R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Venture Shield

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 05:57 AM
Phil K
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venture Shield

Anyone know anything good bad or otherwise about this invisible bra product. The dealer/installer I found in the Dulles vicinity claims that they used to use the 3M product but there was only a 2 to 3 year lifeccycle + it yellowed. Venture Shield no yellowing and a lifetime (whatever that means) guarantee. It's also $350 cheaper than the dealers' associate installer for 3M.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Phil K
Anyone know anything good bad or otherwise about this invisible bra product.
I had venture shield installed on my R56 about three weeks ago. It looks good and it's hard to tell it's there unless you come close and look for it.

The place I had my clear bra installed used to sell another product and over time the owners didn't like how it yellowed on their own cars. They switched to venture shield and like how it offers a lifetime guarantee.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:38 AM
Phil K
3rd Gear
Thanks for the response. My local Venture Shield installer also said that they used to use 3M but due to yellowing and warranty issues, they switched. My MINI dealer is giving a lifetime warranty with the 3M product but is charging $995.00 vs $650.00 for the VS.

Do you happen to know if the VS warranty covers chip damage if a pebble makes it way through the shield to the paint? Thanks

Old 05-23-2007, 05:50 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil K
Do you happen to know if the VS warranty covers chip damage if a pebble makes it way through the shield to the paint?
I would doubt it...and it does happen (rarely). Clear bras are also a big help w/ bugs (and their guts)...I almost appreciate it for this as much as for stone protection.

I've had no problem with yellowing (Invisishield) but it does take a beating over a period of years and looks a bit pock marked if you look really close. The down side is that is doesn't look quite as perfect as the paint...the upside is that all that crap would have been hitting my bonnet and it does look very good overall. Final analysis...it's doing it's job and very much worth it!!

Old 05-23-2007, 05:56 AM
maxshrike0
3rd Gear
Photos anyone?

Hi There- Wondering if anyone has any photos of autos with Invishield or Venture Shield or any clear bra products? I'm curious to see just how "invisible" they are. (?) Can you see them in a normal photo of the car? Thanks!

Old 05-23-2007, 06:06 AM
Going Gray
2nd Gear
I took delivery on my 2007 MCS a month ago and, after doing a fair amount of research on clearbras, decided to go with the Venture Shield product. The primary reason was the individual who has been doing installations for years and now prefers VS as opposed to the 3M product he used to use. Reasons he likes it better are the same as others have said, yellowing and durability. Since the clearbra cost is largely labor, I think the difference in price you're being quoted is due mostly to excessive dealer markup. The only advantage I can see to having the dealer install is their greater liklihood of being around to fix a warranty problem versus an individual installer. But if the workmanship and reputation of your installer is good you should have no problem. Good luck whichever way you go.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:15 AM
OttoMannS
Banned
It is a good product. I have it on my MCS. VentureShield gives you a full lifetime warranty and if something happens to the film, they'll come and replace the affected sections at no cost to you. Make sure the installer fully backs the manufacturer warranty. Also make sure you get the version of the clearbra film material that has the UV protective top coat (This helps prevent the film turning dull and cloudy with age).

Old 05-23-2007, 06:17 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by maxshrike0
Can you see them in a normal photo of the car? Thanks!
No, not normally. You'd have to get at the right angle or very close to see a slight clear line running across the bonnet...often it is simply an interruption in reflections that one might notice. Six feet away, you really have to look for it. On the road...forget it, it vanishes. The color of the MINI seems to matter too. There were a number of pics posted early on when a lot of folks were deciding whether to install or not...haven't seen many pics lately. The consensus (among those who get a clear bra) seems to be that it's benefits outweigh possible aesthetic compromises. I've always felt is was a very good, purposeful addition to a MINI bonnet (if one chose to go that route). Yes, it is clear, but it can be seen upon investigation...it's clear properties are really meant (in my mind) to not detract meaningfully from the car's aesthetics. If someone does see it...no problem...a clear bra does a big job, but does it as discreetly as one could imagine.

Some problems with clear bra removal after long term use have recently been mentioned and that is very interesting. Upon consideration, I'm still not sure it outweighs the benefits, though. All I know I hated stone chips on my Indi Blue bonnet...after a wreck and a new bonnet I went w/ a clear bra and have been quite satisfied.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:25 AM
OttoMannS
Banned
The thing with the 3M film clearbra products is that they only offer a 5 year limited warranty. If something happens to your film past the warranty period, you will be screwed. The lifetime warranty for the VentureShield product was a great selling point to me. In terms of optical clarity, the VentureShield product is a lot less noticeable than competing 3M films and the protection against rock attacks is better because the product is chemically treated to provide greater molecular strength under most temperature conditions.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Phil K
3rd Gear
Good info, thanks for the responses.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Auto Paint Guard
3rd Gear
Hello Guys. Please Read this before you buy a Bra.

