R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Installed JCW Aerokit, no more DRL....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:37 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Installed JCW Aerokit, no more DRL....

I installed the front bumper of my JCW Aerokit this past weekend. Part of this install is the removal of the fog lights and DRL lights

Now, once everything has been put back together, both DRL (top part of the front fog lights) don't work. No chance that they both burned at the exact same time

Is there a plug somewhere that both lights plug into and could have come loose? Any hint would be appreciated

Old 04-04-2012, 04:56 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
In North America -
First off the upper part of the fog light is NOT the DRL normally unless you have changed it in the cars programming and MINI will not do that change for you.

DRL is done by turning on the headlights.

Now as to your problem it is doubtful that both bulbs burned out at the same time but it is possible. That is the first thing I would check.

Without having the wiring diagrams in front of me i am not sure if there is a single plug that would cause you problem. But if there is it should not be anywhere near the area you were working in to replace the bumper.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:39 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Up here, in the Great White North, DRL is both headlights AND the top of the fog lights (also know as the City Lights)

Headlights come on. Not the city lights. I'll have a look at it again tonight. I don't remember unplugging any wires, except for the external temp sensor and the bulbs for the 2 city lights and the 2 fogs

Old 04-04-2012, 11:30 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
According to all the programming I have looked thru "City Lights" are NOT on when DRL is set to ON. And in DRL mode with the light switch in the off position headlights and taillights are on. That is Straight from MINI.

Also there is a thread here somewhere where a Canadian from the Great White North changed the programming so that 'City Lights" would be on with DRL. He had to do this himself as the MINI dealer refused to do it as it was "not standard" for a North American MINI.

SO my question to you is if you start the car and turn the headlight switch on do the "City Lights" come on? According to MINI that is how it is supposed to work.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:06 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
ok, an update

1. Yes, both city lights bulbs were burned. Maybe I touched the bulbs when putting them back.

2. They do come on as DRL, same as the Xenons. Whatever the light switch is positioned to. And while driving around these past few days, I looked at other Minis and it'as the same.