R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman or 2010 Prius? What to do, what to do...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 07:22 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by muladesigns1
from what ive heard of the hybrid vehicles is that when you factor in all the costs of maintenance, repairs and such. They end up coming out to $10. per gallon in the grand scheme of owning one. I heard this on the mark salem car show on KTAR.
No, that number doesn't sound like he pulled it straight out of his *** - not at all!

Seriously, run the numbers using any realistic assumptions as far as gas mileage, gas cost, miles driven per year, vehicle lifetime and repair costs (remembering that hybrids have warranties just like any other car), and you'll realize just how ridiculous his claim is.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:02 PM
trow
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I'm no math wiz, that's for sure (my right brain keeps taking over), but how about this example?

100,000 miles at 50mpg = 2,000 gallons x $4 /gal. = $8,000 of gas in Prius

100,000 miles at 35mpg = 2,857 gallons x $4/gal = $11,428 of gas in Mini

Difference = $3,428

Old 04-19-2009, 08:08 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
Im just saying what I heard from someone who has been repairing vehicles for over 30 years.
He also owns a hybrid tahoe that his wife drives, which he services, so I'm assuming he knows a little bit of this as a shop owner and a customer.
He has a very solid reputation with automotive knowledge.

you are just taking gas into affect, not maintenance, which is not warrantied

Old 04-19-2009, 08:12 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by trow
Okay, I'm no math wiz, that's for sure (my right brain keeps taking over), but how about this example?

100,000 miles at 50mpg = 2,000 gallons x $4 /gal. = $8,000 of gas in Prius

100,000 miles at 35mpg = 2,857 gallons x $4/gal = $11,428 of gas in Mini

Difference = $3,428
Your math is right, but it's not illustrating the point that the radio host was making. He said that because of extra repairs & maintenance, driving a hybrid was equivalent to paying $10/gallon for gas.

So to use your numbers, that's $8000 in gas for the Prius at $4/gallon, or $20,000 if gas were hypothetically $10/gallon. Do you really think that a hybrid is going to have an extra $12000 of maintenance/repair costs between the end of the warranty period and the 100k mile point compared to a conventional car?

Old 04-19-2009, 08:32 PM
trow
1st Gear
Right, right, I guess I've just always wanted to figure the gas difference out.

Maintenance- if the 2010 Prius is like the Insight, the battery will be covered under warranty for 100,000 miles.

To tell you the truth, I was more concerned with the maintenance of the Mini over the Prius never having owned one. Someone was just saying how expensive parts, are.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:47 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BuzzCut1
um Prius maxed out it's car pool lane access stickers over a year ago. New Prius ownes do not get to ride solo in the car pool lane
The federal tax rebates are also long gone.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:05 PM
jointheclubman
2nd Gear
I don't know if the Prius will have $12,000 worth of maintenance over 100,000 miles, but one thing I know for sure is that the Clubman will be way more fun.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:34 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by jointheclubman
I don't know if the Prius will have $12,000 worth of maintenance over 100,000 miles, but one thing I know for sure is that the Clubman will be way more fun.
Oh, no argument there - it just really chaps my *** when people like that radio show host throw out ridiculous numbers that don't even pass the most basic "sniff test".

Old 04-19-2009, 11:05 PM
hobbs4002
2nd Gear
Contrary to popular belief, hybrids are not at all "Eco Friendly" at all...

Glad you went with the clubman....

Old 04-20-2009, 04:29 PM
emoore
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hobbs4002
Contrary to popular belief, hybrids are not at all "Eco Friendly" at all...

Glad you went with the clubman....
I know they are just as bad as full size pickups

Old 04-21-2009, 07:15 AM
wampa
3rd Gear
The Prius is a turd. If all you care about is mileage, it is fantastic. But if all you cared about is mileage, you would never even have made it to this site.

But all those cool Hollywood people drive Priususesueses so maybe we should drive them.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Dead Ringer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wampa
The Prius is a turd. If all you care about is mileage, it is fantastic. But if all you cared about is mileage, you would never even have made it to this site.

But all those cool Hollywood people drive Priususesueses so maybe we should drive them.
thanks for calling my other car a piece of turd , have a happy day yourself..

Old 04-21-2009, 08:32 AM
trow
1st Gear
Dead Ringer - You've got the best of both worlds in my book!

Old 04-21-2009, 08:38 AM
reACTION
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@deadringer-
I wouldn't call it a turd but a souless appliance.

I think its funny how people with hybrids thing they are doing the world a huge service by using less oil. Thats all well and good (and narrow sighted)but what about when it comes to replace the batteries? There are very lethal chemicals in them that are really not to nice for people or the environment not to mention the very eco unfriendly way batteries are made.
also they aren't made with more ecofriendly materials either; I'll bet you can recycle more of a high zoot Mercedes or a mini for that matter than any Prius.
Eco friendly? Not so much. Misguided hollywood hyped political statement? Sure.
-gets off soap box-

Old 04-21-2009, 08:41 AM
Surfink
4th Gear
Different Horses for Different Courses..

