R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Universal Garage Opener

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Parkerton
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Universal Garage Opener

So I was in my garage yesterday and tried to open the garage using my universal garage opener built into my rear view mirror (I forget whether this was an option or built into all Clubmans). Anyways, I realized that the universal garage opener wouldn't open unless I started the car first. But who starts a car with the garage door closed? Does your universal garage opener require that your car be on? Should I get the dealer to look at this?

Old 02-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Alto Clef
2nd Gear
Yes, apparently the MINI needs to be on for the garage door opener to work.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:01 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
That's pretty commonplace for most Homelink style systems. My wife's Bimmer and her last M-Benz did it the same way.

I think the presumption is that you've used the hardwired switch next to your back door/staircase to open the garage first then entered the car...

Old 02-07-2009, 10:14 AM
KyleMc569
1st Gear
I think it is a design flaw. My Audi never had this problem. On cold mornings, I like to leave the garage door closed. I also have to remember to close the door right before I turn off the car. Why can't it be wired to constant 12v or even accessory 12v?

Old 02-07-2009, 10:19 AM
proximal
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The car doesn't need to be started but you need to have it in Accessory mode (or whatever the equivalent is with the push button- just push it twice). Some cars have it so that the button always works, but when I had that I was always nervous about parking outside. It's way too easy for someone to gain access to your garage and house by simply breaking a window on your car.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:27 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Exactly... ^ that's why it works the way it does. And I'm glad.

I've had at least four cars now with homelink, and they all worked this way (only one was a MINI)... I wouldn't even think about trying to open the garage door from inside the car before starting it... I always use the button on the wall, so by the time I'm in the car, the door is open...

Old 02-07-2009, 11:49 AM
MaxGSeeker
3rd Gear
Its a trade off between security and convenience. I'd rather have security on this one. I'm actually considering re-wiring my other car with Homelink so it requires the key.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxGSeeker
Its a trade off between security and convenience. I'd rather have security on this one. I'm actually considering re-wiring my other car with Homelink so it requires the key.
Exactly. If you happen to not park in the garage one night. It's pretty easy to break in and press the little button to open up the garage. My neighborhood had a few dozen of those break ins last year. The thieves were after things in the car like GPS, cell phones, chargers, and opened up garages to steal tools and anything else they could find.

It's the same type of thinking as not leaving the garage door remote on your sun visor when you aren't parking inside at night.

The Mini's method is fine with me. I use the hardwired button on the wall to open/close the door anyway. If you don't have a hardwired button, just hang another battery powered button on a nail.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:03 PM
jjkell
2nd Gear
My remote garage door opener doesn't work, period. From what's I've read on this thread I'm guessing the initial sync must take place with the engine on. Is this correct?

Old 02-09-2009, 01:10 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jjkell
My remote garage door opener doesn't work, period. From what's I've read on this thread I'm guessing the initial sync must take place with the engine on. Is this correct?
No. Besure you are on accessory mode (Press the key all the way into the slot) but no need to start the engine.

Next you have to grab an old remote garage opener already programmed with the correct code. Get the opener close to the rearview mirror and press both, the garage door opener button and the homelink button so the programming/learning process takes place.

I have the factory homelink mirror in my 2005 MCS and the programming was done in the showroom (Key has to be in accessory mode) before we took off. When I got home, the building gate opened from the Homelink no problems.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:18 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Programming process can vary depending on what you're trying to get it to work with... different openers behave differently...

See here:
http://www.homelink.com/programming/programming.taf

Old 02-09-2009, 01:21 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
My building uses an older Chamberlain system with jumpers so programming can indeed vary.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:34 PM
jjkell
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info ClubmanS. I'll try programming it in "accessory" mode.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:35 PM
ART ED
4th Gear
I had homelink on my 2003 Chevy SSR and it worked whether the car was on or off seamlessly. The clubman definitely has to be on or accessory switch on to make it do it thingy. I do miss that chevy! But I am having way more fun in my clubmanS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This laser blue color also seems to always stay clean!!!!! It almost never looks dirty (my SSR was smokin asphalt (black)). The boot and roof do collect some debris but it comes off nicely with my california duster.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:07 PM
DiggyDog
3rd Gear
My Maxima's Homelink would open the door whether the car was on or not. The garage door didn;t change so I cna only assume that someone at MINI designed it this way.

