R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Mini ... Girly car?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 03:03 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I'll come out here. I've found that I'm watching more HGTV(Home & Garden TV) and eating more Chinese food. Is my MINI hobby really something deeper?

Old 02-15-2011, 05:23 PM
sequin
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by the matey
I know right? Here in az I see so many older woman in the s model. I feel like the only young person driving a MINI. Infact the other day I saw a r56 JCW (manual) so I parked next to it and a lady about the age of 54 comes out and gets in it, I was so puzzled
I hope you are being sarcastic! What's puzzling about a somewhat mature woman wanting to drive a sporty MINI?

Old 02-15-2011, 05:32 PM
the matey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sequin
I hope you are being sarcastic! What's puzzling about a somewhat mature woman wanting to drive a sporty MINI?

There's nothing wrong with, it was just puzzling because she drove a JCW.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
My 80-year-old grandmother had a Mercury Marauder. It was admittedly based on the Grand Marquis, but with a 300+ hp Mustang Cobra engine, 18" chrome wheels, and a relatively loud dual exhaust system. I agree that she wasn't a typical Marauder owner and neither is a 50-something lady with a JCW, but there are definitely stereotype breakers out there like that.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The other day a 2010 Camaro with one of the after market mega HP packages pulls into the post office. I wait to see who's driving it, a young Grandma type steps out. Go figure.

A friend's Mom bought a brand new towel rack spoiler '69 Dodge, only to trade it right back in becuase she could not see around the wing. He's a Mopar freak and it just kills him to tell the story to this day.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:51 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If your talking about the super bird, they are one of the rarest cars ever made

Originally Posted by MCS Fever
The other day a 2010 Camaro with one of the after market mega HP packages pulls into the post office. I wait to see who's driving it, a young Grandma type steps out. Go figure.

A friend's Mom bought a brand new towel rack spoiler '69 Dodge, only to trade it right back in becuase she could not see around the wing. He's a Mopar freak and it just kills him to tell the story to this day.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:27 AM
grgramps
4th Gear
Puppies, kittens and babies are cute! Why? Because they are small and for the same reason many people see the MINI as cute. If I were to let that bother me, I suppose I would need to keep it out of sight, as in the garage.

The first person to see my MINI was a friend of my wife. She said, "Oh, you bought a MINI - I think they're cute." And I replied, "And they are fun to drive too."

Old 02-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Joey Mojo
3rd Gear
An easy way to make a MINI look less girlie is to black it out.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:43 AM
LostinTX
2nd Gear
He He, A pretty bold statement considering how he was taking a chance on ticking you off. Plenty have said it, He has never driven a Mini, and he is trying to compensate for something. I have never been teased too much by my co workers or at all by anyone else about diving a Mini.
I work offshore on a production platform, a rough crowd to be sure. I fugure they are just jelous so I overlook it. LOL
If you are secure, it is mind over matter. The ones that matter don't mind, the ones that mind don't matter.
Hope you find a new ride soon.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
... , there are a lot of folks that think "if it doesn't have a V-8 and rear-wheel drive, it might as well be pink."
I'll go with that.

BTW, when my grandson was little, he would refer to this toy VW Beetle as a "mommy car". I kept correcting him, that his Aunt bought that toy for him, not his mommy.

It wasn't until years later, that I finally figured out that he was not meaning "mommy" directly, but instead "mommy car" was his way of saying "girly car".

So much for the thought process of a 2 year old boy in our culture.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:30 PM
zsqure
3rd Gear
"On a whim, I stopped in the Mini dealer and drove a Justa and a S. I liked the way it drove, fuel economy, and I could pass it on to my daughter who is currently 12 when she turns 16."

My exact scenario, made a wrong turn and ended up in front of a mini dealer, walked around and looked at the cars, got back on my way. Loaded up the family after dinner and drove the 1.5 hrs back up to the dealership and brought home our new mini which my son was to get when he turned 16. I sold the '05 mcs and ordered an '09 Clubman S. I can't think of a more fun car to drive.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:10 PM
OldLoad
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1. Hope you are OK. Have walked away from a totaled vehicle (not a MINI) and while grateful I could walk away, know it can be painful for a while

2. The sales manager is a certifiable loser and the dealership owner needs to know it is costing him business.

3. The only "replacement" for a Clubman is another Clubman; anything less is second best!

Old 02-28-2011, 06:12 PM
OldLoad
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zsqure
"On a whim, I stopped in the Mini dealer and drove a Justa and a S. I liked the way it drove, fuel economy, and I could pass it on to my daughter who is currently 12 when she turns 16."

