R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 TC case or Puma case repairs / Ever heard of it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 03:18 PM
MiniJinx
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC case or Puma case repairs / Ever heard of it?

Just replaced my Clubman battery...It did not go well.
I ended up having a import auto shop that I have always used replace the battery (original equipment). Error messages popped up when the car was shut off and restarted.
They told they did not have one of the proprietary instruments that Mini uses to reset the unit they believed to be the problem. Took the Mini to the local BMW/Mini dealer. I called mid day and they informed that the tech who was working on it had just turned over to the shop foreman as he was "stumped".
Later in the day they called to inform me that they need to keep it over night again. He then told me they were going to turn it over to Mini USA for what he called a "TC case" or "Puma case". Something about using a data base to see if anyone else at any Mini repair shop has encountered this particular error.
Sooooo....what he heck is this?

I first posted about changing the battery here https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3352525 but did not get an answer I asked in the last post... so I thought would ask here

Old 09-08-2011, 03:35 PM
K20K1LLA
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=349739

Sounds like you stumped the dealer and now they have to check the knowledgebase for the answer.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:51 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Battery replacement on the MINI can at times be a problem. Unfortunately your dealer seem to possibly have incompetent techs.

When a battery is installed and the cables are reattached there is a shock that happens. This shock is caused by the battery terminal and cable being bumped together and disconnected for a second and reconnected. Kind of like a bounce against the post as you are putting the cable back on. This causes the electronics in the car to see a "shock". leaving the battery disconnected for more than 30 minutes normally clears this problem as long as the system is not shocked again you should be fine to go.

TC or Puma Cases are where the local dealer has not seen or has a lack of knowledge on a particular issue and they send to BMW/MINI corporate for more information. It is a routine reporting of issues. All manufacturers have these types of system with different names.

Good luck with getting you car back.

And just an FYI when the battery is changed on a MINI there is a system registration that is supposed to be done to re-register the battery in the computer. It is not a much do thing but on some cars with problems after a change such a slow starting it does really help.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:08 PM
HPP
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC or PuMA cases DO NOT mean we haven't seen it before. It doesn't mean we are incompetent. I'm a master tech at BMW and STILL have to submit the cases because either the parts are not in stock or there is some kind of TIS for the issue before replacing. And BMW/Mini/Rolls Royce will NOT release the parts order form or work order to the dealership until Corporate has reviewed the problem themselves. So the time frame from after we Diag the issue to when we have the go ahead is completely up to them. Minis are finicky when it comes to batteries and the modules. So if it glitched somehow, a TCE will most likely look at it and see things we can't see. So again to some of the guys above, its not incompetence most likely.

Last edited by HPP; 07-09-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:41 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Seven year itch scratched.