Old 04-21-2009, 08:46 AM
wampa
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by reACTION
@deadringer-
I wouldn't call it a turd but a souless appliance.

I think its funny how people with hybrids thing they are doing the world a huge service by using less oil. Thats all well and good (and narrow sighted)but what about when it comes to replace the batteries? There are very lethal chemicals in them that are really not to nice for people or the environment not to mention the very eco unfriendly way batteries are made.
also they aren't made with more ecofriendly materials either; I'll bet you can recycle more of a high zoot Mercedes or a mini for that matter than any Prius.
Eco friendly? Not so much. Misguided hollywood hyped political statement? Sure.
-gets off soap box-
Exactly. Let's keep on believing that driving a Prius is really helping at all. The only thing its helping is your wallet, it certainly isn't helping the environment.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:48 AM
wampa
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Dead Ringer
thanks for calling my other car a piece of turd , have a happy day yourself..
I think its a turd. I didn't say I would never drive one. I happen to think driving my MINI WOT and getting 26 mpg is good enough.

I certainly don't think companies should be pressured into making only turdboxes though because of supposed carbon caps. (psst Obama) That is simply communistic and un-American. I will drive whatever I please in this land of the free thank you very much.

Newsflash, many many many of my friends think my car is a turd or a girly car or a G-AY car. I don't really care what other people think. Drive what you want, that is America.

But I think its a turd.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Dead Ringer
4th Gear
I didnt want the car, I think its butt ugly, but since I added a full suspension its not that bad to drive. We really enjoyed driving it last year (avg about 49mpg) when gas hit $4.00 a gallon.

Still its not a "turd"... thats just, well to be nice, rude!!

Old 04-21-2009, 08:54 AM
bigsoup52
6th Gear
What was said earlier, I say DITTO!,

"In the Clubman, you'll be accelerating to get around traffic, taking the back roads, wishing you lived even farther from your office, and joining MINI owners clubs in your area. As you may soon discover, you're not just buying a MINI, you're joining a cult!"

My neighbor, who is an actuary for an Insurance company, (and quite a conservative personality-type) bought a brand new 2008 Prius last year. She was all PC about the great MPG, the online graphing, hyper-miling, coasting, etc. She was really enjoying the Prius groove. Last month I let her drive my Mini Cooper. Now she wants to trade in her Prius and get a Mini, so go figure!

Old 04-21-2009, 08:58 AM
wampa
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bigsoup52
What was said earlier, I say DITTO!,

"In the Clubman, you'll be accelerating to get around traffic, taking the back roads, wishing you lived even farther from your office, and joining MINI owners clubs in your area. As you may soon discover, you're not just buying a MINI, you're joining a cult!"

My neighbor, who is an actuary for an Insurance company, (and quite a conservative personality-type) bought a brand new 2008 Prius last year. She was all PC about the great MPG, the online graphing, hyper-miling, coasting, etc. She was really enjoying the Prius groove. Last month I let her drive my Mini Cooper. Now she wants to trade in her Prius and get a Mini, so go figure!

I never understood hypermiling or coasting in the Prius. Jeez, you're already getting 40+mpg.

Weirdos.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:50 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
I say lets throw some more fuel on the fire by exposing the "myth" of global warming and it's impact on the earth. (not)

Old 04-21-2009, 03:44 PM
wampa
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by muladesigns1
I say lets throw some more fuel on the fire by exposing the "myth" of global warming and it's impact on the earth. (not)
Total myth. Don't drink the Koolaid. And I work for a green company that is going to make a killing off you people believing it.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:49 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wampa
Total myth. Don't drink the Koolaid. And I work for a green company that is going to make a killing off you people believing it.
Oh, but I don't beleive in it.
Or the "go Green" eco friendly BS!
But I think I may change professions and start selling "green" products to gullible American tree huggers

Old 04-21-2009, 03:56 PM
otterdad
3rd Gear
Old 04-21-2009, 04:23 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the above article:

"Mini, on the other hand, makes a lot more horsepower, has a much better suspension set-up, is infinitely more fun to look at and drive than Prius (or most any other car in any price range) and it's made by BMW, never a negative.

The numbers may tell one story, but because cars are still all about emotion, fun, sex and fashion, there's a large audience of drivers and car-buyers you'd have a hard time convincing that the Prius is "better" than the Mini, green factors considered or not.

Isn't "green" just another marketing scam when cars are still being powered by dead dinosaurs?"

Amen!!!

Quick Reply: R55 Clubman or 2010 Prius? What to do, what to do...