My exact scenario, made a wrong turn and ended up in front of a mini dealer, walked around and looked at the cars, got back on my way. Loaded up the family after dinner and drove the 1.5 hrs back up to the dealership and brought home our new mini which my son was to get when he turned 16. I sold the '05 mcs and ordered an '09 Clubman S. I can't think of a more fun car to drive.
Lucky kids!

Old 02-28-2011, 06:31 PM
CoopedOut
1st Gear
Originally Posted by OldLoad
Lucky kids!
4 years is a long time, things could change.....

Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 PM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've owned a Mini and a Miata now. Both are "Girly" cars.

Now I own a "Manly" STi.

Funny thing is, I miss my Mini the most and would most certainly love to have another Miata. Guess I'm into girly cars then, heh whatever.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:11 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by amazingrando
I've owned a Mini and a Miata now. Both are "Girly" cars.

Now I own a "Manly" STi.

Funny thing is, I miss my Mini the most and would most certainly love to have another Miata. Guess I'm into girly cars then, heh whatever.
I guess that settles the great debate then.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:40 AM
wpb mini
5th Gear

chick here, and I would give my right arm for a JCW!!!!

Old 03-01-2011, 01:56 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wpb mini
chick here, and I would give my right arm for a JCW!!!!
Bad trade -- you'll need your right arm to work the gear shift...!

Old 03-02-2011, 12:30 PM
wpb mini
5th Gear
doh! . . OK, I will trade my left arm. Wait-how about my left ear? Then nothing will interfere with my ability to drive!

Last edited by wpb mini; 03-02-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: add text
Old 03-02-2011, 03:16 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
doh! . . OK, I will trade my left arm. Wait-how about my left ear? Then nothing will interfere with my ability to drive!
In the end, cash probably works better than body parts...

Besides, if you trade an ear, you won't be able to enjoy the JCW exhaust note quite as well...

Old 03-02-2011, 03:37 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Blainestang
My 80-year-old grandmother had a Mercury Marauder. It was admittedly based on the Grand Marquis, but with a 300+ hp Mustang Cobra engine, 18" chrome wheels, and a relatively loud dual exhaust system. I agree that she wasn't a typical Marauder owner and neither is a 50-something lady with a JCW, but there are definitely stereotype breakers out there like that.
That marauder was sick seen one in action take a mustang.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:34 AM
wpb mini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by timfitz63
In the end, cash probably works better than body parts...

Besides, if you trade an ear, you won't be able to enjoy the JCW exhaust note quite as well...

ok, you got me . . . I think I made my point, though

Old 03-07-2011, 11:06 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
ok, you got me . . . I think I made my point, though
Absolutely. Just a bit of harmless word sparring...

Old 03-07-2011, 11:43 AM
johnnydisco
3rd Gear
Bad approach if you ask me. I would have laugh and walked out of there in a flash.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:50 PM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CJ727
My 2009 clubman was totaled last week so I began my hunt for a new car today. While I was at a GM dealership (because my mom wanted to check out a terrain for herself), the sales manager tried pitching a car to me and I laughed and told him I drove a mini before so I'd only stray if I found a car better He proceeded to tell me it's because I'm a girl into cute cars HA! He said only girls drive minis.. I looked at him and told him I know plenty of guys who drive them and I didnt buy mine because it was "cute"... I got it because it had more to offer than other cars. Its versatile.. Compact yet roomy .. Great handling.. Great options to really customize it.. And better looking than cars its size! I was offended he called it girly! Wondering how many guys drive these cars and if they get these comments. Never really looked at minis as girly or cute...
This is just confirmation that there is a lot of misinformation and ignorance in the world.

Quick Reply: R55 Mini ... Girly car?!!!