh yeah...I've got the English Oak. Shines, doesn't it....

Old 05-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Need
4th Gear
Thanks for the thead! I am planning to buy a MCS, and wanted to see what English Oak panel looks like. The mini site doesn't really show a good close up picture and the dealership doesn't have a single mini with English Oak in their 20+ inventory. I am still trying to decide between brushed alloy and english oak, but the pics help.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:03 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
gokartride, I have the same interior but went with the leatherette. I was going back and forth on adding the cream colorline but you seem to think it dosn't work as well and I'm inclined to agree. I just thought the more I added to the interior, the more custom it would look. You said you like the cloth and fits very well, IYO does the leatherette accomplish this as well. I didn't like the cloth as much as the leatherette but saw both very briefly. Come on, lets see some pictures. Thanks

Old 05-28-2007, 01:09 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by amazonracer
IYO does the leatherette accomplish this as well.
If it were me I wouldn't worry at all...various shades of darker black/greys look great w/ English Oak. The darkness was the source of my angst...turned out to be not a problem. If anything, leatherette will look even better because the door armrest is the same material, not to mention all the other bits throughout the cabin. My opinion...

Old 05-28-2007, 03:22 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
Thanks gokartride

Old 05-29-2007, 03:58 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Gokartride, we have the exact same interior, the only difference is I have leatherette sport seats. I love the look, very subtle, classy combination.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:33 AM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
And how great the Dragon is, too!!!!
Let me know when you and Skuuuzzzy are gettin' together . . .

I'm Hoooooome . . .

Old 05-29-2007, 07:49 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Originally Posted by k7fdn7sg
Here's English Oak w/ piano black and chrome trimline. Seats are black punch...

When people take a peek, they always comment how rich looking the interior is...and I can't argue! It's beautiful!

Wow - that is simply stunning!! I love it...very, very nice...

Donna

Old 06-01-2007, 06:20 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
I have the oak steering wheel (along w/ the rest of the oak trim) and in the process of sorting out new accessories have had a chance to drive several loaners w/ the full leather wheel. Naturally, they feel very different...the leather wheel feels more grippy, bulky, and direct whereas the oak, with its slick, glossy outer surface feels good, but for serious/competitive driving might not be the best choice. Of course, it looks great...and works well in my car!!

I think for those who may not have gotten an oak wheel at first, and have any doubts about trading out, you may want to see one and get the feel of it, especially since it is such an major point-of-contact w/ the car. I love mine and wouldn't have anything else...but others may feel differently.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:38 AM
Tiga901
1st Gear
[quote=AnyMiniMineyMo;1544739]Now I've got a real stumper for ya. How does the default no-colorline dark grey knee bar and armrests compare with the dark grey colorline that costs $200?

I was in the ame quandry, I cannot tell the difference from the website. But for $200, I figured out what the hey....It's better to pay $200 for the dark grey colorline rather than regret later on. I got the Anthracite headliner so I just want to make sure that it matches OK. I will not see my car until late July/early August so I hope I made the right choice.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:46 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tiga901
dark grey colorline
Ooooo....can't wait to see that! Post pics if you can when your MINI arrives!!

Old 06-01-2007, 06:49 AM
RhinoBob
3rd Gear

I think for those who may not have gotten an oak wheel at first, and have any doubts about trading out, you may want to see one and get the feel of it, especially since it is such an major point-of-contact w/ the car. I love mine and wouldn't have anything else...but others may feel differently.
Good feed-back. That's a debate I'm having with myself, and my dealer can't show me what the new one looks like. I may just stay with a redwood red leather one. But I always wanted a wood wheel!

Old 06-02-2007, 10:27 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Goldtoque
Shines, doesn't it....
Yes it does!!! The sun has finally returned (thankfully) to these parts and...in light of a worry someone expressed about English Oak looking fake/printed...let me tell you it looks great!! I think it's hard to assess sometimes in the showroom because the finish is so glossy...and it is oak veneer so the contours they've achieved might be baffling. However, as sunlight floats through the cabin all doubt disappears...the oak has all the nuances, character, and shimmer of absolutely real wood...nothing fake about it at all. It's amazing!! I mention this for anybody considering this option from the standpoint of one seeing it on a daily basis.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
*sneaks in , drops picture of Karty's oak and leaves*

Ain't it pretty?

Old 06-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Balact Man
1st Gear
has anyone had a steering wheel swap-out in IL? if so, which dealership did the work. i ask this question because i have a "we owe you a wood steering wheel" work order and have had it since late March. wondering if my MA is screwing around with me are not in saying "we haven't got any in yet". please reply.