R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 location of DSC control unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 05:25 AM
blueskymine
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reverse light has constant voltage

Using Schwaben by Foxwell scan tool, trying to figure out some issues.

One of the codes: 5E31 / not present: DSC control unit, voltage fault, under voltage.

Does anyone know where the DSC control unit is located so I can start by checking the wiring/connections.

I've read in the forums about how critical battery voltage can be, does anyone have an example of at what voltage you start to see issues. Testing the battery voltage while car was running was over 14 and once shut off, 12.5 something, which went down slowly. I haven't checked the voltage first thing in the morning before starting the car, however.

Thanks all.

Last edited by blueskymine; 09-10-2018 at 12:28 PM. Reason: update title
Old 09-03-2018, 11:01 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Before you panic, clear out all errors, turn the car off, wait a minute, turn on and check for error messages. It’s quite common for the car to log some transient errors that go away as quickly as they appear.

If the error returns, then start troubleshooting.

In my R55S the DSC module was under the floor beneath the passenger seat.

You may want to check diagnostic instructions at https://www.newtis.info/

Old 09-03-2018, 02:55 PM
blueskymine
Neutral
Thank you for the response and the link, which is awesome.

I've cleared the codes several times and they keep coming back. I just cleared them earlier while the car was running, started to drive and the first code to appear, which triggers the amber brake light (which then stays on all of the time) and brake maintenance light - and the code is: 5DBF / Present: DSC reverse gear allocation error. It shows up after I start moving, at about 12 mph.

I can't imagine it's as simple as replacing the reverse light switch. I tried to diagnose the switch awhile back, and it seemed to be working (but I could have that wrong).

The other strange thing - around the same time that the amber brake light stayed lit, the reverse light stayed on the entire time I drove the car. Eventually, I took the bulb out, but not after it started to melt the plastic. The bulb has been removed since.

After reading all about the FRM, that was my first thought - causing both of these issues, but now I'm not so sure. I could replace the reverse light switch and go from there.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:25 PM
blueskymine
Neutral
constant voltage to reverse light

Paired with the 5E31 code (DSC control unit, voltage fault, under voltage) is 5DBF / present: DSC reverse gear allocation error. There is constant voltage going to the reverse light. With the ignition on and the car not running, and the light switch off (or on for that mater), the reverse light is illuminated, even with the reverse light switch unplugged. I removed the reverse light switch and with the switch unplugged, checked for continuity and the switch seems to be functioning as it should (press the spring loaded tip in, continuity - release, no continuity).

Would a faulty footwell module send constant voltage to the reverse light?

The Schwaben / Foxwell tool offers, under active test, a reset for the footwell module. Has anyone used this function and if so, did it resolve any issues or make things worse!

The other error codes present along with the ones mentioned above:

FRM2 Footwell module 2
A8C2 / present FRM: reversing light, right faulty
932C / present FRM: switch, reversing light, faulty

It seems all of these error codes showed up at the same time, along with the continuous display of the amber brake light while driving. To keep the plastic from melting in the tail light, I've removed the reverse light bulb.

Anyone have similar issues or suggestions for resolving?
Thanks.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:50 AM
blueskymine
Neutral
update

After many moons, installed used FRM today and it solved the reverse light issue (works as it should) and made the amber brake warning light go away, but I need to program / code the 'new' (used)FRM. (some error codes showing up that thankfully do not create any critical problems).

Can anyone recommend someone in the Philadelphia area that I can go to besides a dealer?

Thanks.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:56 PM
sub3622
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by blueskymine
After many moons, installed used FRM today and it solved the reverse light issue (works as it should) and made the amber brake warning light go away, but I need to program / code the 'new' (used)FRM. (some error codes showing up that thankfully do not create any critical problems).

Can anyone recommend someone in the Philadelphia area that I can go to besides a dealer?

Thanks.

Yes, i can recomend you one of the best guys in programming modules. Send me a pm.