R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Mini ... Girly car?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MINI's are cute. I'm a man & I drive a cute car, so what. I do not worry about what others think of my car. Enjoy your MINI & feel sorry for those who are too stupid to know any better.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:41 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CJ727
My 2009 clubman was totaled last week so I began my hunt for a new car today. While I was at a GM dealership (because my mom wanted to check out a terrain for herself), the sales manager tried pitching a car to me and I laughed and told him I drove a mini before so I'd only stray if I found a car better He proceeded to tell me it's because I'm a girl into cute cars HA! He said only girls drive minis.. I looked at him and told him I know plenty of guys who drive them and I didnt buy mine because it was "cute"... I got it because it had more to offer than other cars. Its versatile.. Compact yet roomy .. Great handling.. Great options to really customize it.. And better looking than cars its size! I was offended he called it girly! Wondering how many guys drive these cars and if they get these comments. Never really looked at minis as girly or cute...
I'm sorry to hear about your MINI. And the dealer just saw an opportunity and took a shot in the dark, but clearly took the wrong approach. I always like it when dealers make comments that are supposed to be derogatory and think it will help to promote their own brand.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:22 PM
proximal
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By the way, if people are going to be shallow about cars, I fail to see the problem with driving something that appeals to women.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 369 Likes on 312 Posts
HRM, wake up number 10, I'm dying to know what he/she/it/they have to say about it.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:16 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Girly car ??? Does he mean ( LIKE A CORVETTE)

*******************Does this look like a Girly Car ? ( or) can it also be a Manly car too?*************************************

********************How about These Mini'S******************************************** ************************

Coming in 6th. & 7th. out of 42 cars in the ST class at the Contentel Challenge in Daytona is excellent for any car. Especially a Mini (Girly) car.

***************************OH!!! A Girl did drive one of the Mini's in this race**********************************************

Last edited by ronnie948; 02-13-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Sauron
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by proximal
By the way, if people are going to be shallow about cars, I fail to see the problem with driving something that appeals to women.
Seconded. Girls give it and the driver a lot of attention!

Old 02-13-2011, 08:01 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Part of the reason for the "girly car" image in so many peoples' minds is that America doesn't have a history of producing small, sporty cars. As a result of the cars we grew up with, there are a lot of folks that think "if it doesn't have a V-8 and rear-wheel drive, it might as well be pink."
Good point. The Corvair could have actually been that car (my brother owned the Monza version), but we all know GM really didn't have the stomach to make something truely different work well, and God himself had to save us from being killed in them.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:18 PM
3pedalMINI
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ha! what douche bag, i cant believe he would even have the ***** to say something like that, especially if your mom is looking to by a car (i hope not from this guy) He obviously felt intimidated by you or something.

Any way, there are a few models, and color combination's that can surely be interpreted as a chicks car but i would have to say that 95% of s models are driven by men and 45% of justas are driven by women. maybe its my area but the majority is Men....and besides i think Mini is very much a mans car. just proves were not compensating for anything

seriously though, these are mostly mens cars, and most STFU when they drive/ride in one. Also, you should see some of the hot chicks that check out my/our Mini's

Old 02-13-2011, 08:22 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Oddly enough I see a lot of older ladies in MCSs around here and generally young guys in Coopers. It may have something to do with all the well-off retirees in Victoria, they all spring for the S.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Headlands
4th Gear
The dude's just a car salesman -- that alone takes any credence he has away.

I regularly blow away many American muscle cars in my MINI, especially when those "manly" cars get left far behind when the first curve comes up. If that's "cute" and "girly" then so be it. And whoever here said that it doesn't matter in the least what anyone else thinks is spot on!

Old 02-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Greg Davis
4th Gear
Well, I'm on my second Clubbie, as my '08 was totalled in Dec.

I'm 6'4", 200 lbs, and an ex drill sergeant. I'd lie to meet this salesman sometime and see if he still considered it a "Girly" car as I stepped out.

Now the new Bettle, to me THAT is a girly car. I RARELY see a guy driving one of those. However, from what little I've seen of the new version coming out, this may change.

Sorry for getting off-topic.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:50 AM
wpb mini
5th Gear
I also get p-o'd when people call my MINI cute! There is nothing cutesy about it. It is flashy yes, but definitely way more sporty than cute. The only thing that is even more moronic than people calling my MINI cute is people saying that I look cute in it just because I am small. I did not choose my MINI because it is small and I am small. I chose my MINI because it is fun as hell, and has awesome safety features, great gas mileage, and reliability!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 AM
pheatton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Tata Steva
OK, how about this?
If MINI is "girly" because women drive them, than Suburban and Escalade are even more girly as I see almost all of those with women (mostly "cougars", but still women...) behind the wheel...

On the other hand, I love my "girly" car. There is nice feeling when you catch a glimpse of a girl looking and smiling at your MINI...

Oh, let it be even more girly!