I've been installing clear bras for 7 years now and have installed and still install every product on the market today. With that said, Here is the information.

Film Warranty - The people that are falling for the lifetime warranty are going to be in trouble down the road. Only 3M and ClearShield film covers the installer for the film and Labor (labor being $150-250).... Where as Venture, Avery and LLumar only covers the film, leaving the customer with the labor again.

3M Clear Coat - the 3rd Generation film is going to be the best overall film on the market today by far. The first generation film is the only one that yellowed. Pro- Great warranty, it is the most durable film, if you scratch the film you can use Rubbing Alcohol to remove the scratch. If you do this with any other film you will distort the film and destroy the film. Down side is, 3M is little more expensive, it is harder to install due to a thicker clear coat and you can get stretch marks in the film if not installed correctly.

Venture Clear Coat - I have several rolls that I will be happy to give anyone. Pros- the film is cheap, clear with no orange peel, and is very easy to install. Cons - Scratches VERY easy, you can not remove the scratch, and bugs literally eat through the film whithin 1-2 days. I have this on my personal truck and the film is completly Yellow in 7 months. I have pictures to prove!!!! I like to use Venture only on garage Queen cars, that are going to be waxed correctly and only driven occasionally.

Avery Clear Coat - Overall a decent film. Pros - Easy to install, clear, strongest film on the market. Cons - Lots of orange peel, and can scratch fairly easy, but not near as easy as the Venture.

ClearShield - Probably my 2nd favorite film. Great Warranty, glossy, the best for durability. Cons- can be difficult to install on certain cars.

I always say at the end of the day any film is going to stop rock chips, some better than others. For the safest film for every day use, which I think Minis fall into this category, I would stick with 3M and or Clearshield.

Also recommend everyone get a can of Plexus which is a plastic cleaner. Only use this on your film and do not wax. Some wax's can turn the film yellow.

Hope this helps.

We can go over Pattern designs if you want. Just let me know.

Ryan Burroughs
www.autopaintguard.com

Last edited by Auto Paint Guard; 05-23-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Auto Paint Guard
3rd Gear
I'm sorry, I just have to keep going on this Venture topic. I'll probably get in trouble but I just don't want you guys going through the headache that i'm going through. (warranty claims with in 1-2 months of the film being on the car)

Venture came out with the clear coat last November. Ever since that time, they have been having all kinds of quality control problems, (debri in the film, bad roller lines in the middle of the film etc.) Now they have a new film that just came out with a cap sheet covering the film. This cap sheet protects the film from scratching etc during transit. Once you cut the pattern you take the cap sheet off. Hmmmmm If it scratches that easy why put it on your car???

This film may work well in other areas, but not in areas that have any acidic bugs. Also if you do have this film again wash the car VERY carefully.

Thanks

Old 05-23-2007, 07:17 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Thank you for the valuable input!!

Old 05-23-2007, 07:30 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
My problem right now is that I have a MINI all ready to pick up but the clear bra installer may not have the correct template for an R56 Cooper and therefore no film. Checking on this tomorrow. Apparently they'll use the 3M product.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:24 AM
Auto Paint Guard
3rd Gear
Hello. I don't think there will be a template for that car. Probably only option would be to use bulk material. Make sure the installer is well qualified to do this as there will be razors near your paint.

Good luck

If anyone needs an installer go to www.xpel.com and type in your zip code at the bottom right.

Thanks

Old 05-24-2007, 03:48 AM
Dubaian
4th Gear
Do anyone knows a good reputation installer here in LA or Culver City? that you would recommend me to go to.. am thinking of installing the roof graphics there too any recommendations?

Old 05-24-2007, 04:26 AM
Phil K
3rd Gear
Wow!!! Ryan - thanks so very much for posting that valuable info. I guess without realizing it I was going to be penny wise and pound foolish going with the Venture product.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:43 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I had my venture shield installed as part of a payment for a website I did for the installer. The installer uses both (3M and Venture shield) films and gave me the choice. I chose the venture shield.