There is a safety aspect. If it worked the other way someone could open your car window with a brick and then open your garage with the Homelink...

Old 02-14-2017, 10:14 AM
DaveLChgo
1st Gear
2008 Clubman. Manual Transmission. I had the same issue with wanting to get into car first, then open the garage door. I learned about accessory mode. For a manual trans, put the key fob in, do not press the clutch, press the start button. The car is now accessory mode and universal remote is now active. Not sure about auto trans folks. Hope this helps other owners out there.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:24 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Almost all cars now have safety lockouts built in so you can't start the car without stepping on the brake and having the car in P or N for an auto. If you press the start button without pressing the brake, it should activate the accessory setting only.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:18 PM
Titleist76
2nd Gear
I just installed a new Chaimberlain door opener. Despite me checking if it would work with the Mini, I've tried about 500 ways and way too many hours to get it to work. It's pissed me off. I'm done with it. I'll just use the stupid app on my phone.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:35 PM
DaveLChgo
1st Gear
@Titleist
I know how you feel... the video that mini produced is way over simplified. I went back to the manual to get the real step by step instructions. Fast blinking and slow blinking lights have a different meaning during setup. But the video made no mention about it. So I can relate about spending an hour or two trying to get something to work. In the end though, mine works just fine on a chamberlain opener.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:39 PM
Titleist76
2nd Gear
I watched probably ten Chaimberlain, BMW, and Mini tutorials. They all had different nuances. I looked at the manual. Maybe I'll retry it just to get the door opener out of my car, but it really shouldn't be that difficult.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:40 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
For people who have just recently installed a NEW Chamberlain door opener please note that due to changes in HomeLink recently the older vehicles will NOT be abpe to control the door without extra hardware for the garage door opener.

You will need a "Compatability Bridge"

How do i know this you ask.

I have two garage doors one with a 6 year old Chamberlain opener that works great with my 2008 MINI.

My new garage just built last summer has a new 8 month old Chamberlain opener. It DOES NOT work with my 2008 MINI.

After spending over 3 hours researching why this is it all comes down to changes HomeLink made a year or so ago with the way the signals work between the conrtil and opener.

HomeLink makes a Compatability Bridge that resolves these issues. With the compatability bridge on the new garage opener the MINI now works with the new opener.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:35 PM
Titleist76
2nd Gear
That makes sense. I installed a MyQ instead. But I still might buy that bridge. Dumb that I have to spend another $30 on the bridge.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:25 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
One would think that they could make the openers 100% backward compatible but this is the business mentality of "how can we screw the end user and make them spend more money".

Old 02-28-2017, 05:02 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
$$$ is usually the case, but hopefully the change is improved security for whatever wireless technology they are using in the openers now. The bridge sounds like their answer to backwards compatability, but it might also less secure. It's probably secure enough for most, but it would negate their latest security offering if it was built into the current opener.

On another note, anyone have an issue with Homelink and Chamberlain when running two door openers? My '05 Homelink has two buttons programmed for two doors. Every few months, pressing one button will randomely send a signal to both doors. Once that happens, the door which was not supposed to activate will not respond to it's programmed button unless the pairing procedure is re-done.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:25 AM
Titleist76
2nd Gear
I got a call from Chaimberlain in regards to my displeasure of having to buy a compatibility bridge. They basically said, "sorry, tough luck". She counted off how old my car was. I told her it was a safety issue for my wife to have to open an app on the phone to open a g.d. garage door (with MyQ). She did say that two years ago, they would send out the Bridge for free, minus shipping, but that's no longer available. Freaking irritating, since they own a monopoly on the business, outside of Genie and a few small companies.