P.S.
I don't know I try to think that I carry my "manhood" inside or at least in my pants and not on my car's grill...

This is so true for the area I live in. If you think you have money you own a large SUV, have some of those little family stickers on the rear window showing how many kids, dogs etc you have, an OBX sticker and drive it like its a tank! These are also driven predominantly by women in their mid 40's.

I cant tell you have many times I was cut off by women in SUVs talkin on the phone, messing with the kids or just plain not paying attention. Its only gotten worse since I bought my MINI.

Although I must confess I do speed around those lumbering excuses for motor vehicles in city traffic hehe

Old 02-15-2011, 10:35 AM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
I get the "cute and good gas mileage" comment regularly. It's annoying until I again get behind the wheel. Its the most enjoyable ride I have ever had. It does it all......

Truly sorry over your accident. I hope that you are okay and that you find your "ride" again. Thanks for being loyal and a defender.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:12 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We looked at the GMC Terrain first amoung other cars, and our other rig is a GMC 2500 diesel crewcab 4x4. But all we had to do was test drive a MINI to be sold on the little go-cart.

Now a MINI with a white roof - Now that's a car for "Girlie men" as Arnold would say.

This thread sure stirred up some emotions - get over it - yes it's cute - yes it drives like a go-cart.

Thanks to that go-cart handling I have avoided 2 wrecks in as many months, one yesterday. Is a MINI just too small to be seen or what, yesterday it was some gal totally cutting her corner into our lane like we were not even there. I didn't even have time to honk, whipped the wheel to the right and thought for sure we bought it.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Raymazing
4th Gear
My car makes 247 (mustang dyno) whp on low boost, weighs 2880 with me in it, and beats the pants off of most things in the corners. Plus when my Tial opens up or my BOV pops off heads are turning. Girly? Hah!

Old 02-15-2011, 12:24 PM
MiniTron
3rd Gear
Only uneducated people say MINIs are girly cars. I am currently driving my third MINI (2009 Cooper Clubman), and my wife is driving a 2009 Cooper S Clubman.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:40 PM
JS02
Neutral
I think Jay Leno said it best "lots of guys have very fast muscle and sports cars but the prefer to drive their mini" I have a 4X4 truck and a camaro SS. I prefer to drive the mini. Besides women never turn down a chance to ride in a mini.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:54 PM
the matey
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
Oddly enough I see a lot of older ladies in MCSs around here and generally young guys in Coopers. It may have something to do with all the well-off retirees in Victoria, they all spring for the S.
I know right? Here in az I see so many older woman in the s model. I feel like the only young person driving a MINI. Infact the other day I saw a r56 JCW (manual) so I parked next to it and a lady about the age of 54 comes out and gets in it, I was so puzzled

Old 02-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Keyser_Soze
3rd Gear
Well, you know the old joke don't you?

How can you tell if a car salesman is lying? His lips are moving...

Probably never sat in a MINI much less drove one... After all, they are cute wittle cars for cute wittle girls...

Old 02-15-2011, 01:29 PM
pheatton
5th Gear
I must admit there are quite a few MINIs driven by very cute women in my area.

Like the barista at my local Starbucks...

Old 02-15-2011, 01:40 PM
SkaBob
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Greg Davis
Now the new Bettle, to me THAT is a girly car. I RARELY see a guy driving one of those. However, from what little I've seen of the new version coming out, this may change.
Hey now...I had a 2000 Turbo Beetle, and that thing was WICKED fun! The ride in it is what made me consider the MINI more than just saying the ones I saw every day looked neat...

Now I've got a Clubman S on the way (OMG CAN'T THEY MAKE CARGO SHIPS FASTER?!)...

One thing I'll say for sure... I got more girls interested in my Beetle than any other car I've ridden in.

Can''t say the stretched front end of the new one does much for me. Sure, it looks more like the old ones, but a longer wheelbase is only going to hurt the handling on that car...

Old 02-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by MCS Fever
Now a MINI with a white roof - Now that's a car for "Girlie men" as Arnold would say.

White roof is classic/traditional for MINIs.

Originally Posted by Raymazing
My car makes 247 (mustang dyno) whp on low boost, weighs 2880 with me in it, and beats the pants off of most things in the corners. Plus when my Tial opens up or my BOV pops off heads are turning. Girly? Hah!
I don't suppose you did a track day at Sebring last summer? The description is your sig sounds a LOT like the Lightning Blue Clubby I was chasing for a few laps.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can say that i have yet to hear the cute comment

I will say however that being said... i always get some type of comment when i fill up... and i will say that i hesitantly await the cute comment hahaha.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 369 Likes on 312 Posts
From an ages ago lecture on rhetoric and fallacies thereof came this gem: "All Indians walk in single file because the one that I saw did". It works well until the subject of car salesmen or who drives MINIs comes up.

Quick Reply: R55 Mini ... Girly car?!!!