I have Venture shield on my 02 MCS. The Bra has been on for approx 2 years now. I love it. I looks as good today as it did the day it was installed. My car is a daily driver and often bakes in the San Antonio sun all day long.

I can say that I have definitely not had any issues with the bra scratching. The product seems very resilient.

No regrets.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:28 AM
OttoMannS
Banned
I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion. In my experience with the VentureShield product, I haven't had any problems with the film material in the past 2+ years since it was originally installed. Looks great and has done a terrific job in keeping the front end free of paint chips. I guess it also depends on the installer. My installer is very responsive and quickly addresses any issues with the film or installation. For warranty work, he does not charge for labor. I am sure the 3M based products are of very good quality. However, I find it a little antagonistic for a reputable NAM vendor to come here and unfairly bash the VentureShield product. He has his opinion and I have my opinion. I think the VentureShield product is a very good bet for protecting your MINI investment. My advice to anyone considering a new clearbra product is not to automatically fall for the 3M films. There are other choices in the market. Do your research and compare. For me the VentureShield product represents quality, good value and an unbeatable warranty backed by a very respectable vendor in our community. You decide.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:32 AM
OttoMannS
Banned
Further, this weekend I took an 800 mile roadtrip and the car was heavely, I mean heavely bombarded by bug splatter. I wish I had taken a photo of the front end of my car... Yes it was absolutely disgusting sight. Took the car to a professional car wash and the bug splatter came off right off the front end, as it had stuck to areas covered mostly by the VentureShield bra. I was expecting to see the material completely ruined. ot so. The bug remains came off fairly easily and there are no traces of acidic bug splatter anywhere in the bra's surface. Another testament to the quality of this product.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:37 AM
Auto Paint Guard
3rd Gear
You are lucky. You have the non top coat Venture film which seemed to work decent, (it does scratch though.) (heat can remove some scratches) The non top coat film to the touch isn't smooth and collect dust easily. Use Plexus, it will help.

I wish Venture was the best at this time, it's cheaper, easier to install, and on day one it looks 10 times better than any film. I just can't get the film to last longer than 2 months.

Hahhha I swear, I just got a call right now from a customer with a black Lambo that wants his venture taken off due to scratches in the film. Other reason though is he wants full hood instead of half hood.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:27 AM
Auto Paint Guard
3rd Gear
OttoMannS. Sorry for me bashing Venture, and which I didn't attend to. I do use Venture on occasion on very high end cars due to easy installation and it looking great, (i think the best.) I also install the film when people request it, but do not give them a labor warranty on this film.

In the past 2-3 months I have received countless phone calls and warranty claims from this film which frustrates the heck out of me. I spend 2-3 hours installing the film to make it as perfect as it can be. I then get a call shortly after the install stating the film is being scratched, bird droppings won't come out, and the clear coat if being rubbed off. So then I have to go back to the customers house, peel the film off which takes roughly an hour. So now i'm out at least 3 hours of labor and now I am having to spend my money on a different film so I don't get a call back. I can honestly count 7 venture warranty claims in the past 2 months, well plus the Lambo call an hour ago. So that is 8 claims. 3M - None. The old Non top coat venture - Minimal call backs.

Wouldn't you be frustrated? Time is money and film is money.....

But yes I agree with you. People need to do the research on the film and make sure you find a High quality installer that will do the job right.

I'm just speaking from 7 years experience in this industry and thousands of installs.

Last edited by Auto Paint Guard; 05-24-2007 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:43 AM
OttoMannS
Banned
Ryan, no problem. You are a very knowledgeable and standup guy and appreciate you clearing up the air with your last post. I don't have any first hand experience with 3M film products, so I don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to praise/criticism of their clearbra solutions. I think the technology has come far in recent years and customers have great choices more now than ever before. I am a great advocate of clear bra technology and how it helps to preserve the beauty and value of your car on a day to day basis. Your input is valuable and that's why I remarked that you are a very reputable vendor in this community.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:52 AM
Auto Paint Guard
3rd Gear
Thanks and sorry if I came across the wrong way. It's just frustration talking. I love this product no matter what film it is and I love how well it works. All of the film companies will continue to get better as time goes on. The installers and design patterns will get better as well.

I have to do a 1 piece full hood and fender kit today. I didn't even dream of doing that 2 years ago. It's growing and has came a long way so far.

Thanks

Old 05-24-2007, 07:06 AM
OttoMannS
Banned
Full hood kit? That is something I would be very interested to learn about in the near future. Please post pics of the install.

Quick Reply: R56 Venture Shield