R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Salvage Clubman back on the road

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 03:59 AM
n559br
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salvage Clubman back on the road

I've been working on this car for 3 months now and finally got the state approval to get the car registered last week. SInce it was water damaged only that process was pretty painless. However the Mini electrical system is a pain to work with. The WDS is pretty good until you start trying to diagnose certain functions only to discover that the pinout diagrams do not match the pins shown on some schematics. Also learned not to try tracking down anything until the car has been programmed. I probably have some of the most unneeded arcane knowledge ot the Mini Electrical system in the US by now.

Here's the list of the replaced parts and other work needed to bring TP98476 back to life.

Replaced JBE and replaced whole connectors by splicing and soldering all the circuits.

Replaced the FRM and had to replace any high current contacts since they had corroded and caused these 40 amp circuits to open. These are mainly the High Amperage headlight circuits. Replaced several suspect contacts with new assemblies from BMW.

Replaced the MCS module since none of the seatr belt functions worked properly.

Replaced the alternator with an Ebay used model.

Replaced the Drivers door latch

Replaced the Right Split Door latch

Replaced numerous ground circuits

Ordered 2 sets of keys.

Had dealer do a full program of the car and perform a state inspection.

All I can say is if your car goes underwater please disconnect the battery as soon as practical. Even though the work was tedious it was not difficult. I was able to procure all the parts and perform the work myself except for the programming.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:46 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Impressive work. Congratulations!

Old 03-30-2010, 08:49 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Congrats on your success!

I'm curious why you did this, was it your car or did you buy it this way?

Usually an underwater car is a total since the electrical is so complicated and expensive to fix, and unreliable after that. How far underwater did it go?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:11 AM
n559br
1st Gear
I bought it that way. Pretty good deal to find a 2009 with only 1900 miles for a pretty good price. I could see the water line on the fuse box cover in the left footwell. It looked to only make it to the door sill. So having a bad case of cabin fever I figured it to be a good winter project. The only thing complicated about the work was figuring out the MINI schematics. They are pretty convoluted and the browser is the pits. Other than that you end up replacing the Body Control Module and a couple of other components. I cleaned all the contacts thoroughly and verified the CAN bus was functioning properly so really no worries. The thing programmed up first time so I must have done something right.

You have to remember just because the insurance company says it's a total doesn't mean it can't be fixed and returned to perfect condition. I ended up spending about $500 more than expected mainly due to the air bag ECU and a set of keys.

The body and undercarriage are perfect and there's nothing at all wrong with the engine except for some scale which I'm going to power wash off this week.

I've put about 400 miles on it and runs great and still smells new inside. Which I attribute to the cold winter and getting the carpet pulled out and completely dried.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:40 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My experience with underwater cars is that things will corrode continuously from here on out, internally in the wires and switches and so on, unless you replaced them all. That's why the insurance companies total them, cause they figure the car will never be reliable again and they'll just be paying forever on it.

I hope you have better luck with yours.....you certainly did a man's job getting it sorted out, that's for sure.

Did you get it insured too?

Old 03-30-2010, 11:10 AM
SidSwiftsteel
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by n559br

All I can say is if your car goes underwater please disconnect the battery as soon as practical.
Practical meaning out of the water

Old 03-30-2010, 12:07 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by n559br
I bought it that way. Pretty good deal to find a 2009 with only 1900 miles for a pretty good price.
OK, if you don't mind me asking what is the "good deal" on a MINI Submarine going for these days?

Old 03-30-2010, 12:51 PM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Good deal. Awesome job! Make sure you (or the inspectors) check the wheel hubs, bearings, and other mechanical parts for rust as I had to have this stuff replaced......

Richmond, VA circa 2004

My 2003 MCS JCW, which was parked in front of my house in the street at the time, FLOODED with the torrential rains we had in the aftermath of Hurricane Isabel. $9,200 worth of damage --> my $250 deductible plus $8,950 from Nationwide Insurance.

For some freak reason, the drains in my neighborhood got clogged and the water couldn't drain probably and quickly flooded maybe 12-15 inches above the street early in the morning then quickly receded. Luckily my house sits on a little hill. Haven't had any problems since then as it was a one-time deal (knock on wood).

Anyway, the water rose to the bottom of my MINI seats. The headlights were turning themselves on and off one at a time.......kinda Stephen King-ish. I was able to start the car, vacuum the water out, and drive it to my nearest MINI dealer (5 miles away). Various interior idiot lights came on en route.

Car was at the dealer for 6 weeks and they gutted the entire inside and replaced the carpet, floor mats, the main wiring harness, speedometer, O2 sensors, ABS module, and bunches of electrical boxes and other components.

The car ran great after being fixed and put back together..........was tight and drove like it did before the flood.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:05 PM
MiniMack46
2nd Gear
I am also very curious about how much you paid for the totaled MINI

Old 03-31-2010, 04:02 AM
n559br
1st Gear
For the car alone in the 12K range. With all the repairs around 15K.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:38 PM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, great stories folks, and impressive electric work all around. Any chance of photos of these MINIs come back from the dead? Gallery, posting, flickr...?

Old 04-02-2010, 11:41 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
A daring move, wish you the best of luck for the future.